ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Wagner Recruitment

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
A lot of recruiting prognosticators saying that DJ Wagner gonna go to UK. If that happens it’s a monumental loss for Kenny Payne and would certainly make Milt Wagner a shaky hire at best. Ugh.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
If it happens it is really interesting. I will never understand why Elite American American players don’t flock the American American coaches. I just don’t get it. It is almost like they don’t want them to succeed it really is odd dynamic.

Dont buy into this DJ narrative and UK alot of UK propaganda that our fanbase is falling for. They are going all out dirty to try snd stop it just saying. Just sit back and trust KP we gonna be alright!

i think UK's issue might be the other guard they signed, and the rest of the incoming class they'll have. all depends on what he wants from college, experience or the chance to win. at UK most likely will see a lot less time as his minutes will compete with other 5* players as always happens with cal. here he'd be on the court more with more control of the game and more room to show his overall skills. if he believes in himself then showing those skills shouldn't hurt his draft position. at uk, he's still be seen more on potential as they get less room to shine individually with less time but maybe get drafted higher on that unknown potential. so comes down to whether he wants to be one of the pack or a leader.

DJ will either be a Card or he won't. Yeah it would be a blow against CKP/UofL but I don't get too invested in a player until they are wearing a UofL jersey and are playing on the court.

Who knows what has or will happen in the meantime? Probably a bunch of things we'll never even hear about that will sway his decision either way.

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
I just shake my head at our fanbase that thinks it will be the end of the world or some blow to KP if DJ doesn't come here. People need to understand a few things first and foremost Milt is just the Grandfather not the father whom has more say so along with the mom period. Milts hiring would have happened regardless he is just the liaison to former players and KP's very close friend.

The big elephant is this Cal has been recruiting this kid since 8th grade and KP is just getting in the door from a recruiting standpoint with him . His relationship with the family is the reason he even has a chance and look at the ground he made up with it. Without KP here DJ would already be signed with UK people ! Do yall understand this so just be happy we have a legit shot. Because he was never looking our way period. So what ever happens we will still be okay!

I think what would really ease some fan's fears is if CKP signs some more guards. The lack of guards, particularly PG, has some fans in a bit of panic.

And it makes DJs decision seem all the more important because the back court seems so thin right now.

I think what would really ease some fan's fears is if CKP signs some more guards. The lack of guards, particularly PG, has some fans in a bit of panic.

And it makes DJs decision seem all the more important because the back court seems so thin right now.

. Look at 23 recruiting we are in on and being mentioned very highly with some high level guards. As some of the natl recruiting guys are saying just monitor the IARP ruling once that is known. You will start to see how our recruiting changes in a big way. Best case scenario no post season ban (unlikely) 2nd best 1 post season and it for this upcoming season would suck but it solidify s what he can sell to the 23 guys. None of us including media have a freaking clue what Dj is looking for and wanting in a program . Only him and his family and those recruiting him . So all this he a lock for either program by these media people . I just take with a grain of salt . Branham changes his mind by what is fed to him on both sides of the coin.

Their is another guard that is expected to be on the roster this season. They are vetting his paperwork for enrollment.

This season is going to be a very interesting one for the fanbase becasue of the IARP. If we get a ban what reasonable expectations can you really have for the team? And if they don't get a ban what will be your expectations some will be riduculos high i'm sure.

If UofL gets a post season ban for this upcoming season, it will put a damper on things for sure. My expectations will obviously not be for the post season, but in seeing how CKP preps his team for games, his defense, offense, playbook/schemes, making adjustments, and overall how he runs the team as the head coach.

I think it really depends on if Louisville is eligible for the NCAA tournament in 2023/24. DJ Wagner doesn't want to spend his one season in college for a team banned from the dance.

This is what UK is probably talking about with DJ, telling him that UofL will not be able to play for a final 4 and at UK, he would not only play but win the championship.

So the longer it takes for a decision to come down on the Cardinals fate, the less likely Wagner will sign with Louisville. The kid is no doubt hearing it from both sides and wishes he could go straight to the NBA.

I just shake my head at our fanbase that thinks it will be the end of the world or some blow to KP if DJ doesn't come here. People need to understand a few things first and foremost Milt is just the Grandfather not the father whom has more say so along with the mom period. Milts hiring would have happened regardless he is just the liaison to former players and KP's very close friend.

The big elephant is this Cal has been recruiting this kid since 8th grade and KP is just getting in the door from a recruiting standpoint with him . His relationship with the family is the reason he even has a chance and look at the ground he made up with it. Without KP here DJ would already be signed with UK people ! Do yall understand this so just be happy we have a legit shot. Because he was never looking our way period. So what ever happens we will still be okay!
No one thinks it’s the end of the world if DJ Wagner doesn’t come here but to think it would not be a significant blow is being completely disingenuous. He considers KP an “uncle”. We hired his grandfather. He is as high profile as you get - kind of like a Pierce Clarkson - someone kids want to be associated with.

if it were me i would play for U of L.
1. i would want to play for my grandfather. once in a lifetime opportunity and family will be happy. 2. UK already has a point guard and i want to play point guard. 3. i wouldn't care about NCAA tourney. it's only a handful of games at most. 4. i would call my friends and make a super team. 5.KP is a good guy and i would want to help him out.

No one thinks it’s the end of the world if DJ Wagner doesn’t come here but to think it would not be a significant blow is being completely disingenuous. He considers KP an “uncle”. We hired his grandfather. He is as high profile as you get - kind of like a Pierce Clarkson - someone kids want to be associated with.
LOL guess you dont read social media this fanbase is losing their mind and DJ not coming is not going to stop anyhting. I guess Josh will have to shut down the BB program.

I think it really depends on if Louisville is eligible for the NCAA tournament in 2023/24. DJ Wagner doesn't want to spend his one season in college for a team banned from the dance.

This is what UK is probably talking about with DJ, telling him that UofL will not be able to play for a final 4 and at UK, he would not only play but win the championship.

So the longer it takes for a decision to come down on the Cardinals fate, the less likely Wagner will sign with Louisville. The kid is no doubt hearing it from both sides and wishes he could go straight to the NBA.
I always really felt that if he had another school he was very comfortable with besides red and blue he would go elsewhere just to take the pressure off .Seen stranger things would not be surprised if he does just that.

If there was another school I think he would have committed there already.

To me it's obvious DJ wants to play for his grandfather and KP, but is waiting to see if the Cards are going to receive a post season ban.

If he really wanted to go to UK, he would have committed already. There's nothing to wait for to wear the blue if that's what he wants.

Plus the fact Louisville is in need of guards makes it a no brainer.

I think it is a recruiting battle that needs to be won. If you’re saying that Milt not being able to land his own grandson is not significant you’re wrong. Everybody who supported the hiring of KP used the recruiting argument as the reason to hire him. Well here we are in a recruiting battle with our in state rival so it matters.

The sUcK side says Calipari and Dejuan are very close so he is a lean towards sUcK. I find it hard to believe that Dejuan is closer to Calipari than he is to his own Dad. He only played for Calipari for one year he has spent a lifetime with his Dad. So more than likely this is coming down to NIL money.
My question to Dejuan would be that sUcK had already had a commitment from another top point guard are you willing to share minutes? My other question would be that Calipari has stunk like rotten eggs the past 2 seasons. 2 years ago they had a losing season and didn’t make it to the tournament. Last year they made it to the tournament and bowed out early. Their fan base was up and arms and their AD said there was discussions going on about the quality of the program.

Reactions: gocds and 2330859
I think it is a recruiting battle that needs to be won. If you’re saying that Milt not being able to land his own grandson is not significant you’re wrong. Everybody who supported the hiring of KP used the recruiting argument as the reason to hire him. Well here we are in a recruiting battle with our in state rival so it matters.

The sUcK side says Calipari and Dejuan are very close so he is a lean towards sUcK. I find it hard to believe that Dejuan is closer to Calipari than he is to his own Dad. He only played for Calipari for one year he has spent a lifetime with his Dad. So more than likely this is coming down to NIL money.
My question to Dejuan would be that sUcK had already had a commitment from another top point guard are you willing to share minutes? My other question would be that Calipari has stunk like rotten eggs the past 2 seasons. 2 years ago they had a losing season and didn’t make it to the tournament. Last year they made it to the tournament and bowed out early. Their fan base was up and arms and their AD said there was discussions going on about the quality of the prog
Strong possibility DJ turns KP down . So i guess the program will be shut down and KP will need to be let go. KP is playing the long game with this program rebranding building something to be proud of again And not getting 1 certain recruit whom more than likely is only going to be at any place 1 season isn't going to make or break that. NIL money is the last thing that kid is worried about going to be their regardless .

I'm a staunch KP guy and in no way am i holding his feet to the fire about DJ . Because i have confidence he will get talent . And i'm not stupid to know these top guys buy into what Cal sells .DJ is not excluded from that thinking either.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone is holding KP’s feet to the fire but if you can’t win the recruiting battles you better be a really good coach. Dejuan is a big recruit not only because of his talent but because of his connections to the school. I find it hard to believe that Dejuan Sr is closer to Calipari than he is his own Dad. Like I posted earlier he was only at Memphis one year he has known his Dad his whole life. Calipari is a lousy coach and it shows more and more. I do think NIL money is important to every athlete no matter if he is only there 1 year or 4 years.

The only reason why people are now saying he is leaning towards uk now is that Cal went overseas to watch him play and Nolan Smith went instead of Payne. No one knows one way or the other which way he’s leaning. His people have kept a tight lip for a reason.

The only reason why people are now saying he is leaning towards uk now is that Cal went overseas to watch him play and Nolan Smith went instead of Payne. No one knows one way or the other which way he’s leaning. His people have kept a tight lip for a reason.
LOL but what the media is failing to inform the fanbase is that Calipari had a prearranged speaking engagement in Spain and that KP was back here conducting future recruiting visits. Guess nobody seen that recruit during that time speak about how he and KP were developing a relationship . People need to start digging into things more themselves than relying on narrative driven people with some having a built in bias against KP already.

The average attention span is around 8 seconds. If the introductory paragraph fails to resonate with the reader, he or she will not continue reading regardless .

“LOL“! How is stating a fact sm@rt@ss humorous? It’s a fact that Cal is in Spain, and it’s a fact that N.Smith is there as well.
I wasn’t bashing Payne at all, and Im sure he had his reasons. I’m not relying on any narrative just facts. You coming off as being overly sensitive and defensive about KP.

“LOL“! How is stating a fact sm@rt@ss humorous? It’s a fact that Cal is in Spain, and it’s a fact that N.Smith is there as well.
I wasn’t bashing Payne at all, and Im sure he had his reasons. I’m not relying on any narrative just facts. You coming off as being overly sensitive and defensive about KP.

everybody jumping off the bridge for no reason

Calipari performance is raising legitimate questions within the UK fanbase as to his ability to win at the NC level anymore. The SEC is no longer intimidated by the Cats, evidenced by the success at Auburn, Tennessee and other conference schools. It is obvious to most everyone that Cal has failed to demonstrate his ability to develop players beyond from where they arrived on campus.

I expect DJ will pick UL, unless we receive an NCAA ban. In that event, DJ will move away from both UL and Uk,

Reactions: gocds
Calipari performance is raising legitimate questions within the UK fanbase as to his ability to win at the NC level anymore. The SEC is no longer intimidated by the Cats, evidenced by the success at Auburn, Tennessee and other conference schools. It is obvious to most everyone that Cal has failed to demonstrate his ability to develop players beyond from where they arrived on campus.

I expect DJ will pick UL, unless we receive an NCAA ban. In that event, DJ will move away from both UL and Uk,
Cal's bread and butter is getting talent to sacrifice and play together - not developing guys over time and teaching them intricate, choregraphed plays or developing opponent specific schemes. His bread and butter isn't what he has on the court this coming season - there's probably only 3 players on that roster that will be NBA draft picks - Collins, Wallace and Livingston. His bread and butter is exactly what he's trying to recreate with this '23 class. He's going balls to the wall to bring in 4 or 5 of the top 15 kids and try and go back to the old ways when he, KP and Orlando were so dominate.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
The amount of paranoia from our fans about how it’s fake reports and Calipari pulling the strings is just laughable.

I can tell not many saying those things have ever followed a big recruitment. You think these reporters haven’t been through this rodeo before and don’t know a few things, or they’re just morons driving clicks because Cal made up a lie to upset Louisville fans.

It’s hilarious how when it’s our media and fans saying DJ Wagner to Louisville that it’s not smoke or hype from our staff, yet when it’s DJ going somewhere else it’s all a conspiracy and a smoke screen by the media and Kensucky.

HMM one of the things Branham is claiming DJ has stated what he is looking for in a program and is swaying him towards UK . The ability too play with other elite talented players and win a Ncaa chsmpionship. Not that i don't buy this from DJ however this IARP crap is still causing issues for U of L. I wish they just go ahead and make a ruling.

Last edited:
If he wants to win a National Title then sUcK is one of the last places to go. If you are a human being that can still breath then you should know the past 2 years sUcK has bombed under Cal. Obviously there is truth that Cal is lost without good assistant coaches who can coach for him. All Cal is capable of doing is stand court side and stomp his feet, flap his arms and scream at the refs like he is coaching.

The challenge with the Payne hire is he has never coached on college level. The reality is he has no history players and their families can look at. That is a lot to ask for any kid making a really big decision. Then add the cloudy NCAA situation for 23’ man it gets tough.

We are going to have to be patient and that is not happening in todays world.

I think Wagner goes to KY because of the unknowns at Louisville. It would be a big gamble. We won’t know anything with the NCAA until October or November he isn’t waiting that long.

Reactions: achilles992000
Going to sUcK would be a gamble in regards to Calipari’s coaching ability and the competition at the guard position. Once again the main attraction to hiring KP was his recruiting ability to get top players. He is going to be put to the test early and no excuses excepted.

Going to sUcK would be a gamble in regards to Calipari’s coaching ability and the competition at the guard position. Once again the main attraction to hiring KP was his recruiting ability to get top players. He is going to be put to the test early and no excuses excepted.
Great players don’t need great college game coaching ability. If that was the case Scotty Davenport would be sending everyone to the NBA.

Basketball is a sport where generally it’s 5 on 5. It’s about Jimmy’s and Joe’s and not X’s and O’s.

These kids want to be a rockstar. They want to be in TV and in the spotlight. Sometimes just being in the bright lights can give you a much bigger platform. Calipari is a master marketer and that’s a lot of what pro ball is all about, buying into a vision.

David Blatt is one of the best basketball minds in the world. When he was with Cleveland, he was doing amazing work with the role players and they were fine. But? LeBron and Kyrie didn’t like him. They hired a guy they like in Ty Lue and it just clicked. They were happier and it sold well.

Chris Mack is probably a way better coach than KP when it comes to in game basketball strategy. But on the big stage he just didn’t get it and he couldn’t thrive here. Kenny Payne may not know great in-bounds plays or the perfect conditioning routine, but guys like him and will play hard for him. They’ll play together for him. They’ll trust him.

only KP can get Donovan Mitchell and Bam Adebayo step into practice! U of L players learning from the best.
never going to happen under Mack.

Right now he doesn’t have another Anthony Davis on the team and I don’t see Calipari coaching his team up. They are a very good talented team without good coaching.

it all comes down to money for DJ Wagner. everyone has a price. and easy to orchestrate a fake NIL deal. some university will offer him some money and that will be the reason he signs with a school.

Oscar guy from UK is getting $2 million. Bacott from UNC said he got 6 figure offers. you get paid to go to college. can't beat that.

this IARP crap is still causing issues for U of L. I wish they just go ahead and make a ruling.

We are so used to having the ruling hanging over the program we have gotten used to it and think it's normal - it's not. I can't imagine how hard it is to recruit for Louisville since 2017 yet we expect to recruit at an elite level. Sort of like thinking $4.09 gas is "cheap," we have been conditioned to think recruiting should be business as usual for Louisville basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: BooneCo_Card
ADVERTISEMENT