ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

Ibleedblue1973

Getting the Hang of It
Nov 18, 2019
Reality is we have some talent on defense , we also have a severe lack of fundamental execution. I don't care if all our defensive players were 2 star recruits , embarrassing tackling technique is a coaching deficiency. Every year we see 2 * on down to non rated recruits that can still tackle. Low ratings more often than not are the result of poor 40 time, weak cover skills , physical weakness etc. Division 1 recruits with offers from power5 programs should be able to tackle.
Some refinement may be in order but the basic technique should be present. No excuses. Ok some great offensive players make aloud tackles look below average but what we are seeing is unacceptable. Our alignment were wrong. Then after seeing the mistake there were very little if any adjustments. I'm tired of hearing about Brown getting his own recruits. That just means , smaller , quicker linebackers who are better suited to cover recievers or smaller, quicker linemen who can cause problems for slower bigger o- linemen , not guys who can actually tackle.
If a guy isn't good at it he needs to be taught the proper technique to be successful. When a player is out of position it doesn't matter if he can tackle he probably won't get a good opportunity. Another thing is turnovers. Some d coaches teach players to strip the ball. Horrible idea. Doing so makes players focus on stripping the ball rather than getting the player on the ground.
This is sad people. I've seen some horriblee fundamentals on D this year. One play the db turned the wrong way while the ball was in the air. WHAT!!. A defense full of slower, less instinctive, weaker players with solid fundamentals. Will put a respectable product on the field . I absolutely hate the thought of 5 coordinates in 5 years but the things I've seen probably won't change with Brown's recruits.
If we want to be a real power 5 program we need to spend the dough and go get a bad boy d coordinator.

Reactions: zipp
Anyone who wants to argue with me and say I know nothing about football I have 1 example for you. Several years ago when we played Houston and Lamar Jackson was sacked 6 times. We also had multiple tfl. Fact is Houston's defense lived in our backfield. Was it because their players were far superior than ours? No. It was 100% scheme. Brown is absolutely incompitant when scheming for a team. His blitz packages are either few or non existent. No angles, no confusion, no advantage.. He is vanilla and noncreative.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
I will bite.

You aren’t wrong but maybe premature. I don’t know why people think the really good coaches out scheme their opponents. They out talent them then out scheme. Make no mistake dudes matter. They matter in implementing and executing your scheme.

The conversation always starts with talent/dudes. I am not really talking about player rankings either. I am talking about kids that just get it. Always in the right spot make plays. Louisville doesn’t have many on that side of the ball. The results on the field support that reality.

The question is can the recruit the right kids to their system. Real simple if they can’t scheme doesn’t matter. I think the coaches prefer a quicker Dline. They aren’t looking for big bodies to free up linebackers. They are looking guys to be disruptive getting in the backfield. If that dude happens to be 6-5 300lbs then they will take him. That is a completely different scheme than the previous staff. They just recruited big bodies so there is a real retooling going on defense.

Wisconsin/VT/Baylor are the blue print on defense will less talent, but you know what when they go up against a Ohio State/Georgia/Clemson/Oklahoma good luck. You can only get so much out of talent and scheme.

Louisville defense was good enough against teams with similar or less talent. No where near good enough when they faced better talent. Could they schemed better in those games absolutely, but it wouldn’t changed the outcome except maybe the FSU loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds
Anyone who wants to argue with me and say I know nothing about football I have 1 example for you. Several years ago when we played Houston and Lamar Jackson was sacked 6 times. We also had multiple tfl. Fact is Houston's defense lived in our backfield. Was it because their players were far superior than ours? No. It was 100% scheme. Brown is absolutely incompitant when scheming for a team. His blitz packages are either few or non existent. No angles, no confusion, no advantage.. He is vanilla and noncreative.

Houston had Ed Oliver - a first round d lineman that is having a huge impact in his rookie NFL season. In total 7 guys from that Houston defense have been drafted. That defense had some dudes.

Reactions: gocds
Reality is we have some talent on defense , we also have a severe lack of fundamental execution. I don't care if all our defensive players were 2 star recruits , embarrassing tackling technique is a coaching deficiency. Every year we see 2 * on down to non rated recruits that can still tackle. Low ratings more often than not are the result of poor 40 time, weak cover skills , physical weakness etc. Division 1 recruits with offers from power5 programs should be able to tackle.
Some refinement may be in order but the basic technique should be present. No excuses. Ok some great offensive players make aloud tackles look below average but what we are seeing is unacceptable. Our alignment were wrong. Then after seeing the mistake there were very little if any adjustments. I'm tired of hearing about Brown getting his own recruits. That just means , smaller , quicker linebackers who are better suited to cover recievers or smaller, quicker linemen who can cause problems for slower bigger o- linemen , not guys who can actually tackle.
If a guy isn't good at it he needs to be taught the proper technique to be successful. When a player is out of position it doesn't matter if he can tackle he probably won't get a good opportunity. Another thing is turnovers. Some d coaches teach players to strip the ball. Horrible idea. Doing so makes players focus on stripping the ball rather than getting the player on the ground.
This is sad people. I've seen some horriblee fundamentals on D this year. One play the db turned the wrong way while the ball was in the air. WHAT!!. A defense full of slower, less instinctive, weaker players with solid fundamentals. Will put a respectable product on the field . I absolutely hate the thought of 5 coordinates in 5 years but the things I've seen probably won't change with Brown's recruits.
If we want to be a real power 5 program we need to spend the dough and go get a bad boy d coordinator.
Like another poster I am not saying you are wrong(although you may be), but premature. I attended the Houston game you mentioned and it was very discouraging to see how their defense totally dominated us.
I myself have questioned Coach Brown's Scheme. With all the changes that have occurred in College Football Offenses that have lead to more scoring, I still believe the games are won or lost on the line of scrimmage(LOS). If you are getting whipped on the LOS, you are probably going to lose the game. And the Houston game you mentioned, our Oline got dominated by Ed Oliver and his cohorts.

I remember posting in a thread back when Sirmon was our DC, how critically thin we were in terms of talent on the D-Line. And this years DL is a lot less talented than that one was. We got absolutely no pressure on the QB unless we rushed at least 5 guys. And that puts a lot of pressure on the Secondary.

Until we get more talent on the DLine(and overall), I don't care who the DC is , we are going to struggle on defense.

After watching several conference championships yesterday I’m concerned. Looking at the size of the D linemen on some of those teams you had to be impressed by the size and abilities of those guys. I know one of the UK linemen saying they were used to pushing around 300 lb. guys and had no problem with 250 lb. UL D linemen. Speed is nice and schemes are nice but you really need size to keep the O line from just plowing you out of the way. I’m afraid that until we get comparable size on both lines we’re gonna struggle against top teams. I just don’t know how many 325 lb. and 6’3 humans with athleticism are available to us.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
I just don’t know how many 325 lb. and 6’3 humans with athleticism are available to us.

The answer there aren’t enough that have the size and quickness. Those guys tend to be highly concentrated at the elite programs. For Louisville they have to find the kids that have to quickness and frame to add weight to then develop. The reality is Louisville isn’t going to sign enough 4-5 stars on the Dline. That is exactly what they did in the Conference USA and Big East. Go back look at the defense in BP 1.0. That is the model.

Nothing is certain. But if I was a betting man, I’d say the OP is right about our D coordinator. There was little or no improvement this year with mostly the same roster of players.

However, I would not change the coordinator one season in. You want more evidence, and you don’t wanna make a martyr out of the guy. You’ll also get pushback about changing the guy every year.

This coming year is his year...

I respect every ones replies but not 1 person touched on tackling. All size, speed etc. I've never seen worse tackling. UK absolutely was not gonna pass the ball in our game and we looked like we've never played a d-1 game. Rewatch our games this season and count the missed tackles. Hell just count the yards after contact. Its atrocious

I respect every ones replies but not 1 person touched on tackling. All size, speed etc. I've never seen worse tackling. UK absolutely was not gonna pass the ball in our game and we looked like we've never played a d-1 game. Rewatch our games this season and count the missed tackles. Hell just count the yards after contact. Its atrocious

The tackling in 2018 was worse than 2019.

"We"

I bleed blue.

More like i bleed troll.

I think you guys are discounting some of the guys we've had on our roster in years past. O and D line takes time to recruit and build proper depth. Replacing Brown right now would be a mistake!

Defense was ranked 107th nationally with a lot better offense. I'm not sure we didn't take a step back...

2018 defense was ranked #122
2018 was 2-10. Gave up 50 points or more 6 times

2019 defense improved 15 spots.
Gave up 50 points or more twice.
7-4 record. Going to a bowl.

Improvement.

Improvement.
The 2019 offense improved by SEVENTY positions. Makes a little difference.

Match up this year's defense with LAST year's offense. Uglier...

Too small of a sample size to draw any real conclusion on the defensive staff. Brown and Dennison are young don’t have a history to draw from like we have in the offensive side. Patience is needed they have to build up their side of the ball. There needs to be improvement next year. I think it will be marginal.

Tackling is an issue especially with the LB’s and CB’s. They have recognized that as an issue. Let’s see how it improves.

Talent is coming, they had good day yesterday with the news of 2 DE that will be here in January. Both fit their scheme.

Last one on talent—go back and look at the 2016, 2017, and 2018 recruiting classes especially look at the Dline. Maybe 2 guys left on the roster that were recruited for that position. All the rest came in as LB’s.

Slater-gone
Love-gone
Boykins-gone
Jackson-gone
Dumerville-Effectively gone
Williams-gone
Jones-gone

Looking back it is amazing the lack of attention given to the front 7 and to make matters worse they didn’t develop or retain 90 percent of the players they recruited.

You can tell the way they recruited they weren’t planning on being there long.

We at least got some help coming in on d-line with the additions of Boykin and Griffis. I hope these two come in ready to play cause we need it.

Griffis held offers from Florida, West Virginia, Penn State, etc. We flipped him from FSU.

Last edited:
Tackling got worse as the season progressed. Our tackling was much improved early on. Yeast didn't play against UK and he is very good open field tackler. Khane is good, he's just terrible in pass coverage.

Coach Brown played the hand he was given. It's almost impossible to cover a WR when the QB has all day to pass the ball. One thing I did like about this defense is that they made some crucial stops when necessary. They just wore down over the course of a long season.

My only knock on Coach Brown is the 3-4 defense. I've never been a fan, especially here at Louisville where we rarely get 6'4 320 pound NT.

Improvement.
Anyone want to compare the caliber of ACC teams between last year and this year? Zipp? Anybody?

Very good news coming out here in the last couple of days. DE Josh Griffis (5.7 3-star) flipped to us from FSU and will enroll in January. Also, two of our top prospects from last year’s class, DE Ja’Darien Boykin and CB Jamel Starks, have qualified and will be enrolling in January. Boykin and Starks were rivals 5.6 3-stars, and Boykin was ranked even higher than that by other recruiting services. Phil Steele had him as his 57th best defensive lineman and the highest rated player in our class last year.

Last edited:
Anyone want to compare the caliber of ACC teams between last year and this year? Zipp? Anybody?

Last year’s schedule was slightly tougher.

Removing the 8 games we played against ACC teams in both seasons, the 8 teams we played last year went 60-36 (62.5%). The 8 ACC teams we played this year went 54-36 (60%).

Overall, again removing the 12 games we played this year and last year, our 12 opponents last year went 92-51 (64.3%). This year our 12 opponents went 84-50 (62.7%).

RPI ranks this year's SOS for U of L much stronger than last, #6 vs #74.

That makes the performance of this year's offense look that much better, but it muddies the water about the defense, i.e., bad vs tougher schedule.

RPI rated the ACC last year as the 5th best conference nationally, this year as the 6th best...

Reactions: nccardfan
I think comparing last year with this year is pointless. It is a completely different staff with 22 players leaving tied in with a smaller than normal class.

My only take away from last year is the head coach lost his entire team and staff. That completely skews last years numbers. Start comparing stats next year.

Last edited:
Porta good posts. I just hope the incoming defensive recruits are sound tackles. Nothing aggrevates me more than. Bad tackling. Btw I changed my user name so I could go over to uk's site and f*** with those idiots. They barred me with my original user name. So. No. Not a troll. Should be kinda obvious.

Porta good posts. I just hope the incoming defensive recruits are sound tackles. Nothing aggrevates me more than. Bad tackling. Btw I changed my user name so I could go over to uk's site and f*** with those idiots. They barred me with my original user name. So. No. Not a troll. Should be kinda obvious.

New Year's Resolution for you.....change your user name. :D Sometimes name alone gets us o_O.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT