ADVERTISEMENT

Defense?

CardFanDad

700+
Mar 15, 2008
Something seems different with the defense in the last three games. We're giving up more big plays and allowing a lot more yard and points. Any thoughts?

I thought we would be better in the secondary with Brownlee back but we got beat on some big plays. Brown had several good kickoff returns before the big one and we kept kicking to him.

In my opinion, in all three games, we have played teams that have good offensive skill position players. For Virginia. Colandrea, like Castellanos at BC, was very effective at beating our pressure by taking off on the run, and then Malik Washington is a fantastic run after catch possession receiver.

Both UK and Miami had scouted our pressures and did a good job of blocking them up. And as has been discussed, one could say that in both games there were a number of holding calls that could have been called. Both of those teams have bigger offensive lines that, if they get their hands on our defensive players, they have a good chance of stopping or moving them. They also have good running backs, receivers and veteran QBs, so when the pass rush doesn’t hit home, they have the talent and experience to exploit a bad matchup for a big play.

Not sure how often it happened, but I did notice that UKs Dane Key pushed off against Quincy Riley in order to get separation on an important third down conversion. If the refs are going to let the offensive player get away with that level of physicality, then even our great cornerbacks are going to get beaten occasionally.

The matchup that killed Louisville was Alderman on Davis. It was a mismatch. Alderman has had two really bad weeks. He has been good but has his limits.

This style of defense is extremely effective against teams with average lines. It is susceptible against better lines with good skill players. Can’t miss assignments because it leads to huge chuck plays. They been missing assignments a bunch the last three weeks. Better competition exposes issues that may of been occurring but lesser teams couldn’t-didn’t take advantage.

There were 2 plays to the tight end that were blown coverages in big spots. Other than that is was their guys making plays.

Louisville still has a way to go defensively talent wise to play straight up against the better lines.

Reactions: PushupMan
The two play drive Ky had was the worst we had been all season. The secondary was not even close to covering any body.

The two dropped INTs were the difference in my mind. Both drives lead to Kentucky touchdowns and we had an opportunity to expand the lead to 3 scores on the second dropped pick from Riley. That would’ve most likely been the mail in the coffin if we scored after that potential pick.

What hurts me the most is knowing Leary is absolute trash and he will always be remembered for coming into L&N and escaping with a win. Just like Levis every year. Not good in national comparison but the defense made them both look like all-Americans. Sad to see.

Defense was decent last game. The loss of Steven Herron did change things. That last touchdown had a poorly designed line stunt with tackle one gap too far out. That put Alderman with 2 gaps to cover. He is not a large MLB. Bet we get larger interior LBs.

On the last Davis TD romp; you could see the gap in the left side of our defensive line, but I believe it was Alderman (might have been another LB) who stood still a few yards back, and instead of aggressively filling that hole in an effort to meet Davis at the LOS, he waited until Davis was past the LOS, and missed when diving at his legs. Our LBs are taught to fill the gap, something he failed to do.

On the last Davis TD romp; you could see the gap in the left side of our defensive line, but I believe it was Alderman (might have been another LB) who stood still a few yards back, and instead of aggressively filling that hole in an effort to meet Davis at the LOS, he waited until Davis was past the LOS, and missed when diving at his legs. Our LBs are taught to fill the gap, something he failed to do.
Alderman had several missed tackles that led to scores. A critical 4th and 2 where he was in the backfield and whiffed, then on a dumpoff to Davis after the plummer fumble. Finally the last Davis score on the gap integrity. Ky scored after he didn't make the popup int.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT