ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Line 2020

PushupMan

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Losses from the depth chart:
GG Robinson, Amonte Caban, Ty Tyler. Gary McCrae also on the roster but not on the depth chart.

Returning from the depth chart. (Class listed will be for 2020)
#29 Tabarius Peterson 6-3, 252 RS-SR.
#90 Jared Goldwire 6-6, 286 SR,
#57 Dayna Kinnard 6-3, 254 RS-JR
#91 Derek Dorsey 6-3, 265 RS-SR
#92 Malik Clark 6-2, 273 RS-JR

Other players listed at DL and currently on the roster:
#31 Zach Edwards, 6-3, 230 RS-FR
#41 Ramon Puryear, 6-3, 255 RS-FR
#97 Caleb Tillman, 6-3, 286 RS-SR

2020 Verbals listed as DL:
DT Henry Bryant 6-0, 269 (3-star 5.5)
DE Austin Collins 6-3, 261 (3-star 5.5)
DT Jared Dawson 6-2, 260 (3-star 5.5)
DT Dezmond Tell 6-1, 270 (2-star 5.4)

Losses from the depth chart:
GG Robinson, Amonte Caban, Ty Tyler. Gary McCrae also on the roster but not on the depth chart.

Returning from the depth chart. (Class listed will be for 2020)
#29 Tabarius Peterson 6-3, 252 RS-SR.
#90 Jared Goldwire 6-6, 286 SR,
#57 Dayna Kinnard 6-3, 254 RS-JR
#91 Derek Dorsey 6-3, 265 RS-SR
#92 Malik Clark 6-2, 273 RS-JR

Other players listed at DL and currently on the roster:
#31 Zach Edwards, 6-3, 230 RS-FR
#41 Ramon Puryear, 6-3, 255 RS-FR
#97 Caleb Tillman, 6-3, 286 RS-SR

2020 Verbals listed as DL:
DT Henry Bryant 6-0, 269 (3-star 5.5)
DE Austin Collins 6-3, 261 (3-star 5.5)
DT Jared Dawson 6-2, 260 (3-star 5.5)
DT Dezmond Tell 6-1, 270 (2-star 5.4)

IMO (size wise) the names in bold are the only DLinemen we have that weigh in where they are supposed to, and that is only if they add 20-30 lbs without losing anything on their "get off" or quickness.

Not much beef there to match up against a lot of Power 5 teams on the returners but the recruits are bigger.

Their scheme is smaller and quicker guys but for their scheme to work they have to get in the back field and create negative plays. They really didn’t do much of that all year. Virginia was their best game in that regard.

It makes sense the recruiting pool of kids undersized with good quickness is bigger. They have to be able to identify the best players in that pool that fit their scheme. If you get 8-10 guys that fit the scheme then getting worn down doesn’t become an issue.

The other factor is you need 8 to 10 Linebackers that fit the scheme. Need guys that can create havoc with the speed and quickness. Monty Montgomery made plays everytime he played. I am surprised he didn’t get more snaps. That position should be easier to recruit too.

I think we look too much into

“We need this size now to compete with Clemson and the rest of the power 5”

Patience. We need to build a competitive roster first. Scott is building a system and a culture, that requires players who are buying into the system 100%. Maybe they aren’t the D-linemen that can beat Clemson and Notre Dame today, but we just need to have a roster that can beat Wake, UVA, BC, and NC State every year.

Let’s get a balanced team first. Let’s have a consistent team. Then once we have the right roster and the results become consistent, we start moving into the next tier getting better recruits. That’s when we attack FSU and Clemson.

Instant results don’t happen. You have to build and that’s what we hired.

Jared Goldwire is going to be a solid returning NT, out of the three recruits, we need a quick twitch guy that can move and be a solid back up. I think we need another DT who can help with run situations, because I noticed we played GG and Goldwire on several short yardage situations.

Most importantly for the defense IMO is finding edge rushers who can get to the QB. Ja'Darien Boykin, Kameron Wilson, Zay Peterson and whoever else signs with us out of the three we are recruiting needs to have that pass rushing skill set. We don't have an edge rusher on the current roster and our CB's paid the price. It's impossible to play man to man defense when the opposing QB has all day to pass the ball. We are recruiting plenty of players that can develop into an edge rusher or play weakside linebacker.

Experience with the same Defensive Coordinator is something that has to be taken into consideration. Next year when we bring back a Goldwire in the middle, both Etheridge and Avery at Linebacker, along with Abdullah and Burns on the outside, those are guys that have performed in the system and can focus on getting better, and refining their tools to become better in our 'system'. Personally, I thought Monty Montgomery excelled on the outside the few times he was placed their to get after the QB. I would move him outside and bring Robert Hicks back inside. But these coaches have forgotten more than I know, so I trust their judgement.

It would be nice to see how our corners perform with some king of pass rush. Adding depth to CB will help, but the most important position of 'need' in 2020 outside of an edge rusher, would be the safety position. If Yeast returns healthy, he needs a partner that can cover. Pass could not, nor could any of the back ups.

Our defense performed at times like it was the first time they had ever played together. No cohesion, no feel for where the next guy should be. Whenever we would blitz, especially from the safety position, either the CB failed to rotate or the other safety had no clue, hence the many times we were burned by TE's early in the season. Experience will bring that cohesion and that unit should be able to cover and perform as a unit instead of separate parts.

Coach Brown is the guy and I can't wait to see us improve and get better. I think we make a huge jump next season despite, but the offense will still be more efficient during the process. I believe we are two seasons away from seeing major improvements on the defensive front.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT