ADVERTISEMENT

Eaves...

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
IMO the guy evidently has a major axe to grind with UofL and basically everyone else. He hits me as a super negative, unhappy person. I rarely listen to his radio talk show. But, I heard he had Tim “Mr. Sunshine” Sullivan on today so I caught about the last half-hour of it.

While Bob Valvano was taking haymakers at Sullivan on his show for the “Booster/Kenny Payne trash article”, ole Jerry was patting Tim on the back on his show. I keep waiting to see if Jerry pops up behind the blue bench with Papa John.

I think Eaves is bitter because the whole coaching thing didn’t work out for him. He was 99-180 in his years at North Carolina A&T and now he’s currently 3-10 at Simmons College. I’ve tried looking up his overall record at Simmons but can’t find it. On the Simmons website he has no bio, I think I know why. The guy can’t coach his own team(s) but he can sure X & O on the radio!

I don’t think he’s ever had a winning record as a head coach. But I do remember his press conference the day he took the Simmons job. I’m paraphrasing but he basically said they would play like no one else ever had. Well, I think they’re still waiting at Simmons for that.

I dont listen to his show , but i guess
He probably is upset how Coach Crum was let go, then an ex SuCkS coach was hired.
Top it off with the University receiving major penalties with one more to go.

Eaves put in the work, blood and sweat as a player and coach here to earn his opinion.

I'm surprised with Eaves. He never seems to be on the side of the administration. Maybe it's because he's never been considered to join a staff here or something.

Loved the guy as a player, he's turned into those two old Muppets later in life.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Eaves was a Crum guy.

Crum was the best coach we ever had and Wade Houston was one of the best [if not the best] recruiter we ever had. Once Wade left, we started to go downhill. There was no better X & O coach than Denny but TJ pulled that trigger rather quick and went for the hot name, the rest is history.

I agree with Kerry that Eaves was probably upset the way Crum went down.

I listened to his show today and yes he is on Tim's side not suprising. Jerry brags about how he upsets the U of L fanbase. He is bitter for alot of reasons and yes he can have an opinion of his school he has earned it. However what other program do you see former players that are so negative towards their former school? And i'm sure their are plenty out their but they keep heir mouth closed rather than say negative things. His callers are mostly Uk fans anyway plus he is on 1080 a UK network channel .

I spoke to him about his U of L negatively at Bluegrass Audi one evening were he worked and he basically was a pompus ahole . And stated he didn't care. True story

Eaves was a Crum guy.

Crum was the best coach we ever had and Wade Houston was one of the best [if not the best] recruiter we ever had. Once Wade left, we started to go downhill. There was no better X & O coach than Denny but TJ pulled that trigger rather quick and went for the hot name, the rest is history.

TJ pulled the trigger quick? I don’t think so. Denny was awesome, but he filled Wade’s spot with Larry Gay. That hire is on him. Denny was more than compensated to walk away, TJ did the right thing. The last 3-4 years of Denny were painful.

Its kind of weird how diff people see things. A couple years ago saw Lancaster at grocery couldn't resist spoke with him. He was friendly it was D Mitch Soph year and he loved that team. He was just a positive speaker for the min we chatted. You could tell he kept up with the team and was full support. Would Eaves be like that?

I listened to his show today and yes he is on Tim's side not suprising. Jerry brags about how he upsets the U of L fanbase. He is bitter for alot of reasons and yes he can have an opinion of his school he has earned it. However what other program do you see former players that are so negative towards their former school? And i'm sure their are plenty out their but they keep heir mouth closed rather than say negative things. His callers are mostly Uk fans anyway plus he is on 1080 a UK network channel .

I spoke to him about his U of L negatively at Bluegrass Audi one evening were he worked and he basically was a pompus ahole . And stated he didn't care. True story
If Eaves was a UL homer his radio show would have never made it on 1080. The majority of his listeners are Cats fans that just spent a couple of hours listening to Matt TBAG Jones' jibber jabber. Very juvenile and very tough to listen to for any period of time.

Eaves was a Crum guy.

I agree with everything you said with one big exception. TJ pulled the trigger to fast. I would argue Denny hung around to long. Loved Denny and still do but like many successful people he didn’t know when it was time to retire and they can end up tarnishing their reputation. Thankfully it wasn’t a full out fire him by the fans, but the cupboard was bare when he left and he could no longer recruit. The program was floundering. Had TJ hired anyone other than Pitino (His reputation) it would have taken many more years to recover. As it was it took him several years.

Eaves issue is a selfish one. He never got an opportunity to coach here and truthfully he’s become such a cancer I’m not sure I would have wanted him anywhere near the program.

All that said he has the right to blabber whatever he wants. No matter how stupid it makes him look because he lives in the U.S. I just choose not listen to him. He’s just a big ole sour puss.

The sad thing about Coach Crum is that he never lost his ability to Coach. The recruiting game passed him by. We where never in the game to utilize his coaching skills.

The saddest days sitting on press row was the two seasons we won 12 games under Denny. Press row was thin, but somehow we were able to fill the seats in Freedom Hall. This was before these new HD TV's.

My source tells me that Eaves show is financially backed by Matty Bangs brass. So, take that for what it’s worth.

Paid to trash UofL plus, a bitter alum. No way I’d listen to that crap.

Sullivan can kick rocks too. That fossil needs to be canned. He’s just terrible, not even when he deals with UofL, he’s just absolutely terrible. I’d rather be trapped in a room and forced to listen to Lachlame on the radio than read anything Sullivan pens...

My source tells me that Eaves show is financially backed by Matty Bangs brass. So, take that for what it’s worth.

Paid to trash UofL plus, a bitter alum. No way I’d listen to that crap.

Sullivan can kick rocks too. That fossil needs to be canned. He’s just terrible, not even when he deals with UofL, he’s just absolutely terrible. I’d rather be trapped in a room and forced to listen to Lachlame on the radio than read anything Sullivan pens...
Yell its odd about Eaves being backed by KSR i've heard him numerous times stating how he was in the UK locker room after games and practices. When he first started that show all he did was brag about Uk players and their program.

Makes me wonder now if he wasn't and still is Matts U of L mole. I could easily see that considering Eaves was very close to a few board members .

The sad thing about Coach Crum is that he never lost his ability to Coach. The recruiting game passed him by. We where never in the game to utilize his coaching skills.

The saddest days sitting on press row was the two seasons we won 12 games under Denny. Press row was thin, but somehow we were able to fill the seats in Freedom Hall. This was before these new HD TV's.
It wasn’t just recruiting that passed him by, he basically chose not to acknowledge the three-point line from an offensive standpoint. One of the many nails in his coaching coffin toward the end of his tenure.

Last edited:
And why does he continue to call Butch Beard “Coach”, when did he last coach??? What a joke!

I looked it up. I guess if Eaves considers himself a “Coach” with his record he can identify with Beard’s career as a so-called “Coach”. Beard went 84-174 during his college coaching career at Morgan State & Howard. Wow, but both those guys can sure X & O on that radio show! Comical.

It wasn’t just recruiting that passed him by, he basically chose not to acknowledge the three-point line from an offensive standpoint. One of the many bails in his coaching coffin toward the end of his tenure.

Not true.
Second year of 3 point line, Cards attempts doubled from the 1st year.

Coach Crum embraced the three. He was always just a player or 2 away.

Chapman, Houston, derek Anderson, Dan langhi, lamont barnes, Isaiah victor etc.........

Also, Beard hasn’t coached in 14 years and had only one winning season in his college coaching career.

So, between the these two radio geniuses they have one winning season coaching in almost 400 games. But they can sure dish out the self righteous advice and have all the answers. Again - comical.

Last edited:
What I remember was Denny quit going to practice and the assistant coaches ran the practices. I loved Denny and still do I am glad he is still around the program. I also remember when they retired Coach Crum he was well compensated Junior Bridgeman
Made sure of that.
I think he was making $500,000 per year for 10 years. He was making more money than most Head Coaches at that time.

Reactions: PHCARD and gocds
What I remember was Denny quit going to practice and the assistant coaches ran the practices. I loved Denny and still do I am glad he is still around the program. I also remember when they retired Coach Crum he was well compensated Junior Bridgeman
Made sure of that.
I think he was making $500,000 per year for 10 years. He was making more money than most Head Coaches at that time.
Try more like $800,000 a year for 10 years. As well as an office on campus with a secretary.

Try more like $800,000 a year. And an office on campus with a secretary.
Made sure of that.
Also, Jerry Jones ran more practices than Denny ever did. They were open more than closed back then, I attended my share. Jones ran the majority of them I was at.

Reactions: gocds
KozmasAgain said:

Made sure of that.

Try more like $800,000 a year for 10 years. As well as an office on campus with a secretary.
[/quote]
Yep it could have ended far worse for Denny. He remains an Icon here and a beloved coach. Bet Pitino and TJ would trade place in a flash.

Yep it could have ended far worse for Denny. He remains an Icon here and a beloved coach. Bet Pitino and TJ would trade place in a flash.[/QUOTE]
They all got paid pretty well, I think they’ll all be ok.

Rick will be back in time to take his place as a Cardinal legend. I think he loved the city too much to stay away and the fans love him. I could see him being resentful of Mack for a bit, but he knows we love him.

TJ and his son throwing that bomb about season tickets at Tyra was definitely a sign that they’re not cool with “Vince” because of his ties to the admin that took him out. I doubt we see him for a while.

Eaves was a Crum guy.

Was Crum really going to turn it around. TJ is gone and Eaves is grinding an axe 2 decades later. He is hyping sullivan cause he wanted to let Payne run the program into the ground.

Was Crum really going to turn it around. TJ is gone and Eaves is grinding an axe 2 decades later. He is hyping sullivan cause he wanted to let Payne run the program into the ground.
And IMO that would have happened. Or maybe he was convinced that KP would have hired him at $400K a year or more as an assistant? It’s interesting, Mack has been nothing but inviting to all the Cards of the past but Eaves is having none of it. Instead he’s in bed with Matt Jones, our local Putin.

Reactions: ciswilldean3215
Not true.
Second year of 3 point line, Cards attempts doubled from the 1st year.

Coach Crum embraced the three. He was always just a player or 2 away.

Chapman, Houston, derek Anderson, Dan langhi, lamont barnes, Isaiah victor etc.........
Coach Crum implemented to three point shot in his coaching but he was not a fan of the shot. He hated that rule change. He felt that if you were going to award a player more points by shooting further away from the goal then they should go all the way. Award 4 points for a 30 footer, 5 points for a half court shot, etc...etc...The 3 point shot changed the game and coaching strategies too.

Coach Crum implemented to three point shot in his coaching but he was not a fan of the shot. He hated that rule change. He felt that if you were going to award a player more points by shooting further away from the goal then they should go all the way. Award 4 points for a 30 footer, 5 points for a half court shot, etc...etc...The 3 point shot changed the game and coaching strategies too.

Coach never said he wasn't a fan of the shot, he said it was implemented during a down turn in his recruiting. He specifically stated if it was around in 1986 they could have mailed him the trophy. He had Milt and Jeff Hall that shot from that distance with ease.

We’ve seen the “records” of Eaves and Beard. How about Kenny Payne’s record as a head coach? Hmmmmm, oh yeah, HE’S NEVER BEEN A HEAD COACH. Jeeze are those guys nuckin’ futz, or what!!! This, unfortunately, is racism in reverse. If Kenny Payne were Caucasian we’d never hear his name from those guys. And I absolutely hate to bring the possibility of racism into this discussion but I think it’s necessary for the truth to be brought about. Eaves is a matty jones hack and I think he likes it.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

We’ve seen the “records” of Eaves and Beard. How about Kenny Payne’s record as a head coach? Hmmmmm, oh yeah, HE’S NEVER BEEN A HEAD COACH. Jeeze are those guys nuckin’ futz, or what!!! This, unfortunately, is racism in reverse. If Kenny Payne were Caucasian we’d never hear his name from those guys. And I absolutely hate to bring the possibility of racism into this discussion but I think it’s necessary for the truth to be brought about. Eaves is a matty jones hack and I think he likes it.

Now as much as Eaves is disappointing me . I being AA understand his point of view about Payne on some points he makes .I'll just leave it at that!

And IMO that would have happened. Or maybe he was convinced that KP would have hired him at $400K a year or more as an assistant? It’s interesting, Mack has been nothing but inviting to all the Cards of the past but Eaves is having none of it. Instead he’s in bed with Matt Jones, our local Putin.
No fan of Putin, but to equate him with Matt Jones is over the top. lol

Reactions: transpac
The game had passed Denny by and he thought he’d be able to stay forever.

After leaving the Metro, we never won a conference tournament title or regular season title the last 6 years. We didn’t win a tournament game he last 4 years. We missed the tournament 2 of the last 4 years, both times having a losing record.

25 years was a long time and the game had changed. He though because we were in a small conference and he won those titles that he’d hang on forever. But Howard changed that when he took our football program to another level.

Tom came in and there was a new football stadium and a big fan base. Corporate money and other big donors gave us the ability to start competing big. TJ made the move to get Rick and sadly we couldn’t give Denny his farewell tour.

It was a business decision. Could it have been handled better, sure. But it was the right move and we wouldn’t be in the ACC without that move.

The game had passed Denny by and he thought he’d be able to stay forever.

After leaving the Metro, we never won a conference tournament title or regular season title the last 6 years. We didn’t win a tournament game he last 4 years. We missed the tournament 2 of the last 4 years, both times having a losing record.

25 years was a long time and the game had changed. He though because we were in a small conference and he won those titles that he’d hang on forever. But Howard changed that when he took our football program to another level.

Tom came in and there was a new football stadium and a big fan base. Corporate money and other big donors gave us the ability to start competing big. TJ made the move to get Rick and sadly we couldn’t give Denny his farewell tour.

It was a business decision. Could it have been handled better, sure. But it was the right move and we wouldn’t be in the ACC without that move.
Agree 100%

I think some of it has to do with how Pitino treated Crum players...basically isolated them from the program. Didn’t welcome them around the complex, weren’t invited to attend any events or practices, etc. Also, Rick had no relationship with Crum. Just how he was, I guess. That pissed guys like Eaves off, I’m sure.

I think some of it has to do with how Pitino treated Crum players...basically isolated them from the program. Didn’t welcome them around the complex, weren’t invited to attend any events or practices, etc. Also, Rick had no relationship with Crum. Just how he was, I guess. That pissed guys like Eaves off, I’m sure.
I call BS. Rick’s been gone two years. And his piss & moan act continues.

You can put some of that blame on Crum also. He was pissed he got "retired" and held a grudge. Why is it all on Pitino to have a relationship with Crum when he is constantly grinding his axe? The way I was told, it wasn't that the old players couldn't come around, it was that they wanted to catered to more than they were and therefore didn't feel welcome. If we are being honest, I doubt Mack would be so inviting to the Crum era players if the circumstances around Pitino's firing didn't happen. Had Pitino just retired without everything happening I don't think the push to hype the Crum era would be happening.

Now as much as Eaves is disappointing me . I being AA understand his point of view about Payne on some points he makes .I'll just leave it at that!

IMO Beard and Eaves were having two different arguments when Mack was hired. Beard was pushing for an a black candidate to be considered which is why he wasn't so adamant that it was Payne. Eaves just wanted his friend to get the job. IMO one of Tyra's bigger gaffes was even publicly considering Payne. He isn't really qualified for the job and they are black candidated way more qualified to be options. It really came off like he interviewed Payne so he could say we were being diverse more than anything else.

We could have hired Ed Cooley or Kevin Keatts and Eaves would still be complaining. His argument would likely be we should have hired someone with Louisville ties cause he real argument is for his friend and wanting a black coach is just nice cover.

Its kind of weird how diff people see things. A couple years ago saw Lancaster at grocery couldn't resist spoke with him. He was friendly it was D Mitch Soph year and he loved that team. He was just a positive speaker for the min we chatted. You could tell he kept up with the team and was full support. Would Eaves be like that?
Lancaster is one of my favorites and always friendly and positive.

About Pitino vs. Crum, that was just a natural rivalry between two competitors.

Denny Crum came from the John Wooden staff. Won 2 national titles and was the king of the 1980’s. Pitino was just some young kid and Crum was the master.

Then they become UL/UK rivals. Denny and UL were the better program when Rick came to Lexington. Rick’s goal was to become the best and that meant dominating his rival every year in Denny Crum.

By the time Rick left, Rick was the king of college basketball and Denny was a shell of his former self. UK was the top program by 1997 and UL had fallen from the elites.

That coach that was a young punk in the 1980’s now passed him as he got old. His former rival was no longer a rival as Denny lost his fastball. Then that young punk not only was better than him now, he came into his program and got him pushed out of what he built.

Rick sees everyone as the enemy that isn’t on his team. Denny was his rival. He unseated him and still looked at him like the “old guard” that he felt didn’t respect him when he was a young coach.

Natural tension on both sides. Two coaching giants with large legacies. Rivals against each other. Then one replaces the other.

They were NEVER going to get along.

Reactions: CardsvsCats2019
I dont listen to his show , but i guess
He probably is upset how Coach Crum was let go, then an ex SuCkS coach was hired.
Top it off with the University receiving major penalties with one more to go.

Eaves put in the work, blood and sweat as a player and coach here to earn his opinion.

I will agree that Eaves put in his time on the court and for that I thank him. I also know he was a Crum guy and there is a lot to not like about the 'way' Crum's tenure ended but the numbers show 'why' it was ended.

None of that gives Eaves the right to be a total d-bag on the program the way he is in my opinion. He was a good, not great, player and he was/is a bad, not good, coach. He can go away and suck on the blue balls of matty bangs and Kenny payne all he wants. I have zero use or tolerance for him (or for Timmy "I have a history of being a negative beotch" Sullivan).

F them both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT