ADVERTISEMENT

Drake forces UK into another violation

Secondary and level 3 violations are a way of life in Lexington since Calipari turned the program into an elite AAU circuit program. What will the NCAA do?

Nothing. Nothing at all. Why? Because UofK immediately reported the violation, and there won't be any punishment handed down for this or any of the other secondary or level 3 infractions committed since Calipari left Memphis.

In other words, considering the grand scheme of things, this is a non issue. Period. As long as you report them, then it's OK to commit the secondary and level 3 violations over and over and over again. That's how screwed up the NCAA is. It's pure and stupid.

Last edited:
According to this article, the violation in question was Ulis taking a picture with Drake when they were both at a concert in Chicago. According to NCAA, it was "preferential treatment." Not sure that applies, but the NCAA is not exactly consistent on rules anyway.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...ky-basketball-ncaa-secondary-violation-072216
It's funny how you guys downplay everything that's negative towards you, but cast stones toward us all of the time. I guess if you self report it, the NCAA will not punish you for doing it over and over. Drake is a POS that now has the tobacco chewing culture at Rupp listening to his gawd awful music.

Reactions: Deeva
It's funny how you guys downplay everything that's negative towards you, but cast stones toward us all of the time. I guess if you self report it, the NCAA will not punish you for doing it over and over. Drake is a POS that now has the tobacco chewing culture at Rupp listening to his gawd awful music.

In your opinion, what should the punishment be for this violation? Game suspensions, scholarship reduction?

The same violation, which has occurred on multiple occasions while Cal has been at uk, should result in more than the NCAA turning it's backand saying thanks for the heads up...juss sayin.

Not sure of what level of punishment but the degree should increase when continually breaking the same rule.

In your opinion, what should the punishment be for this violation? Game suspensions, scholarship reduction?
The incident was minimal, but if it happens over and over (like it has) the punishment should be enough to put a stop to it....whatever that takes

Reactions: Deeva

Not downplaying anything, nor casting stones. Not a fan of Drake either. I just think taking a picture is a stupid "violation", that is all.

Not downplaying anything, nor casting stones. Not a fan of Drake either. I just think taking a picture is a stupid "violation", that is all.
I don't think the violation is because of the picture. It's the fact that a student athlete received a benefit (back stage access) and because he's a basketball player that other people are not privileged to or have to pay a considerable amount of money

Reactions: Cue Card
I don't think the violation is because of the picture. It's the fact that a student athlete received a benefit (back stage access) and because he's a basketball player that other people are not privileged to or have to pay a considerable amount of money

Ah, I can see that. Seems flaky as plenty of people get pulled back stage, not a unique situation. But quite frankly, I think the NCAA uses "impermissible benefits" as a very broad brush. That's not a UK thing, either, I just think the NCAA is a joke on enforcement.

Reactions: Wordless65
Yeah old in that the violation was cited on July 22, 2016 for something that happened last summer... That's one of the problems with the NCAA. It takes them too long to act or respond.

Well...it does when you do not self-report a violation. Which seems ridiculous. If you self-report, the NCAA seems to act faster. I understand that it's about helping those who admit a violation but it seems like they also are very random with the level of punishment for those who do not report violations.

Ah, I can see that. Seems flaky as plenty of people get pulled back stage, not a unique situation. But quite frankly, I think the NCAA uses "impermissible benefits" as a very broad brush. That's not a UK thing, either, I just think the NCAA is a joke on enforcement.
Really? How do I become one of those "plenty of people" to get pulled back stage? I've been to a bunch of concerts, and that never happened to me.

Yawn. I wouldn't give a damn if a U of L player had his picture taken with J-Law and I don't give a damn if a UK player has his picture taken with Drake. What advantage is that providing for anyone? If it's a recruit, then I'd say it might be a different story, but with a guy who is already enrolled? Again - yawn.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Yawn. I wouldn't give a damn if a U of L player had his picture taken with J-Law and I don't give a damn if a UK player has his picture taken with Drake. What advantage is that providing for anyone? If it's a recruit, then I'd say it might be a different story, but with a guy who is already enrolled? Again - yawn.
Again, not about taking pictures, it's about getting backstage access that other (normal) people pay quite a few bucks for..

Also these schools have compliance people. The coaches and players know what is permissible or not. They just take the risk because they know they will get a slap on the wrist or not even that.

Again, not about taking pictures, it's about getting backstage access that other (normal) people pay quite a few bucks for..

Also these schools have compliance people. The coaches and players know what is permissible or not. They just take the risk because they know they will get a slap on the wrist or not even that.

Yeah - I mean, Drake isn't affiliated with the university, despite his occasional shirt wearing habits. Nobody from the University is paying Drake to do any of the stuff he does. I think there are certain things that should really be punishable - fixing grades, paying recruits, fake classes, etc. Hanging out with a rapper (and I use that term VERY loosely re : Drake) just doesn't scream "cheating" to me. And frankly, neither do some guys getting fixed up with some strippers.

Actually its the reverse. If players can get in trouble watching strippers then players who get favors from Drake or other celebrities should be held accountable as well, because in a sense Drake is prostituting himself..

Reactions: Cue Card
Actually its the reverse. If players can get in trouble watching strippers then players who get favors from Drake or other celebrities should be held accountable as well, because in a sense Drake is prostituting himself..

I'm saying neither is a big deal.

I don't think it is a bias as much as it is total inconsistency on the NCAA's part. It's not a conspiracy, it's worse... it's ineptness!
It's a combination of 3 things. Bias - Ineptness, - and corruption.

Too much money involved now for corruption not to be embedded in the bureaucracy.

Reactions: JohnKBA
It's a combination of 3 things. Bias - Ineptness, - and corruption.

Too much money involved now for corruption not to be embedded in the bureaucracy.

I think that's right on Cue. And it's one of those "you can't put the genie back in the bottle" things IMO. Regardless of the leadership, it's pretty clear that $$ is making all the decisions now. NCAA sports (football and MBB, anyway) are now run like any business on wall street.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT