ADVERTISEMENT

Eaves & Beard U of L smear campaign

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
Butch Beard has written a letter to U of L informing them to remove his name imagine and likeness from their records and books. And has forwarded this to the media and NCAA.
He wrote this on the basis that he and Eaves say that U of L hasn't done their job helping or hiring former minority athletes. Now I'm aa myself however I think his anger has some validity but not totality I find it odd Jerry and him have no comment about the UK fanbase and their actions toward their AA players hmm. Jerry really wants his school to look bad why would you put something out their like that when the school is facing ncaa issues just something negative for the committee too gave in their minds. SMH

Doesn't Butch know that he doesn't control his image or likeness during the time that he was a student-athlete at UofL? Was there any specificity regarding his belief that UofL has not "helped" former student-athletes - minority or otherwise? Does he state what sort of help he believes that former student-athletes should receive from the university? Does his belief that the university should help former student-athletes extend to any other sports beyond basketball? How about former student-athletes of non-revenue sports? What about the entirety of former students of the university?

Doesn't Butch know that he doesn't control his image or likeness during the time that he was a student-athlete at UofL? Was there any specificity regarding his belief that UofL has not "helped" former student-athletes - minority or otherwise? Does he state what sort of help he believes that former student-athletes should receive from the university? Does his belief that the university should help former student-athletes extend to any other sports beyond basketball? How about former student-athletes of non-revenue sports? What about the entirety of former students of the university?
The entire letter will be out tomorrow so that will be the opportunity to read his arguments. Just a little caveat i know alot of former AA athletes at U of L problem is a majority of them never finished their degrees especially the Crum era guys . Some never seeked employment then their are a few that were hired their Derwin Webb comes to mind . I really now see Jerry is mad he never got a shot to be HC and Beard i dont understand him from what i've read on him from the pros he was not a likeable guy .

This from a UK fan should tell you about Mr.UK Eaves

@JerryEaves5

·
Jan 12

Mr. Eaves I heard your comments on the KSR show this morning and I want to thank you for some of the most intelligent well thought out comments I have heard over the last few days. I hope you continue to help and mentor young people and even some of us older folks!

What about UofL Football hiring Cooper but most importantly Charlie Strong when no one else gave him an HC chance.? Not UofLs fault he bolted for Texas.

What about UofL Football hiring Cooper but most importantly Charlie Strong when no one else gave him an HC chance.? Not UofLs fault he bolted for Texas.
I kinda raised my eybrows about those two myself Beard is an old cranky man now set in his ways. Personally i think this is all Eaves doing that Kenny Payne issue .

I know that since the Crum era UL has encouraged former players who left without graduating, to return and complete their degrees. I don't think that was specifically directed at African-Americans but I know of specific players who did take advantage of the program.

I know that since the Crum era UL has encouraged former players who left without graduating, to return and complete their degrees. I don't think that was specifically directed at African-Americans but I know of specific players who did take advantage of the program.
Maybin did.

The entire letter will be out tomorrow so that will be the opportunity to read his arguments. Just a little caveat i know alot of former AA athletes at U of L problem is a majority of them never finished their degrees especially the Crum era guys . Some never seeked employment then their are a few that were hired their Derwin Webb comes to mind . I really now see Jerry is mad he never got a shot to be HC and Beard i dont understand him from what i've read on him from the pros he was not a likeable guy .
Apparently BB is upset because he was over looked as the interim HC when Pitino was fired. Apparently he had volunteered to do so. Never mind the fact, you know the big one, that the players requested Padgett. He’s neglecting the fact to meet his narrative. He also says he and Unseld are responsible for black athletes coming to and building our BB program. This smells of JE. Still mad he never got hired and we didn’t hire KP.

Including one Mr. Kenny Payne. Are there legitimate claims for African American alums? Yes, but there are successes as well. These remarks deserve our attention and desire for correction and improvement!

GO CARDS!!!

Including one Mr. Kenny Payne. Are there legitimate claims for African American alums? Yes, but there are successes as well. These remarks deserve our attention and desire for correction and improvement!

GO CARDS!!!
True, but you still must be qualified and the best candidate. UofL is a top tier job in BB. You don’t jump from an assistant to HC in a top tier program. You must be proven Kenny was not and is not. Jerry had a less than glorious HC record. Although Butch was a pro and did coach it has been years. I can’t think of any former Cards that are in the pipeline to HC. I’m not sure if their upset because the lack of minorities in positions at UofL or that they weren’t considered or given a position. The former I can understand the later I could give a hoot.

Hajj Turner was the only player that had his academics together to be considered as an asst coach . This is the one Rick screwed up by not hiring people even championed for him to be hired by Rick and for some unknown reason he never gave this outstanding young man a chance. But in later years took Dre smh.

Longtime George Washington assistant coach Hajj Turner has a new job. He's the head coach at Landon in Bethesda, Maryland and has many more responsibilities then just the head coach title. We recently sat down with the former Louisville forward to discuss his career and how he ended up at Landon.

Hajj Turner completed his sixth year on the men's basketball staff at the George Washington University in 2016-17.

Turner has helped the Colonials to 94 wins the past four seasons which is the most in a four-year stretch in school history. In 2015-16, GW won a school-record 28 games while capturing its first ever postseason title by winning the NIT.

The former Division I forward helps mentor the Colonials' post players and his tutelage was reflected in the growth of big men Isaiah Armwood and Kevin Larsen. Armwood earned Second Team All-Atlantic 10 and A-10 All-Defensive Team honors and Larsen was the Chris Daniels A-10 Most Improved Player during a 2013-14 season in which GW matched the second-most wins in program history and earned a trip to the NCAA Tournament. Larsen also earned Second Team All-Atlantic 10 honors in 2014-15.

A 2001 graduate and former team captain at Louisville, Turner spent the two seasons prior to going to Vermont at Maryland as the assistant director and men's basketball coordinator of the school's academic support and career development unit. Prior to that, Turner was an intern at the NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis working on the preparation of both the Men's and Women's Division I National Basketball Championships.

A native of Charlottesville, Va., Turner graduated as the top undergraduate student in Pan African Studies in 2001 and became only the second player in school history to pursue a master's degree while playing for Louisville (higher education and sports administration), graduating in the spring of 2002. He played for both Denny Crum and Rick Pitino during his five-year career, while earning All-Conference USA Academic Honor Roll honors in each of his five seasons. As a senior, he was voted co-captain by his teammates on Pitino's first Cardinal squad.

Last edited:
I agree with him that there should be a statue of Unseld. As for the rest of it - he spends more time providing specifics of his career than he does outlying what he thinks UofL has done wrong and more importantly, what they should do specifically moving forward.

This from a UK fan should tell you about Mr.UK Eaves
@JerryEaves5
·
Jan 12

Mr. Eaves I heard your comments on the KSR show this morning and I want to thank you for some of the most intelligent well thought out comments I have heard over the last few days. I hope you continue to help and mentor young people and even some of us older folks!
Intelligent and Jerry Eaves should never, ever be used in the same sentence. Useless POS!

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I have fond memories of Beard and Eaves but if they want their images removed let’s do it. I don’t look at either of them in the same light as I once did. Bashing Louisville thinking it is going to get you somewhere is really stupid . All they have done is pushed the University and fans away from them. I also agree I want the University to hire the most qualified candidate not someone who thinks they are entitled to the job because they played here.

Thought I never agree with this guy but even he knows it's a lose lose for both sides .Beard should have just cut his losses this does him.nor U of L any good.

Matt Jones
@KySportsRadio

·
4h

I hate this. Butch Beard is a good man and this stinks for both Butch and UL.

I recall Butch from his time at Breckinridge Co HS as a Junior when they lost to Wes and Seneca in Lexington, and Jerry from his time at Ballard. Both were fine representatives while at UL, but like most kids who experienced adulation when young, they become resentful as adults when they fail to reach those lofty expectations. Butch and Jerry now want to blame institutions for their mediocre lives; get in line!

Reactions: gocds
And I thought Beard was dead.

He hasn’t been around for years. Out of sight out of mind

Can’t miss what you haven’t had

Thought I never agree with this guy but even he knows it's a lose lose for both sides .Beard should have just cut his losses this does him.nor U of L any good.

Matt Jones
@KySportsRadio

·
4h

I hate this. Butch Beard is a good man and this stinks for both Butch and UL.
Hard not to see this - and the sale of ksr - as jones trying to rehab his image to challenge to be the next democratic candidate (instead of Charles Booker) for paul’s senate seat in 2022.

• Wow
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
BB was a very poor coach from a record standpoint. Won like 32% of his games in college. Was given a chance with the Knicks and went 60-104 and was fired. Ended his career being fired as an assistant in Washington. So why would he ever be considered as an interim coach at a D1 power school?

Maybe he was a good mentor. But maybe Crum, Pitino, and Mack were/are good mentors also. We have only had 3 coaches in 49 years, and i think the goal always is to hire who you think is the best available, regardless.

I respect what he accomplished as a player at Louisville. And he is well remembered by Louisville. His jersey hangs from the rafters and his name and picture appear often in the current media guide.

This seems more like attention grabbing from afar

BB was a very poor coach from a record standpoint. Won like 32% of his games in college. Was given a chance with the Knicks and went 60-104 and was fired. Ended his career being fired as an assistant in Washington. So why would he ever be considered as an interim coach at a D1 power school?

Maybe he was a good mentor. But maybe Crum, Pitino, and Mack were/are good mentors also. We have only had 3 coaches in 49 years, and i think the goal always is to hire who you think is the best available, regardless.

I respect what he accomplished as a player at Louisville. And he is well remembered by Louisville. His jersey hangs from the rafters and his name and picture appear often in the current media guide.

Excellent post and spot on.

GO CARDS!!!

This just seems to have come out of thin air. What is Butch trying to accomplish here? Just seems kind of odd.

(Note: This was a response to a quoted post. However, a moderator removed the other post, which apparently deleted it from my response. So that is the context missing from my comments).

No, and not all black people are head coach material. That's kind of the point. It's based on merit; not the artificial concept of skin color. Role models come in all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds.

BTW, McGee WAS hired and being mentored by Pitino for a possible head coaching position (as have many others of various colors in his extensive coaching tree). It's a bad result, obviously, but a clear contradiction to any complaints about UofL using race to hold back potential candidates. The opposite is true. UofL is and has been very progressive about race matters. Heck, we were almost stuck with Cooper for an extra year b/c the Rev. Louis Coleman waged a campaign of "racism" about his termination (that eventually included an unwarranted $1M buyout to Cooper just to shut up Coleman).

It would be nice if people would stop using race (and only one race, not others) as the sole factor to perpetuate divisiveness through personally biased glasses. It's unnecessary and destructive. If someone created a post or got media attention about yellow cars, many would notice more yellow cars. The narrative perpetuates the narrative.

Last edited:
No, and not all black people are head coach material. That's kind of the point. It's based on merit; not the artificial concept of skin color. Role models come in all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds.

BTW, McGee WAS hired and being mentored by Pitino for a possible head coaching position (as have many others of various colors in his extensive coaching tree). It's a bad result, obviously, but a clear contradiction to any complaints about UofL using race to hold back potential candidates. The opposite is true. UofL is and has been very progressive about race matters. Heck, we were almost stuck with Cooper for an extra year b/c the Rev. Louis Coleman waged a campaign of "racism" about his termination (that eventually included an unwarranted $1M buyout to Cooper just to shut up Coleman).

It would be nice if people would stop using race (and only one race, not others) as the sole factor to perpetuate divisiveness through personally biased glasses. It's unnecessary and destructive. If someone created a post or got media attention about yellow cars, many would notice more yellow cars. The narrative perpetuates the narrative.

What Beard is arguing is dumb. He his hiding personal grudge behind a real issue. I would like to see avenues opened though for minorities in coaching as it kind of seems like a who do you know profession to break into. Minorities were completely kept out in the past and that has consequences now.

If you was at a bar right no i buy you a double shot.

I would like to see avenues opened though for minorities in coaching as it kind of seems like a who do you know profession to break into. Minorities were completely kept out in the past and that has consequences now.

I totally agree. I listened to BB today on Eaves radio program. He did make some good points about the lack of tributes to Unseld and others on campus regarding dorm names, statutes, etc. Those things can and should be done. However, Jerry Eaves is surviving on the coat tales of Kentucky Sports Radio and Butch seems to have been greatly influenced by him.
UL’s basketball hires over the past years, since Peck Hickman, have been way more successful than the majority of most NCAA Div I Programs. I thinks Eaves and Butch would have been strongly considered if either of them deserved to be considered. But neither of them seemed accomplished enough to serve as head coach of an ACC level program. It is sad to think that Eaves, in his zest to promote his radio program to KSR fans has been able to have such a strong influence on one of Louisville’s true immortals.

I totally agree. I listened to BB today on Eaves radio program. He did make some good points about the lack of tributes to Unseld and others on campus regarding dorm names, statutes, etc. Those things can and should be done. However, Jerry Eaves is surviving on the coat tales of Kentucky Sports Radio and Butch seems to have been greatly influenced by him.
UL’s basketball hires over the past years, since Peck Hickman, have been way more successful than the majority of most NCAA Div I Programs. I thinks Eaves and Butch would have been strongly considered if either of them deserved to be considered. But neither of them seemed accomplished enough to serve as head coach of an ACC level program. It is sad to think that Eaves, in his zest to promote his radio program to KSR fans has been able to have such a strong influence on one of Louisville’s true immortals.
I listened also . Did you hear the part when Eaves stated quote " Matt Jones is a great man !"
Only people that call in are uk fans.

It hurts because Butch was one of the pioneers that made UofL the national power it is today. I hope we get it worked out with him.

It hurts because Butch was one of the pioneers that made UofL the national power it is today. I hope we get it worked out with him.
Same here. I have never understood why Wes never got a statue while Unitas did. There was certainly time to rectify this situation while Wes was still alive.

Same here. I have never understood why Wes never got a statue while Unitas did. There was certainly time to rectify this situation while Wes was still alive.
Keep in mind that UofL has never owned the basketball facilities at which it played. Both the KFEC (Freedom Hall) and the YUM Center are multi-use facilities owned by the government where there are likely difficulties erecting permanent statues. The football stadium is a different matter b/c it is essentially a single use facility that is part of the UofL property, so much easier do something of this nature. (Keeping in mind that I don't think there was the hint of any football recognition when UofL played its games at the KFEC).

Nor does every player that is great deserve a statue. They HAVE been duly recognized with their names and numbers honored. It's not like they've been snubbed. And dorms are not usually named after sports figures. Make a big enough donation and you can probably get one named after you. After you get by the general faculty objection to anything on the academic campus being used to honor athletes.

Reactions: BPGhost
Keep in mind that UofL has never owned the basketball facilities at which it played. Both the KFEC (Freedom Hall) and the YUM Center are multi-use facilities owned by the government where there are likely difficulties erecting permanent statues. The football stadium is a different matter b/c it is essentially a single use facility that is part of the UofL property, so much easier do something of this nature. (Keeping in mind that I don't think there was the hint of any football recognition when UofL played its games at the KFEC).

Nor does every player that is great deserve a statue. They HAVE been duly recognized with their names and numbers honored. It's not like they've been snubbed. And dorms are not usually named after sports figures. Make a big enough donation and you can probably get one named after you. After you get by the general faculty objection to anything on the academic campus being used to honor athletes.
I never thought about the ownership of the BB venues being a factor. I guess that's what happens when you approach the issue with your heart rather than your head. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

I've often wondered about the recognition of Wes, and to a lesser degree Butch, by the fans and university alike. I admit to having a soft spot for them since my youth. Along with Clem Haskins at WKU, they were truly pioneers. Who knows what Louisville BB would be like had they not blazed the trail? I suspect their careers with the NBA led to some amount of distance between them and the university over time. IDK.

Butch was a Cardinal great but I feel he has gone overboard on this issue.

Reactions: kypecos
I think you could give Eaves everything he wanted and more and he’d still find something to b!tch about. Hopefully, they can straighten things out with BB. Beard was one of my Dads favorite players and Dad wasn’t a UofL fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT