ADVERTISEMENT

Denny Crum versus Rick Pitino?

There was a lot less drama during the Crum years. Other than the mediocre and losing records and run ins with the NCAA toward the end of his career. But UofL was never banned from playing in the tournament or yanked banners down. Being UNCC's and UAB's whipping boy kinda sucked.

Reactions: wilkie01
Just stop, stupid thread! We get that you hated RP being here. We all loved Coach Crum, but he had to go. Stop being butthurt. Coach Pitino was a great coach, but stumbled badly. What he did for us should stand on it's own merits. Thank you to Coach Crum and Coach Pitino for all you gave to the University of Louisville! Now is the time to get behind Coach Mack! Onward and upward!

Just stop, stupid thread! We get that you hated RP being here. We all loved Coach Crum, but he had to go. Stop being butthurt. Coach Pitino was a great coach, but stumbled badly. What he did for us should stand on it's own merits. Thank you to Coach Crum and Coach Pitino for all you gave to the University of Louisville! Now is the time to get behind Coach Mack! Onward and upward!

We lost banners and forfeit about 150 games. That is not butthurt that is the actual truth! Pitino's dirty deeds cost us Tom Jurich as well.

Like I said before I’ll wait until the investigation by the FBI is over, the Crap Journal has already reported wrongfully. I loved Coach Crum he gave us 2 titles and years of great basketball, unfortunately the game passed him up at the end of his career. Coach Pitino took over a program that was really down and built it back up. CRP did it in the toughest basketball conferences in the country. Like coach Crum he had great success that gave us great memories but like coach Crum his last year ended woefully.

Reactions: American Male
If Donald Swain and Bill Olsen didn't wanna defend the removal of Crum's banners, he might be short one or two as well.

(Translated... It ain't all about the head coach.)

While it is always nice to compare two coaches but in this case they are both Hall of Fame coaches. Both were terrific and both had tremendous support from the Louisville administration. No need to compare. Crum only fault was he never could replace Wade Houston. Rick's only problem was he trusted people that ultimately brought him down.

The takeaway is all these coaches are only as good as the people sitting on the bench next to them.

Sorry, but Denny AND Rick inheritied a program that Peck Hickman built. Period. Both were great coaches but Peck was every bit as good. You’ll have to go back and see what his accomplishments actually were.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

We lost banners and forfeit about 150 games. That is not butthurt that is the actual truth! Pitino's dirty deeds cost us Tom Jurich as well.
Just simply a stupid post. Pitino had no dirty deeds that cost the program or Jurich. If being stabbed in the back by a assistant coach/former player is a dirty deed, then all of us are guilty of dirty deeds.

If you still believe Pitino knew what McGee was doing or agreed to have money given to Bowen you are simply a Pitino hater. Maybe he needed to go to get past the negative press but to claim that he knowingly put the program and his legacy in jeopardy for recruits is ludacris. It never happened!

Each day more evidence points that the FBI probe shows others used Pitino's name to redirect the wrongdoing and make the case notorious with a big name coach.

And Tom Jurich fired Denny Crum & hired Rick Pitino.

So what!?! You’re an idiot and have a serious need to head back to “cat piss”. Zipp is right in that Tom Jurich did exactly what he needed to do.

Reactions: jimmy5-11
Wow, our fan base' opinion is really split on this issue. Seems some do not care about morality, honor and integrity. Thank goodness the BOT and new president will.

First off, Denny Crum was a great coach and the game did not pass him by! Teams still use the “high/low post” offense and it’s tuff to defend. Denny REALLY missed Wade! Secondly Jurich came in and did what nobody at UofL could or would do and that was to remove Denny. Rick came in as a good coach then became IMO a great defensive coach. Ego’s May have blurred his vision, but still a good coach. Zip and gocds both are spot on. I remember Dromo and Peck, I don’t care who coaches the Cardinals, I’m still pulling for UofL

First off, Denny Crum was a great coach and the game did not pass him by! Teams still use the “high/low post” offense and it’s tuff to defend. Denny REALLY missed Wade! Secondly Jurich came in and did what nobody at UofL could or would do and that was to remove Denny. Rick came in as a good coach then became IMO a great defensive coach. Ego’s May have blurred his vision, but still a good coach. Zip and gocds both are spot on. I remember Dromo and Peck, I don’t care who coaches the Cardinals, I’m still pulling for UofL

I DO Not REMEMBER ANY IN THIS CONVERSATION SAYING THEY WOULD QUIT BEING cARD FANS,

Last edited:
These types of threads serve no purpose. Like Coach Mack said "there are no different eras. We are all Louisville basketball." Time to start acting accordingly. Besides, give a little time and those wins, the banner, will be reinstated.

Wow, you are struggling today Zipp. My heart bleeds for you man. Crum, first 15 years, 6 Final Fours, 2 National championships, ZERO sex scandals and never had a Nc removed. What a stretch that Olsen covered up, insulting to a great man, zero evidence from the matrix man. Little Ricky, two final fours, 1 NC that has been vacated, multiple sex scandals and because of his overly narcissitic tendencies, a University almost burned to the ground. Thanks little Ricky. Geez,no comparison with the empirical evidence given by yours truly, the most wonderful poster ever lol

We got Pitino after he was already wealthy and successful and not really hungry. As bad as his recruiting was in comparison to all the recruiting trips he took to places like New York and south Florida, he had to be spending most of his time chasing tail. Dude, finally got a little serious after Sypher but then was negligent and destroyed the program. Great hire that turned into a train wreck.

Reactions: wilkie01
Wow, you are struggling today Zipp. My heart bleeds for you man. Crum, first 15 years, 6 Final Fours, 2 National championships, ZERO sex scandals and never had a Nc removed. What a stretch that Olsen covered up, insulting to a great man, zero evidence from the matrix man. Little Ricky, two final fours, 1 NC that has been vacated, multiple sex scandals and because of his overly narcissitic tendencies, a University almost burned to the ground. Thanks little Ricky. Geez,no comparison with the empirical evidence given by yours truly, the most wonderful poster ever lol
LOL... Did we have Crum for the NEXT fifteen years, or was that a bad dream?...

Most of those 15 years, Crum's bad ones, were very similar to Pitino's years here after the vacated Final Fours.
Crum went to the NIT twice and four times didn't make ANY postseason tourney. And most of those years, while playing schedules in the Metro Conference and CUSA. Not quite the BEast and ACC.

I love Denny, but some of you guys need to get your facts straight...

Reactions: gocds
Crum went to the NIT twice and four times didn't make ANY postseason tourney. And most of those years, while playing schedules in the Metro Conference and CUSA. Not quite the BEast and ACC.

I love Denny, but some of you guys need to get your facts straight...
Here are the facts. In Denny's worst years he went to 5 Sweet 16's and an elite 8. Like I said, not all that much different from Pitino's time here. Pitino was an incredible underachiever here.

Here are the facts. In Denny's worst years he went to 5 Sweet 16's and an elite 8. Like I said, not all that much different from Pitino's time here. Pitino was an incredible underachiever here.
You need a new U of L media guide... Crum had losing seasons two of his last three years. He couldn't even make the postseason some years...

You need a new U of L media guide... Crum had losing seasons two of his last three years. He couldn't even make the postseason some years...
And I supported his firing but we are comparing the roughly 15 year periods and accomplishment of two coaches. As I said, Crum's worst 15 years are not that much different than Pitino's time here in total. You can't spin that away.

Reactions: American Male
And I supported his firing but we are comparing the roughly 15 year periods and accomplishment of two coaches. As I said, Crum's worst 15 years are not that much different than Pitino's time here in total. You can't spin that away.
The other guy bracketed Crum's first 15 years for some reason.

I don't care what Crum did 20 years before he was let go. In the few years before he "retired", he paved the way for Pitino's arrival. And Jurich made exactly the right move at the right time. If anything, we were a year late making it happen...

The other guy bracketed Crum's first 15 years for some reason.

I don't care what Crum did 20 years before he was let go. In the few years before he "retired", he paved the way for Pitino's arrival. And Jurich made exactly the right move at the right time. If anything, we were a year late making it happen...
Bottom line is Crum won 2 titles and went to 6 Final Fours. Pitino was here more than half the time Denny was and we have one Final Four to show for it. You can do the math. Yes Denny deserved to be fired and yes I wanted Pitino to be hired more than anyone and yes I am very sorry it happened.

Bottom line is Crum won 2 titles and went to 6 Final Fours. Pitino was here more than half the time Denny was and we have one Final Four to show for it. You can do the math. Yes Denny deserved to be fired and yes I wanted Pitino to be hired more than anyone and yes I am very sorry it happened.
I don't need any math... I was happy for both coaches. And one needed to go when the other arrived. I don't need to choose one or the other; that was the OP's argument...

I don't need any math... I was happy for both coaches. And one needed to go when the other arrived. I don't need to choose one or the other; that was the OP's argument...
I understand. There are some fans who will always have an unrequited love for Pitino in spite of what he did to the program and our reputation. I always said they loved Pitino more than they loved UofL. I also said they would be hypercritical of his successor in a way they never applied to him. I still think it is possible that Mack can be an upgrade over Pitino and without all the drama. That will depend on his ability to recruit although I think he will actually be more successful in that regard too.

Coaches are hired guns, and I don't recommend that fans fall in love with any of them. You're only going to be disappointed when you find out how little they love you in return.

And the same is mostly true of players although they're kids and receiving no money. But "love" should still never enter the picture...

Sorry, but Denny AND Rick inheritied a program that Peck Hickman built. Period. Both were great coaches but Peck was every bit as good. You’ll have to go back and see what his accomplishments actually were.

Peck should always be honored but comparing him to Crum & Pitino is apples and oranges. If I’m not mistaken, Peck’s teams either scrimmaged or actually played games against Valley High School. A lot has changed in the level of competition since Peck coached.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT