ADVERTISEMENT

Darrel Griffith

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
I am traveling and they had an interview on with Griffith. The host of the show told him he heard way back then that Wade Houston, Bobby Turner and Darrell Griffith was a package deal. Griffith told him that was not true, that Houston was hired why they were still in high school. He also said that originally Bobby Turner signed with Oklahoma State.
He also said that he narrowed his final 2 choices down to Louisville and Michigan and decided to sign with Louisville the night before signing day. Turners dad died and he got a release from Oklahoma State so he could play at Louisville and help his mom.

Reactions: gocds and rh62531
#35 always my favorite. When he broke away for a dunk everyone in Freedom Hall would stand in anticipation of something spectacular. He never disappointed. The Doctor!

Reactions: CardsFirst
I am traveling and they had an interview on with Griffith. The host of the show told him he heard way back then that Wade Houston, Bobby Turner and Darrell Griffith was a package deal. Griffith told him that was not true, that Houston was hired why they were still in high school. He also said that originally Bobby Turner signed with Oklahoma State.
He also said that he narrowed his final 2 choices down to Louisville and Michigan and decided to sign with Louisville the night before signing day. Turners dad died and he got a release from Oklahoma State so he could play at Louisville and help his mom.
Wasn't Okie State the school Bobby was transferring to after he left UofL but never played?

Bobby originally signed with Ok State but after his fathers death he was released from Ok St so who could play at Louisville and be close to his mother. He never finished playing ball at Louisville because he quit college to help support the family.

Bobby originally signed with Ok State but after his fathers death he was released from Ok St so who could play at Louisville and be close to his mother. He never finished playing ball at Louisville because he quit college to help support the family.

Something I always wondered ..... How good would the Cards have been in 1980 with Turner and Scooter McCray? Unbeatable?

Reactions: earsky
Bobby was real good he had talent and a mean attitude to fight for every ball. Like Griffith he had a great vertical leap which enabled him to go up against bigger players. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Not sure we would have ever experienced just how exceptional Rodney was if it had not been for Scooter sitting out. Bobby Turner was incredible in that 1979 season ending loss to Arkansas, and I can recall thinking how valuable he could be if he returned for 1980 season.

Not sure we would have ever experienced just how exceptional Rodney was if it had not been for Scooter sitting out. Bobby Turner was incredible in that 1979 season ending loss to Arkansas, and I can recall thinking how valuable he could be if he returned for 1980 season.
I also wonder how good the 1981 team would have been had he gotten his academics in order and returned for his then senior year of eligibility.
I attended the Arkansas game in Cincy. I think it was the only time I saw them play that year, TV being what it was at the time. Griff struggled and I wondered if he would ever realize his potential. Scooter totally impressed me in the pivot as a true freshman. Sad his injury robbed him of a lot of his agility. Bobby was all over the place, defending, rebounding and scoring. Sidney Moncrief was All-World, second only to the guy from Indiana State. I hate to think what those tickets would cost now!

Nice and accurate review Boone CO; I was there too and you captured the event in time perfectly. Marvin Delph and Sidney Moncrief put on a show, and it it not been for Bobby’s performance, that loss could have been uglier.

I honestly believe that Darrell demonstrated a level of maturity that might be unprecedented, as he took the shame of that loss so personally that it prompted the legendary summer work out in Crawford gym on his own shooting perimeter shots over a tennis net to improve his outside shot. Moncrief must have stayed in his mind, as Sidney was as close to Darrell in terms of skill set as anyone.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I don't believe that is entirely correct. Turner did sign with OKState but his father refused to sign the LOI. It was never valid without his father's - mother's signature. I recall, his father being asked about it, after OKState released a statement, saying Turner had signed. Turner's father said he wasn't going to sign the LOI. That's what I recall. I don't recall Turner father's passing until some years after Bobby was at UL. Now, that's what I recall, I could be wrong.
As to what happened to Turner, [ again ] IIRC he struggled after leaving UL. I don't know if he ever got his act together.

Nice and accurate review Boone CO; I was there too and you captured the event in time perfectly. Marvin Delph and Sidney Moncrief put on a show, and it it not been for Bobby’s performance, that loss could have been uglier.

I honestly believe that Darrell demonstrated a level of maturity that might be unprecedented, as he took the shame of that loss so personally that it prompted the legendary summer work out in Crawford gym on his own shooting perimeter shots over a tennis net to improve his outside shot. Moncrief must have stayed in his mind, as Sidney was as close to Darrell in terms of skill set as anyone.
One slight correction to your post. It wasn't Marvin Delph. He had graduated the year before. It was the guy we don't mention around here. He had 18 pts.

I totally agree that this loss was the impetus for Darrell's hard work over the summer.

Reactions: rh62531
I also wonder how good the 1981 team would have been had he gotten his academics in order and returned for his then senior year of eligibility.
I attended the Arkansas game in Cincy. I think it was the only time I saw them play that year, TV being what it was at the time. Griff struggled and I wondered if he would ever realize his potential. Scooter totally impressed me in the pivot as a true freshman. Sad his injury robbed him of a lot of his agility. Bobby was all over the place, defending, rebounding and scoring. Sidney Moncrief was All-World, second only to the guy from Indiana State. I hate to think what those tickets would cost now!
Scooter was an amazing interior passer. One of the best that I have ever seen. You are correct - his potential was unlimited but he was never the same after the knee injury.

My most vivid memory of Bobby Turner was a game in Freedom Hall when his forehead was slashed open. He came back into the game with some type of headband bandage and grabbed a ton of rebounds although he was only 6 foot 2 or 3!

Reactions: rh62531 and Mayoman
I thought Bobby was 6’4” but no matter what size he sure was tough on the inside. Do any of you all remember Bill Butler? He came from Vincennes Junior College. He had one of the best vertical leaps of anyone. He intimidated bigs on the inside a fun player to watch.

Grif, However, had a a terrible game against Arkansas, but spent the following summer becoming a superstar!

Last edited:
Bobby Turner was 6'3", but incredibly strong. Butler was 6'1" tall, and jumped center for us. Could jump from standing position better than anyone I have ever seen.

I remember against Memphis Larry Finch and 6’9” Larry Kennon would go on a fast break and try to score on Butler. They did it twice and Butler blocked both of Kennon’s attempts. The 3rd time they broke loose and the only thing standing between them and a basket was 6’1” Bill Butler. Finch decided to pull it out and wait for the rest of the team. Freedom Hall gave a loud ovation to Butler during the play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT