ADVERTISEMENT

Did you know there are new OT rules after 4th OT period?

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
https://sports.yahoo.com/virginia-t...rst-test-of-new-overtime-rules-235520430.html

just saw thsi from the VT v UNC game

Virginia Tech and North Carolina became the first teams to try out college football’s new extended overtime rules Saturday night.

The Hokies beat North Carolina 43-41 in six overtimes thanks to a three-yard run by quarterback Quincy Patterson. Here’s how the score happened.

73e87d90-f2cb-11e9-9ebf-c68b2ba88ae4

View photos
How Virginia Tech won. (via Fox Sports)
It was not a touchdown. Instead, it was a two-point conversion that came on Virginia Tech’s only play of the overtime period. Think of it like college football’s version of penalty kicks.

The NCAA changed its overtime rules ahead of the 2019 season for any game that went beyond four overtimes in an attempt to shorten games that can go on for more than a handful of overtime periods. Starting this year, any game that went over four overtimes resulted in a rotating contest of two-point conversions from the 3 to see who scores first. And since North Carolina failed to score on its conversion to start the sixth overtime, Patterson’s run was the game-winning score.

Both teams missed field goals in the fourth overtime to send the game to a fifth overtime at 41-41. And neither team was successful on its conversions in the fifth overtime.

The six overtimes fall one short of the FBS record for most overtimes. That record was tied in 2018 when Texas A&M beat LSU 74-72 in seven overtimes at the end of the regular season.

All other overtime rules were unchanged. Both Virginia Tech and North Carolina needed to go for two-point conversions in the third and fourth overtimes after touchdowns by rule.

I did not know. Thanks for posting. I was definitely wondering how that 43-41 score came about, because I knew that it had been tied at 41 after the second overtime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT