ADVERTISEMENT

Cunningham vs. Bowden

Mar 14, 2011
I pose this question to see what the Cayut fans think but I also pose it like a lawyer, I know the answer before I ask the question.
So, the question is, if you could chose one of these two to be your quarterback which would it be?
I have my hand up first.
CUNNINGHAM!!!! First, he’s a quarterback not a wide receiver. He knows how to read defenses and know where the pressure is coming from. Also, he is in tune with his O-line and his receivers. Second, he runs as well as Bowden and I would say he runs better. He’s faster. Third, he can throw. Passer rating is off the charts and has shown the ability to throw downfield. Fourth, he has a great QB coach. Ponce has done a great job with his QBs and may be hard to keep here. Fifth...did I mention that he’s a QB and not a wide receiver?

I think Micale is one of the better QBs in all of the nation. It’s a no contest, a knockout between the 2 guys. He was their 3rd/4th emergency option at QB.

Now in UKs system currently, Bowden very productive in a different way, but even their dumbest of fans wouldn’t even say Bowden is a better QB. I don’t even think there’s even a debate about this anywhere, I would say they’d trade immediately. I mean put Bowden behind our line and Micale behind their line and I would favor UK by 2 touchdowns.

Now is Bowden an top talent that will go in the top 4 rounds in the draft? Of course. Kid is dynamic. And Bowden doesn’t have to be a better QB than Cunningham to win the game, he has to read his blocks and make the right plays.

Say Micale has 2 passing TDs and a rushing touchdown. 200 yards passing and 50 rushing, but say Bowden has 160 rushing yards and 30 passing yards for only 2 touchdowns and they win 24-21? Bowden did his job because he ate clock and moved the chains. They have different jobs.

I had to laugh when our friend Wildcard on the Lair said that Kentucky had the edge in almost every category even at running back because Bowden is a better runner.

I think he forgot we have a 1000 yard rusher and a highly rated QB. Thanks for showing your true colors.

Reactions: Bank Cat
UKs offense is basically what middle school teams run. Hike it to the QB- he either runs or hands off to a RB with about 5 passes thrown a game.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
The scary part of it is that’s its hard to prepare for like a triple option, but there’s really not a conventional way to watch film on them as they installed this offense half way through the season and they add new wrinkles every week.

The scary part of it is that’s its hard to prepare for like a triple option, but there’s really not a conventional way to watch film on them as they installed this offense half way through the season and they add new wrinkles every week.
Shouldnt be hard to prepare for a one-dimensional defense. Execution is another thing.

I watched the UK/Vandy game and UK did not run a triple option. They ran a spread zone read option. There was a fullback/H Back on some plays but he was used for blocking and was never a potential ball carrier. Again, this is just from the Vandy game.

I see a lot of Louisville fans saying, "just stack 8 in the box" but it's not that simple. Kentucky spreads the field wide with 4Wrs which creates holes in the defense. If the Cards front 7 miss a tackle or get blown off the line of scrimmage; UK will break off huge chunks of yardage. Bowden, Smoke, and Rose all have good moves and will probably make Louisville tacklers look silly at times.

I had to laugh when our friend Wildcard on the Lair said that Kentucky had the edge in almost every category even at running back because Bowden is a better runner.

I think he forgot we have a 1000 yard rusher and a highly rated QB. Thanks for showing your true colors.

The desire to retain posting rights on their board is strong for some.

I watched the UK/Vandy game and UK did not run a triple option. They ran a spread zone read option. There was a fullback/H Back on some plays but he was used for blocking and was never a potential ball carrier. Again, this is just from the Vandy game.

I see a lot of Louisville fans saying, "just stack 8 in the box" but it's not that simple. Kentucky spreads the field wide with 4Wrs which creates holes in the defense. If the Cards front 7 miss a tackle or get blown off the line of scrimmage; UK will break off huge chunks of yardage. Bowden, Smoke, and Rose all have good moves and will probably make Louisville tacklers look silly at times.
I noticed this as well. UK splits two receivers very wide on each side. This does two things. First, you are now playing 7 on 7 football and this makes it easier for their runners to bounce outside for larger gains. Second, it removes the safety blitz as your safties are now too wide to blitz. This formation bothers me more than anything else they do and I expect to see a lot of it tomorrow. I really don’t know how you counter this without leaving a receiver or two completely uncovered.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Lol.....your team has the better quarterback, Kentucky has the better athlete...who has also shown to be quite a leader.
Edge cards.
Wr....cards by much, much
Rb.....cats my a lot
O-line....Cats
D_line....Cats
Secondary....push. cards secondary is hurt by lack of pass rush.
Cats have the lines, Cards have the speed.

Lol.....your team has the better quarterback, Kentucky has the better athlete...who has also shown to be quite a leader.
Edge cards.
Rb.....cats my a lot
O-line....Cats
D_line....Cats
Don’t sell UofL backs short.

Edge cards.
Rb.....cats my a lot
O-line....Cats
D_line....Cats

Bowden is far from being a better athlete than Cunningham, and our better athlete can actually pass the ball.

I noticed this as well. UK splits two receivers very wide on each side. This does two things. First, you are now playing 7 on 7 football and this makes it easier for their runners to bounce outside for larger gains. Second, it removes the safety blitz as your safties are now too wide to blitz. This formation bothers me more than anything else they do and I expect to see a lot of it tomorrow. I really don’t know how you counter this without leaving a receiver or two completely uncovered.

I wonder if playing zone in the secondary to free up the SS would be a good idea? We have zero reason to respect any facet of their passing game.

Biggest problem for the Cards is the UK O line vs the UofL D line. This is pretty obvious. Will be interesting to see if UofL can figure out a way to make plays up front. All it takes is a couple big plays to impact a game up front.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
This discussion is unfair to the Cards today ...... Bowden Jr, Rose and Rodriquez are playing against a very challenged UL defense; on the other hand MC, Hawkins, Hall and TuTu are playing against a more formidable college defense.

UK fans should enjoy this point in time; as CSS is going to attract a level of recruits on the defensive side that will shore up what he inherited on that side of the football.

Reactions: Drewmagnum

You nailed it.

Reactions: OlhamCardinal
I pose this question to see what the Cayut fans think but I also pose it like a lawyer, I know the answer before I ask the question.
So, the question is, if you could chose one of these two to be your quarterback which would it be?
I have my hand up first.
CUNNINGHAM!!!! First, he’s a quarterback not a wide receiver. He knows how to read defenses and know where the pressure is coming from. Also, he is in tune with his O-line and his receivers. Second, he runs as well as Bowden and I would say he runs better. He’s faster. Third, he can throw. Passer rating is off the charts and has shown the ability to throw downfield. Fourth, he has a great QB coach. Ponce has done a great job with his QBs and may be hard to keep here. Fifth...did I mention that he’s a QB and not a wide receiver?
I’m not sure if any UK fan in the right mind would argue that. Bowden is a great athlete but not a quarterback. He did a great job with his role as “quarterback” but earned 1st team All American as an All Purpose Player. He also won the Paul Hornung Award which obviously not for quarterbacks but rather all purpose. UofL has a lot to look forward to in the near future but to try and make this argument is a little absurd.

I’m not sure if any UK fan in the right mind would argue that. Bowden is a great athlete but not a quarterback. He did a great job with his role as “quarterback” but earned 1st team All American as an All Purpose Player. He also won the Paul Hornung Award which obviously not for quarterbacks but rather all purpose. UofL has a lot to look forward to in the near future but to try and make this argument is a little absurd.
He won the Paul award as does most players from this state do if their is a chance for them too. What you call home state discount. Plus UK was still 3-5 in conference that offense done that crap toward the bottom half of their schedule which had the teams with the worst defenses to include us.

He won the Paul award as does most players from this state do if their is a chance for them too. What you call home state discount. Plus UK was still 3-5 in conference that offense done that crap toward the bottom half of their schedule which had the teams with the worst defenses to include us.
You may want to check those facts. Lynn Bowden is the first player from a college in Kentucky to win it. Only one Kentuckian has won it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT