ADVERTISEMENT

Dana Evans AP First Team All-American

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
The awards and recognition for Dana Evans continue to roll in. She was named a First Team All-American. Evans joins Angel McCoughtry and Asia Durr as the only Louisville WBB players named to the first team.

Evans is joined by Paige Bueckers (UConn), Rhyne Howard (Kentucky), NaLyssa Smith (Baylor), and Aliyah Boston (South Carolina).

The Second Team All-American squad included Elissa Cunane (NC State), Naz Hillmon (Michigan), Aari McDonald (Arizona), Caitlin Clark (Iowa), and Charli Collier (Texas).

Howard is on the First Team for the second straight year.

Personally, I would have had Olivia Nelson Odobo on that Second Team. I was not asked to participate in the vote. Based on what I've seen of our local AP scribes, they probably think Odobo is a Mexican restaurant, Bueckers is a country-western bar, Boston is in Massachusetts, not South Carolina and Dana is coming back next year.

--sonja--

The awards and recognition for Dana Evans continue to roll in. She was named a First Team All-American. Evans joins Angel McCoughtry and Asia Durr as the only Louisville WBB players named to the first team.

Evans is joined by Paige Bueckers (UConn), Rhyne Howard (Kentucky), NaLyssa Smith (Baylor), and Aliyah Boston (South Carolina).

The Second Team All-American squad included Elissa Cunane (NC State), Naz Hillmon (Michigan), Aari McDonald (Arizona), Caitlin Clark (Iowa), and Charli Collier (Texas).

Howard is on the First Team for the second straight year.

Personally, I would have had Olivia Nelson Odobo on that Second Team. I was not asked to participate in the vote. Based on what I've seen of our local AP scribes, they probably think Odobo is a Mexican restaurant, Bueckers is a country-western bar, Boston is in Massachusetts, not South Carolina and Dana is coming back next year.

--sonja--
Sonja I didn’t see UCONN play much this year. Did Bueckers deserve player of these over Dana? Hard for me to argue the point since I really didn’t see Bueckers play much. Plus there’s the level of competition we faced and UCONN didn’t.

Dana came in and was a sub first year. Sophomore year she is ACC 6th woman player of the year. Junior year she is ACC POY and All-American. Senior year she repeats as ACC POY ,All-American, adds Kay Yow Scholar Athlete. I have left out many other achievements.

She is 5'6" and came to college with an iffy jumper. No one has given her anything, but she has earned all of these awards from sheer hard work and determination.

Reactions: SoulSr
Paige is really smooth for sure. What I have seen of UConn is she is their offense. Would she deserve POY over Dana...no way.

I'm a homer and no I think Dana should be POY. Bueckerrs did a great job formUConn, but, just wh have they beaten?

--sonja--
Good that’s pretty much how I saw it. The shame is we didn’t get to play them. I think if we had it would have been clear that Dana was the better player

Good that’s pretty much how I saw it. The shame is we didn’t get to play them. I think if we had it would have been clear that Dana was the better player
Where did you see that Paige was POY?

She is not. It hasn't been determined yet.
Ok the headline I read was miss leading. It was published by ESPN. Says that she the 20-21 player of the year. But when you read the article their just making the argument for her.

No...say it isn’t so. ESPN advocating for a specific player or team. No way. They are an unbiased sports media outlet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT