ADVERTISEMENT

Encouraging Stat

PushupMan

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Phil Steele often uses the total yardage differential as a sign of the overall strength of a team, so I thought I'd take a look at how we're doing in that area. This year, we are +40.0 yards per game (435.7 versus 395.7). Last year for all 13 games, we were +7.2 (447.3 versus 440.1).

We are down just slightly in offensive production (-11.6 ypg). At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I've attributed that difference to the loss of Mekhi Becton's dominant blocking. Defenses would have to favor his side in the run game, which would make opposing defenses vulnerable to the cutback run. Louisville's rushing game is averaging 37.7 yards less per game this year than last, but our passing yardage has increased by about 16 yards per game.

Our rushing defense has improved very slightly, yielding 201.0 yards per game this year to 205.9 last year. Where we have improved significantly is in the passing game, where we are giving up slightly less than 200 yards per game.

If we can at least break even these last four games in the turnover department, we've got a great chance to finish the season on a winning streak. That -11 turnover margin has just been killing us. We were just -2 last season.

I think TOs balance out for the most part and we’re way past due a few in our favor.

Yes, some teams are better than others at “creating” TOs but it chaps me when we’re digging at the ball while the runner is getting another 3, 5, or even 10 more yards.

I’ll take solid tackling EVERY play, and get more 3-and-outs vs the occasional TO in the long run.

But that’s just me.

Reactions: PushupMan
We are playing a tougher schedule this year as well.
speaking of Becton, he is currently tearing up the NFL the way he tore up college. It can’t be fun playing for the Jets but he is a rare bright spot for them. I hope they trade him to the Packers. They’re dumb enough to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT