ADVERTISEMENT

Defense cant get any worse

GOCARDS6

300+
Aug 11, 2016
between special teams and a defense that is so lost they couldn't find water in the ocean, this game is over

I mean until we get the personnel to compete, not much coaching can do when the opposition is bigger stronger and faster

On both 75 yard TDs we had no defenders on the boundary side of the field. There is a scheme issue that needs to get fixed.

3 touchdowns on 3 complete breakdowns in scheme. On last touchdown it’s mind blowing that UofL didn’t use a touchdown. Coaches need to get it together. Complete disaster in a prime time game.

No leader on the D side. Goldwire has been a complete bust. Both Avery and Etheridge are undersized and lack any semblance of field down - distance - football IQ. Frankly, UAB has more talent on the D side than we do specifically in the secondary. Petrino quit recruiting which killed us but Brown still shares some responsibility.

Reactions: RomanOben
No, that prick owns it. He failed to recruit the final year and half he was here. Brown may not be the answer but he has absolutely nothing to work with.

Personnel can be a reason for a lot of things, but these complete breakdowns aren't just personnel. We are lost in coverage, and in contain. I can understand being run over, or maybe run past due to size and speed. But being completely lost so often is not just about talent.

Hopefully they will learn and improve.

The current starting D is senior heavy. Petrino's guys. Talent encompasses having enough game awareness to recognize that something is amiss when you see 3 wideouts covered by one D back with no over the top help. No amount of coaching can overcome that magnitude of stupidity.

The current starting D is senior heavy. Petrino's guys. Talent encompasses having enough game awareness to recognize that something is amiss when you see 3 wideouts covered by one D back with no over the top help. No amount of coaching can overcome that magnitude of stupidity.
And with COVID, it’s hard to do a lot of that hands on coaching to make those improvements. Bad habits are hard to break.

The longer Brown is here, the better they’ll get. We don’t need to start over again. Let these guys get their system and players in and let em rock.

Reactions: Deeva
Part of the issue is scheme, some of it is intentional. There is no way we can continue to use a 3 man rush. Also small undersize, fast DL ain’t going to cut it, not even in the ACC.

Some of this was simple stuff. On the last touchdown, Miami had 3 receivers to the wide side and none to the boundary. And yet we had a cornerback (a senior) who was covering air on the boundary side. It’s surprising he was on the wrong side but it blows my mind that the coaches didn’t see it and call timeout. It was clear that we were screwed up assignment-wise. On the two long touchdowns Miami was in a similar formation (unbalanced to the wide side of the field). Our safety to the boundary side for some reason got sucked into the line scrimmage. UK did a lot of these unbalanced sets against us last year as well. Clearly we have schematic problem against unbalanced sets to the wide side of the field. Should be correctable.

On both 75 yard TDs we had no defenders on the boundary side of the field. There is a scheme issue that needs to get fixed.
I think the defensive coordinator is responsible for these awful blown assignments, someone should have called timeout as we were not even lined up right .if a player #33 hayes doesn’t know where to play ,that is on Coach Brown ,chew his butt and sit his butt down to,watch his replacement line up right .tomhave it happen twice is unforgivable .
another even bigger more important Issue is how tight ends have destroyed this defense since the Opener against WKY last year where tight ends just run free and score untouched, I put this Allmon the defensive coordinator ,linebacker and Defensive back coaches as Burns totally let the guy run by him .this is a trend , not a one time issue and if it continues this year and not fixed for Pitt And ND who relies on a lot this could be as bad a defense as 2018

the miami defense after the 40 minutes the score 27- 21 was on the field for 26:30 and gassed ,we just needed one stop 3 and out to get the opportunity to tie the game and if so, the Miami defense could have collapsed in the 4 th quarter , but it d Not happen

the answer is simple produce or don’t play ,and if the DC. And his staff continue to allow for this awful play ,then at the need of the year they have to go .Tutu, Hawkins and Cunningham could All be gone next year and then what ? To waste 3 of the top 25 -50 offensive talents in the nation is just not acceptable . Hopefully against Pitt the D will not have the challenges as Miami put forth , but Pitt defensively is very tough

I believe the scheme was okay, but Isaiah Hayes (or his backup, Jack Fagot) just has much less experience than Khane Pass did. When your free safety misses an assignment, it’s often very ugly.

Those two guys should definitely be fighting for their positions on the depth chart this week. Are you ready, Lovie Jenkins?

Reactions: gocds
If we’re going to get beat by missed assignments then let the FR/RSFr do it get experience for the future.

The offense was NOTHING like what I expected. It was adequate, but not the juggernaut I expected after last year. I hope that wasn’t Fool’s Gold.

Still capable of a good season. Just have to do it.

Hope we’ve, and he, have heard thE last about MC Heisman hype.

Reactions: luv2hit63
A total lack of defense was our problem last night. Whether it’s coaching or talent OR a combination, it’s gotta get fixed. Brown should get a stern talking to by CSS today, TOMORROW and Wednesday. We have to play better versus Pitt.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

The strange thing is that outside of the breakouts, the D played pretty well. We pretty much stuffed their run game except for one play, and King didn’t really run wild like he is capable of. But those easy TDs killed us. I’m not so sure there is that great a talent gap. But in situational awareness and scheme, we are totally inadequate, to the point if embarrassment.

We are playing a former walk on from Tates Creek at FS. One example, of many. So yes, the talent gap is huge. Honestly, I am not sure what game you watched last night.

I'm willing to let the cake bake but if there isn't improvement by year end then we might need to FARR a sonofabeyitch
Really by the end of the season? Are you looking into a crystal ball and expecting new players by seasons end. Because unless that happens your pissing into the wind. We are small and slow on D. That’s only changing with recruits. This is an overhaul on D and it’s a multi year deal. Face it Petrino decimated our D. If we had Charlie’s D with this O we would be a very good team, but that’s not close to where we are. That’s the simple truth.

I mean until we get the personnel to compete, not much coaching can do when the opposition is bigger stronger and faster

Eventually, we are going to have to stop using the perceived talent void as a crutch. I think the staff gets tight for big games. It certainly plays a role. Treat each game the same.

Eventually, we are going to have to stop using the perceived talent void as a crutch. I think the staff gets tight for big games. It certainly plays a role. Treat each game the same.
I mean when a team is better a team is better.

You call it getting tight, I call it understanding the situation. We can play loose against Boston College who we just have way more athletes, but Miami isn’t scared of our speed because they have it all over the field.

Malik also can be turnover prone when under pressure, not to mention he takes a beating and has had to miss time.

The strange thing is that outside of the breakouts, the D played pretty well. We pretty much stuffed their run game except for one play, and King didn’t really run wild like he is capable of. But those easy TDs killed us. I’m not so sure there is that great a talent gap. But in situational awareness and scheme, we are totally inadequate, to the point if embarrassment.
I agree Bean. I watched my tape of the game on Sunday and was surprised how well we stuffed the Miami running attack in the second half. The deficiency appeared to be on the sideline.

Really by the end of the season? Are you looking into a crystal ball and expecting new players by seasons end. Because unless that happens your pissing into the wind. We are small and slow on D. That’s only changing with recruits. This is an overhaul on D and it’s a multi year deal. Face it Petrino decimated our D. If we had Charlie’s D with this O we would be a very good team, but that’s not close to where we are. That’s the simple truth.
Just don't understand why some fans cant see this.

I think the defensive coordinator is responsible for these awful blown assignments

the answer is simple produce or don’t play ,and if the DC. And his staff continue to allow for this awful play ,then at the need of the year they have to go.

That's right. If things don't get better by season's end then you have to FARRR that sonofabeyitch.

In all seriousness, Miami looks very very good. Fast. Athletic. Those two 75 yards touchdowns from Heaven were the difference, if those don't happen, we're all feeling much differently today even with a loss. Those were just BAD and I get talent and limitations etc but dude line up at the right place (someone mentioned "lining up against air" - lmao). Twice in a row? That thar kinda ignorance will get a sonofabeyitch FARRR'd if he ain't lernt by it.

you realize we dropped a easy TD pass and dropped several big passes that would have extended the score. We should have put two more TDs on the board. I wish we had your Wide Receivers because ours are horrible.

MC actually played their QB pretty evenly, with the INT being the difference between the two of them. 3 TD's, 72%, 307 yards, 1 INT. ALso he didn't rely on sandlot football to make plays.

MC actually played their QB pretty evenly, with the INT being the difference between the two of them. 3 TD's, 72%, 307 yards, 1 INT. ALso he didn't rely on sandlot football to make plays.
Didn’t he also fumble? We noticed in the WKU game during a TD run, he was holding the ball like a loaf of bread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT