ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Talent

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
How many of our defensive starters would start on other mid-range ACC teams? Etheridge is the only one sure fire. There is just an absence of high end defensive talent. When you couple that with an erratic offense and bad special teams play, this is what you get.

Reactions: vivid_red
Well, yes. But I see issues that have nothing to do with talent and that’s the more concerning thing. Brown should be coaching for his job the balance of this season. You can’t just bring the Appalachian State staff and keep everyone as things implode. Decisions.

Character, Goldwire, and Burns are very good players who could start for many ACC teams. Yeast has done an amazing job just getting back on the field at this point, but he's not all the way back yet. The free safety spot is where were are struggling the most.

Reactions: Mayoman
Character, Goldwire, and Burns are very good players who could start for many ACC teams. Yeast has done an amazing job just getting back on the field at this point, but he's not all the way back yet. The free safety spot is where were are struggling the most.

I like all those guys but I’m not sure how many teams they’d start for. Character isn’t great in man coverage, Burns is tweener in terms of size and Goldwire gets pushed around.

Well, yes. But I see issues that have nothing to do with talent and that’s the more concerning thing. Brown should be coaching for his job the balance of this season. You can’t just bring the Appalachian State staff and keep everyone as things implode. Decisions.

There were some clear coaching concerns, especially in the Miami game. But if there is only 1 sure fire top level ACC starter type player on defense it’s hard to run any scheme effectively. We get absolutely no pressure from our front guys. And when we bring a blitz those guys are coming in out of control and not in great tackling position. One side step and it’s a long gainer, especially for these faster QBs.

I like all those guys but I’m not sure how many teams they’d start for. Character isn’t great in man coverage, Burns is tweener in terms of size and Goldwire gets pushed around.
Hayes is a 5 year senior transfer from Arizona. [?] Frankly, I don't believe he understands where he is supposed to be on the field.

Hayes is a 5 year senior transfer from Arizona. [?] Frankly, I don't believe he understands where he is supposed to be on the field.

He is struggling and no he does not seem to understand his responsibilities as a safety.

Defense is lacking across CF. Look at the high scores today. I’m not excusing our lack of D. I’m totally ticked off. Just trying to hold ugly back. 😡

Sadly I think the fix is recruiting and only recruiting. But last year we could tackle, at least better than yesterday. Stupid penalties have to stop and MC needs figure things out.
Unfortunately this is a total rebuild as I’ve stated before. And frankly I didn’t think that was going to be necessary. Boy I was wrong.

Reactions: Mayoman
I'm not promoting the defense, but four games is too early to make a call on where it stands.

We finished 122nd in the country last year in total defense at 484 ypg. Through four games this year, we're allowing 390 ypg. Last year, that would have been good for about 65th. Obviously, that comparison doesn't allow for schedule strength.

Even with better coaching and players, we're not going to Top 30 in one year...

ADVERTISEMENT