ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think Bobby can turn it around?

Sep 7, 2004
I don’t think so. Outside of the Lamar Jackson years UL’s offense has been lackluster.

I know Bobby is married to his spread offense, but it’s not working. He needs to hire better assistants, but a lot of coaches don’t want to work for/with Bobby. What does he do?

This isn’t something that can be turned around in a weeks worth of practice.

The first thing that needs to happen is he needs to lose the kinder gentler Bobby and find that old Bobby who was always job hopping and angry Bobby.

No. Petrino used to be able to recruit and develop talent to compete with anyone. He sucks so bad now after losing his fire and motivation, if he was handed Alabama's team he would not even win the SEC West.

Reactions: wilkie01
We'd all better hope so. Here's the thing: if he has any trace of the old Bobby left in him then he's bound to feel humiliated by this. Scrape yourself off the floor and fight back to save your legacy.

No. Lamar Jackson is not walking through that door.

“The ceiling is the roof.” Michael Jordan, Circa 2017. Seems fitting.

I don’t believe he can salvage this season. I think Bobby is a victim of his own personality- his abrasiveness has resulted in a revolving door of defensive coaches and his arrogance made him think he could take them to the top despite having a staff that isn’t top quality.

When I started to get real concerned is when Cort Dennison left. That was a direct result of the coaching dysfunction.

Bobby has to dig deep. Gut check time. Every man faces it in his career at some point.

Only if he scraps this crap read/option offense. He's shown the potential in his past. If he continues on with this spread option crap where our entire offense lives and dies by the athletic ability of our QB then he has gone insane...we all know what the definition of insanity is.

We'd all better hope so. Here's the thing: if he has any trace of the old Bobby left in him then he's bound to feel humiliated by this. Scrape yourself off the floor and fight back to save your legacy.
Have you seen any of his post game interviews? He sounds like he’s been neutered and someone kicked or stole his dog. Keeps repeating same thing.. just got to get better and that’s on me...

He does not seem like cocky sob he once was. In fact, he doesn't even seem confident any more. I think the death of his father really affected him.

Reactions: Mayoman
Only if he scraps this crap read/option offense. He's shown the potential in his past. If he continues on with this spread option crap where our entire offense lives and dies by the athletic ability of our QB then he has gone insane...we all know what the definition of insanity is.
Just returning to his traditional offenses would be a step in the right direction. Doubt that would bring back the old Bobby in terms of work and attitude but at this point what does he have to lose? He is not going to have the type of success with the read option that he had previously so why stick with it? The problem is he has no quarterbacks now that could run his old offenses properly.

Have you seen any of his post game interviews? He sounds like he’s been neutered and someone kicked or stole his dog. Keeps repeating same thing.. just got to get better and that’s on me...
This...he almost cries at some points. It's like hes about to start bawling. He did just lose his dad. You just never know what's going on in someone's head sometimes

Bobby has to dig deep. Gut check time. Every man faces it in his career at some point.
That happened after Arkansas. Maybe he’s only got one of those in him. Hope not. This group can do it, if properly led and motivated.

I’m not thinking that was a career gut check time. That was more of a midlife crisis gut check time.

Reactions: STLNBSE
If he’s willing to change a good portion of his staff he could, but I don’t know if any quality coach would want to coach under him.

If he’s willing to change a good portion of his staff he could, but I don’t know if any quality coach would want to coach under him.

This seems speculative and specious. There are s lot of hungry young coaches eager for a shot and Bobby would have a lot of knowledge for them.

Just returning to his traditional offenses would be a step in the right direction. Doubt that would bring back the old Bobby in terms of work and attitude but at this point what does he have to lose? He is not going to have the type of success with the read option that he had previously so why stick with it? The problem is he has no quarterbacks now that could run his old offenses properly.

The QB’s he recruited to run the read option may not be able to run his old offense, but it’s worth a shot.

I don’t think so. Outside of the Lamar Jackson years UL’s offense has been lackluster.

I know Bobby is married to his spread offense, but it’s not working. He needs to hire better assistants, but a lot of coaches don’t want to work for/with Bobby. What does he do?

This isn’t something that can be turned around in a weeks worth of practice.

The first thing that needs to happen is he needs to lose the kinder gentler Bobby and find that old Bobby who was always job hopping and angry Bobby.

He's going to turn it around just like he turned that hot volleyball player chick around.

Reactions: BPGhost
Maybe he could pick up a graduate transfer to make it work. The problem is I doubt he will take our advice.

I actually thought the same thing about a grad transfer, but (and i think we're on the same page here) it will only work if he scraps this offense.

If Bobby continues down this road we will continue the downward trajectory.

Current Sagarin numbers suggest a 3-5 finish for a 5-7 season. Finishing the year at 6-6 would be "turning it around". :(

Peace

Do I think Bobby can turn it around? No.

Also, if you're looking for Petrino to get replaced.....I think you have to silently root for UK the rest of the year as well. I don't care what anyone says, if UK comes into the last game, into Louisville...ranked and sitting at say 9-2 and proceeds to beat the doors off Louisville? Thats not going to sit well with Vince. He's not going to like the one area where Louisville is ahead of Kentucky being dominated by the in-state rival.

In all seriousness, I expected to fall back this year, but didn't expect to have the #120 ranked offense. Still, I see this young team improving over the season and finishing at 6-6, setting up for next year.

In all seriousness, I expected to fall back this year, but didn't expect to have the #120 ranked offense. Still, I see this young team improving over the season and finishing at 6-6, setting up for next year.

I'm just curious....what have you seen in these first 4 games that would make you think this team can finish the season 4-4? Not being a smartass, I'm seriously asking. I think this team has actually gotten worse as the season has progressed and I've seen nothing from Petrino 2.0 that leads me to believe this team is going to pull out of this. I've not seen a single thing that would make me believe the team will even win another game.

No, Bobby is to hard headed to change. Think about the fact, that he blamed Mcgee the offensive coordinator for his weak offense ln years one and two. But the same plays are being called by Bobby today, so the problem has always been Bobby 2.0. Bottom line time has passed him bye! He has to go now before he completely destroys our program! Our worst coached positions are quarterbacks (Petrino's son), defensive line (Petrino's son-in-law), and game and clock management (Bobby Petrino). This abortion he calls a football team makes me want to puke. When you become worst than UK in football, well you know damn well your program is hitting rock bottom

I'm just curious....what have you seen in these first 4 games that would make you think this team can finish the season 4-4? Not being a smartass, I'm seriously asking. I think this team has actually gotten worse as the season has progressed and I've seen nothing from Petrino 2.0 that leads me to believe this team is going to pull out of this. I've not seen a single thing that would make me believe the team will even win another game.

I'm using more than this year's 4 games/datapoints. This year looks bad, I agree, unexpectedly bad. The talent on paper (which matters, look at the Top 25 recruiting/Top 25 team rankings each year) is the best it's ever been. I'm willing to consider that youth/inexperience and let it mature over the next 3 seasons (this one included).

Not sure what the problem is above and beyond the youth and massive turnover from last season on both sides of the ball statistically. Like I said, I expected a downturn and was thinking 6-6 prior to the season start....but was not expecting the #120 offense with a 4 star redshirt sophomore standing behind an experienced OL.

This teams needs to find its identity. That's rhetoric but it's meaningful. Are we read-option or are we traditional? Hard to go back and forth between those within a season and within a game. We had this problem to a lesser extent in Lamar's freshman season. Fans were screaming for Bolin and saying that Lamar isn't a college QB.

Also, I really like Uncle Rico's defense. Aggressive. Fun to watch. On the field too much though.

So to answer your first question directly, that would be a hopeful opinion.

Last edited:
Some may find this a "soft" thing, but Bobby did lose his father in the days leading up to Alabama. I know he's paid millions but IRL stuff happens. I'm willing to offer a mulligan for the season based on that alone.

Reactions: Mayoman
I’m not thinking that was a career gut check time. That was more of a midlife crisis gut check time.
Nope the career gut check was when he walked away from the Atlanta Falcons. He wanted or thought he was going to be some great NFL coach. After that debacle it was to prove he was still a great offensive genius which his ego took a severe hit after his motorcycle fiasco. He’s running out of chances or simply the game is starting to pass him by similar in some respects to DC. It happens to most if not all, you just have to be smart to recognize when that time is now.

Some may find this a "soft" thing, but Bobby did lose his father in the days leading up to Alabama. I know he's paid millions but IRL stuff happens. I'm willing to offer a mulligan for the season based on that alone.
Ok I understand that. I lost my mom in April. She was 91. I know how that might affect Bobby but please explain how it affects 85 college football players in their performance?

Reactions: wilkie01
Ok I understand that. I lost my mom in April. She was 91. I know how that might affect Bobby but please explain how it affects 85 college football players in their performance?

Or the assistant coaches?

First of all, sorry to hear bout your mother. I am lucky to have both of mine and I don't take that for granted. I have no idea what losing one/both feels like and don't want to know. I know the day is coming, but don't like thinking about that.

As for your question, he's the coach. If his focus is off, the way he prepares, runs practices, etc, it would affect everything. Listening to him talk this season, he just sounds blah. Like he's on a heavy dose of Prozac, in some sort of fog. I expected the UVA postgame conference to be testy and short, but he just sounded sad.

Deener theorized this AM, maybe Jaylen Smith lost his ability to catch when his appendix was removed. Someone should do a study on that. :D

First of all, sorry to hear bout your mother. I am lucky to have both of mine and I don't take that for granted. I have no idea what losing one/both feels like and don't want to know. I know the day is coming, but don't like thinking about that.

As for your question, he's the coach. If his focus is off, the way he prepares, runs practices, etc, it would affect everything. Listening to him talk this season, he just sounds blah. Like he's on a heavy dose of Prozac, in some sort of fog. I expected the UVA postgame conference to be testy and short, but he just sounded sad.

Deener theorized this AM, maybe Jaylen Smith lost his ability to catch when his appendix was removed. Someone should do a study on that. :D
I spent the last 4 years spending almost every weekend with her in some facet. It’s why I moved back to KY from NC. There is definitely a void and emptiness in my life and you can feel down about it or choose to move on and remember everything positive about her life and if you believe, hopefully you will see that person again. I struggled with depression when I lost my 1st wife nearly 20 years ago and it almost took me down. Raising my son got me through it. Bobby needs to use football the same way, I would imagine. Instill the love of football that his dad gave to him to Nick is where to start. Otherwise it will leave you in the dust. Sorry for the life story. It’s hard but you can’t use it as a crutch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT