ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Playoff

Thecycle27

2500+
Sep 17, 2017
College football is going to have to expand the playoffs. The current system is no longer sustainable. The gap between the 6 top teams is getting wider every year. The regular season argument doesn’t hold water any more....how many times do we need to see Clemson-Alabama taking up 2 spots?

Expand the playoffs to 16 teams and maybe 32. Each round could have a title sponsor.

This admittedly is looking through a Louisville lens. The majority of coaches that left wanted a better shot at winning a title. The majority of players want a shot at a national title. The exclusive nature of the previous and current playoff system limits programs like Louisville. No way to sustain. The only reason Stoops is still at UK is because he hasn’t been able to maintain success. Allen at Indiana if he follows up this year with another good year he is gone.

The bowl games are equivalent to a dog sitting around the dinner table waiting for the scraps. The dog will always come back but he will never have a seat at the table. They were created to make everyone feel better at the end of the year. Greed is the only reason everyone in P5 has agreed to this current system.

A true playoff system would at least tilt the playing field. I am not naive enough to believe the top 10 would change however I do believe the gap would be smaller.

Reactions: vivid_red
True.

It would give more teams “a shot”, but I don’t know if it helps us, or Cincy, WF, Purdue, Arizona, etc keep their coach from the “traditionals” if they call. Just better recruiting grounds.

It would definitely generate more interest nationally.

8 max. 16 to 32 is over kill.
Depends-include the G5 or not? If they are in, then you go to 16, because if all of FBS is one level then you have to treat all conferences the same. 10 conference champs, seeded according to objective criteria known to all before the season starts. I like total wins, wins against FBS teams, number of opponents wins, coin flip as procedure to break ties. 6 at large teams are non-conference champs seeded the same way. Whatever system is used, committees, eye tests, resumes, opinions must be out, and objective criteria in. Also should have lower seed at higher seed until the college super bowl. Can you imagine how incredible that would be? If it’s 05 only, then 8 will do- same set up AFAIC.

College football is going to have to expand the playoffs. The current system is no longer sustainable. The gap between the 6 top teams is getting wider every year. The regular season argument doesn’t hold water any more....how many times do we need to see Clemson-Alabama taking up 2 spots?

Expand the playoffs to 16 teams and maybe 32. Each round could have a title sponsor.

This admittedly is looking through a Louisville lens. The majority of coaches that left wanted a better shot at winning a title. The majority of players want a shot at a national title. The exclusive nature of the previous and current playoff system limits programs like Louisville. No way to sustain. The only reason Stoops is still at UK is because he hasn’t been able to maintain success. Allen at Indiana if he follows up this year with another good year he is gone.

The bowl games are equivalent to a dog sitting around the dinner table waiting for the scraps. The dog will always come back but he will never have a seat at the table. They were created to make everyone feel better at the end of the year. Greed is the only reason everyone in P5 has agreed to this current system.

A true playoff system would at least tilt the playing field. I am not naive enough to believe the top 10 would change however I do believe the gap would be smaller.
So instead of 2 SEC schools always in the conversation, you want 3-4, plus 3-4 Big 10, 1-2 Big 12, 1 PAC 10 and maybe 2 ACC schools?

5 power conference champions.
2 at large.

Then have the top 4 G5 teams play a 2 week playoff for a spot. (Or highest rated). They could have their own national title, and have their games still relevant.

Let the Group of 5 start their season 2 weeks sooner that the Power 5 so they can get it done early.

It makes everyone feel involved. It’s make the conference titles matter. It makes more games matter.

So instead of 2 SEC schools always in the conversation, you want 3-4, plus 3-4 Big 10, 1-2 Big 12, 1 PAC 10 and maybe 2 ACC schools?
In a 16 team play off take top 2 teams from each P5 conference. Then 6 at large teams but 4 of which will be non power 5 if they meet specific criteria. When they don’t the power 5 fill the rest again meeting specific criteria i.e no more than 2 losses.

Go back to the Sugar Bowl team that year both UCF and Louisville would be in the playoff. They both would of been a problem in that format.

5 power conference champions.
2 at large.

Then have the top 4 G5 teams play a 2 week playoff for a spot. (Or highest rated). They could have their own national title, and have their games still relevant.

Let the Group of 5 start their season 2 weeks sooner that the Power 5 so they can get it done early.

It makes everyone feel involved. It’s make the conference titles matter. It makes more games matter.
The problem with this approach is if you are including the G5 conferences, you have to treat them equally. If you don’t then you are essentially consigning them to a lower division. If they are, let them have their own playoff. If they aren’t, then their champs are the same as P5 champs and get an auto bid.

I don’t get including the G5 but making them jump through all sorts of hoops. If it’s one title, all the aspirants must be judged the same. That is, the MAC champ gets an auto bid just like the B1G champ does. If the G5 really is unworthy of equal standing, then separate them and let them have their own playoff.

Reactions: Mayoman
The problem with this approach is if you are including the G5 conferences, you have to treat them equally. If you don’t then you are essentially consigning them to a lower division. If they are, let them have their own playoff. If they aren’t, then their champs are the same as P5 champs and get an auto bid.
Here's my reasoning.

1. It keeps them in the FBS.
2. It gives more incentive to get the #1 Seed to play that team
3. It makes it where you can go undefeated & have a chance to play for the title
4. It adds more FUN & the underdog element to CFB. It gives hope and attention to places like Coastal Carolina & Liberty. We were an underdog program at one time.

I don't forget where we were not that long ago. In 2013, that UCF game could've been for a playoff berth for us.
And besides, it's not like the weaker G5 ones will sneak in, it'll be the Boise State & Cincy type programs.

Here's my reasoning.

1. It keeps them in the FBS.
2. It gives more incentive to get the #1 Seed to play that team
3. It makes it where you can go undefeated & have a chance to play for the title
4. It adds more FUN & the underdog element to CFB. It gives hope and attention to places like Coastal Carolina & Liberty. We were an underdog program at one time.

I don't forget where we were not that long ago. In 2013, that UCF game could've been for a playoff berth for us.
And besides, it's not like the weaker G5 ones will sneak in, it'll be the Boise State & Cincy type programs.
That’s fine with me - I like all your reasons, I just think then the G5 champs all get auto bids just like the P5 champs, and the 6 at large (Field of 16) include the G5 teams assessed on an equal basis. My biggest issue with the current system is the opinion- based nature of the selection process. Why have a committee when you can have objective criteria? Does the NFL have a playoff “committee”?

The teams in the championship game are already playing 15 game schedules (assuming they were in their conference championship game). How many games do we realistically expect college kids to play if player safety is at all a concern? Good luck getting the 12th games against patsies off everyone's schedules. I'm all for taking 1 or 2 games off the regular season schedule but not many AD's would be for it.

The regular season is already the pre playoff to the FF CFP The best 4 of the 5, P5 Champions or if one/two conferences has a really weak Champion, the undefeated best G5 champ gets consideration.

The way I see, if you can not win your own conference championship you have no business competing for the NC game in the FF. You already eliminated yourself by performance - failing to be the conference champ. Watering down the value of being a conference champ is BS to me.

In summary, champs advance to FF and everybody else is an also ran...go to a bowl or stay home and get better to be the champ.

Pretty much what we have experienced so far to date with the way CFP is set up now. The bowl games outside of the FF Playoff are the reward for a pretty good but not great champion level season for all the wannabe NC's.

I am in favor of the G5 leagues having their own CFP system playoff. That way only one of the P5 champs will get stiffed from making the NCP tourney....the the G5 leagues have something to play for too. Win-win for all the leagues IMO.

Thoughts?

The regular season is already the pre playoff to the FF CFP The best 4 of the 5, P5 Champions or if one/two conferences has a really weak Champion, the undefeated best G5 champ gets consideration.

The way I see, if you can not win your own conference championship you have no business competing for the NC game in the FF. You already eliminated yourself by performance - failing to be the conference champ. Watering down the value of being a conference champ is BS to me.

In summary, champs advance to FF and everybody else is an also ran...go to a bowl or stay home and get better to be the champ.

Pretty much what we have experienced so far to date with the way CFP is set up now. The bowl games outside of the FF Playoff are the reward for a pretty good but not great champion level season for all the wannabe NC's.

I am in favor of the G5 leagues having their own CFP system playoff. That way only one of the P5 champs will get stiffed from making the NCP tourney....the the G5 leagues have something to play for too. Win-win for all the leagues IMO.

Thoughts?
So no wildcards in the NFL playoffs? I guess you are saying that the Washington Football Team (6-7) is more deserving than either Seattle or the Rams (9-4) in the NFL?

So no wildcards in the NFL playoffs? I guess you are saying that the Washington Football Team (6-7) is more deserving than either Seattle or the Rams (9-4) in the NFL?

No, I am not talking about the pros at all. And their whole system is much watered down compared to what it use to be. That is one reason that I stopped watching the NFL years ago. Don't like thier system.

And I don't want college to go that route. If/when they do....I will likely stop watching them too. Rewarding mediocrity is BS...I believe in the merit system of the best playing the best in college period. Champions vs also rans. Give me the Champs.

Thoughts?
I always look at things from "How does it effect UofL?"

Go back to 2016 when we were a 1 loss team & say we finished off Houston and sUcKs. How mad would we have been knowing that we would've had no chance to make the playoffs after the Clemson loss?

“The Washington Football Team” is the dumbest moniker ever.

And that goes right along with their (NFL) “participation trophy” playoff system. .500 or even losing records in the “playoff”?

PC....💩

Thoughts?
See my posts above. I’m fine with G5 championship (they would scream bloody murder) and I agree with champs getting auto bids, because they WON something. In your scenario I would want 3 at-large births. Again, the main thing to me is how you seed the champs and select and seed at-large teams. Bottom line- no “committees”.

See my posts above. I’m fine with G5 championship (they would scream bloody murder) and I agree with champs getting auto bids, because they WON something. In your scenario I would want 3 at-large births. Again, the main thing to me is how you seed the champs and select and seed at-large teams. Bottom line- no “committees”.

I could live with that...but I would see it as a watered down playoff and I would not like it much. Why?, because I could just see the SEC/B10 teams get those 3 at large bids in some form, shape or fashion and freeze out the G5 and other P5 champ already left out be left out again. And a case might be made that they should be anyway as the weakest sister league of the P5...so it goes, tough noogies....win your league then.

That is why I like just having the best 4 conference champs make up the FF. If push came to shove...I would accept a Top 6 system with the left out P5 league champ and the best G5 champ playing off to get into the T4. Winner of that game plays the lowest seed #4 to decide who advances on to the FF. That might add some drama and upset a lot more folks than the current system already does. What fun that would be. o_O

A team that currently has little to no chance of getting in plays its way in. Too simple I know. But that way the T6 teams get a chance vs only T4; 7 & 8 and higher get a bowl game as their reward for a good/great season for them but no playoff.

The likelihood of having 6 unbeaten teams is not very high....but if there were 7 or 8 of them than that year may present as good as any year of having an 8 team playoff. I don't see that happening...do any of you?

I always look at things from "How does it effect UofL?"

Go back to 2016 when we were a 1 loss team & say we finished off Houston and sUcKs. How mad would we have been knowing that we would've had no chance to make the playoffs after the Clemson loss?

Doesn't matter how mad I would have been....BL, the loss knocked you out...win and you get to go. As long as the other teams in the FF were/are conference champs, they deserved to go and you don't. Again, tough noogies. The rules and criteria are set and committees are not deciding who gets to go or not. Win the league and advance lose and go to a bowl game, etc.

A 12-14 team playoff is easy. Eliminate conference championships. That gets you to 10 team playoff very easily. Give 2-4 spots to the Boise, Cincy, BYU and Coastal. Those spots could be determined by the committee.

Alabama vs Coastal
Norte Dame vs Northwestern
Clemson vs Oklahoma
Ohio State vs USC
Iowa State vs Texas AM
BYU vs Indiana (highest ranked teams with 0-1 loss).
You could get to 14 or even 16 by giving the top 2 seeds a bye.

Tell me that isn’t better than what we have this weekend.

I could live with that...but I would see it as a watered down playoff and I would not like it much. Why?, because I could just see the SEC/B10 teams get those 3 at large bids in some form, shape or fashion and freeze out the G5 and other P5 champ already left out be left out again. And a case might be made that they should be anyway as the weakest sister league of the P5...so it goes, tough noogies....win your league then.

That is why I like just having the best 4 conference champs make up the FF. If push came to shove...I would accept a Top 6 system with the left out P5 league champ and the best G5 champ playing off to get into the T4. Winner of that game plays the lowest seed #4 to decide who advances on to the FF. That might add some drama and upset a lot more folks than the current system already does. What fun that would be. o_O

A team that currently has little to no chance of getting in plays its way in. Too simple I know. But that way the T6 teams get a chance vs only T4; 7 & 8 and higher get a bowl game as their reward for a good/great season for them but no playoff.

The likelihood of having 6 unbeaten teams is not very high....but if there were 7 or 8 of them than that year may present as good as any year of having an 8 team playoff. I don't see that happening...do any of you?

Well, in my scenario, all conference champs get in, so no one would be frozen out. The at large spots are based on objective criteria (wins!) not in opinions, so $EC and B1G don’t get preferential treatment.

A 12-14 team playoff is easy. Eliminate conference championships. That gets you to 10 team playoff very easily. Give 2-4 spots to the Boise, Cincy, BYU and Coastal. Those spots could be determined by the committee.

Alabama vs Coastal
Clemson vs Oklahoma
Ohio State vs USC
Iowa State vs Texas AM

Its not better because you have 4 B10 teams and 2 SEC teams from the same division...so IMO it is a watered down playoff with some undeserving teams in. No way does the B10 play this year warrant 4 teams in and BYU already lost to Coastal Carolina eliminating them from consideration. Only the winner of the ND CU playoff game earns their way in...not both of them. OK and Iowa State both.....from thi,s this year weak B12... Wow Nellie, say it ain't so. Watered down I tell ya!!!

Its not better because you have 4 B10 teams and 2 SEC teams from the same division...so IMO it is a watered down playoff with some undeserving teams in. No way does the B10 play this year warrant 4 teams in and BYU already lost to Coastal Carolina eliminating them from consideration. Only the winner of the ND CU playoff game earns their way in...not both of them. OK and Iowa State both.....from thi,s this year weak B12... Wow Nellie, say it ain't so. Watered down I tell ya!!!
More opinions.

I am all for expanding the playoffs but the teams that make it should be based on strength of schedule. This is college football and we don’t need to push the everybody gets a trophy mentality.

I am all for expanding the playoffs but the teams that make it should be based on strength of schedule. This is college football and we don’t need to push the everybody gets a trophy mentality.
It not about giving everyone a trophy. It is about giving more teams a chance to compete. There are 122 D1 teams. The current system limits access to the same 10 teams each year. The entire system protects those 10 teams. This will never change until a more inclusive playoff system is built. It really won’t be hard. The hard part is the TV money. They don’t want it and I get it.

The idiots in the Big East went for the money. They ending crippling their football programs. Their programs had access to the playoffs by going to the Big Ten and ACC look what those programs have done since. Look at the Basketball programs since leaving. Financially it was good but they are pouring those extra resources into their programs and producing worst results. The current BCS is similar everyone is throwing all the money at a goal that is not achievable. That is not sustainable.

It not about giving everyone a trophy. It is about giving more teams a chance to compete. There are 122 D1 teams. The current system limits access to the same 10 teams each year. The entire system protects those 10 teams. This will never change until a more inclusive playoff system is built. It really won’t be hard. The hard part is the TV money. They don’t want it and I get it.

The idiots in the Big East went for the money. They ending crippling their football programs. Their programs had access to the playoffs by going to the Big Ten and ACC look what those programs have done since. Look at the Basketball programs since leaving. Financially it was good but they are pouring those extra resources into their programs and producing worst results. The current BCS is similar everyone is throwing all the money at a goal that is not achievable. That is not sustainable.
I agree as far as “having a chance” to make the PO

But let’s face it, other ten teams are very likely going to win it. Those “same ten teams” will still get the majority of the 4-5 star talent.

Until the recruiting changes the rich will get richer.

Cut scholarships. 75 or even 70 total, 20 a year max, for FBS/P5. That would send 50 kids a year somewhere other than those same ten. It wouldn’t keep any kid from playing ball and getting an education.

It would just be “trickle down” recruiting. It will make everybody other than those same ten better. All the way down to D3.

But this won’t happen because the powers that be want to remain the powers that be.

I am all for expanding the playoffs but the teams that make it in the playoff should be there because they are good. Inviting teams just because they have a good record against weak competition is not fair. Cincinnati is 8-0 but they haven’t played anybody in the top 25. Half of the teams they play are absolutely awful.

I don’t care if all the teams come from 3 conferences as long as they are the best teams. In order to invite teams from the AAC or CUSA you would end up with more than 16 teams.

I am all for reducing scholarships but if it happens I don’t think it would help the FBS schools. I think it would help the P5 schools who are at the bottom of P5 conferences.

Alabama vs Coastal
Clemson vs Oklahoma
Ohio State vs USC
Iowa State vs Texas AM

Food for thought and further discussion.

Here is this years 8 team playoff that narrows down to the CFF:

Northwestern vs Ohio State

Notre Dame vs Clemson

Alabama vs Florida

Iowa State vs Oklahoma

One could argue that they are not the best 8 teams in the country either.

However, there is an opportunity for 3 new teams (UF, I St, and Northwestern) to become league champs and advance to the FF....for the first time in how long? Interesting to watch how this plays out.

Those on the outside looking in are Cinn, TxA&M, Coastal Carolina, BYU, and Oregon. One could argue that they are, or are not deserving of inclusion.

A G5 FF could be this:

BYU vs Cinn

Coastal Carolina vs Louisiana

So what value would any of those 4 teams provide to the 8 team playoff looking at their SoS other than it waters it down to the 12 best maybe?

Opinions will vary....it could be fun to watch how that G5 FF would turn out and they could have their own champion and make the regular season important again for more leagues and their teams.

This is all my speculation and you have yours. That is what makes being a fan so much fun. Enjoy today being one of the great days to be a CFB fan of the crazy 2020 season. Cheers fellow Card fans.

Last edited:
I am all for reducing scholarships but if it happens I don’t think it would help the FBS schools. I think it would help the P5 schools who are at the bottom of P5 conferences.
Good question, but it would have to filter down wouldn’t it?

65 P5 schools now can sign 25 a year, (as long as they don’t top 85 total) so let’s use 25. That’s 1625 players a year going to the “top” level.

Cut them to 20 a year and now it’s 1300 players.

Those other 325 have to go somewhere. 325 players who would be at P5 school at the current rate will now have to go to FBS.

Same would apply to the FBS. Kids they normally would take will now have to look at D2...or walk on at their “dream schooand down it goes.

Now that I’ve said that, this could possibly open the door for walk on’s. Teams would be looking to fill that talent “gap” any way they can.

Like I said, this will never happen because the “rich” are entrenched.

But if it doesn’t the same 8-15 schools will be NC every year.

I am all for expanding the playoffs but the teams that make it in the playoff should be there because they are good. Inviting teams just because they have a good record against weak competition is not fair. Cincinnati is 8-0 but they haven’t played anybody in the top 25. Half of the teams they play are absolutely awful.

I don’t care if all the teams come from 3 conferences as long as they are the best teams. In order to invite teams from the AAC or CUSA you would end up with more than 16 teams.

Texas A&M and Cincy have the same number of wins over top 25 teams

Good question, but it would have to filter down wouldn’t it?

65 P5 schools now can sign 25 a year, (as long as they don’t top 85 total) so let’s use 25. That’s 1625 players a year going to the “top” level.

Cut them to 20 a year and now it’s 1300 players.

Those other 325 have to go somewhere. 325 players who would be at P5 school at the current rate will now have to go to FBS.

Same would apply to the FBS. Kids they normally would take will now have to look at D2...or walk on at their “dream schooand down it goes.

Now that I’ve said that, this could possibly open the door for walk on’s. Teams would be looking to fill that talent “gap” any way they can.

Like I said, this will never happen because the “rich” are entrenched.

But if it doesn’t the same 8-15 schools will be NC every year.
This is the next step after the playoffs are restructured. It may become necessary for many schools if attendance keeps declining. Who knows when fans will be allowed back. New strains will come and go.

I think taking the top 2 teams in each power 5 makes the most sense. Plus 2-4 from the G-5. Then seed them. It eliminates the guessing game. Let the conferences decide how they determine their top 2. Keep in mind Notre Dame will go back to being independent. I could see a scenario where Texas goes independent because of the own TV network.

It will go to 8 first.

This is the next step after the playoffs are restructured. It may become necessary for many schools if attendance keeps declining. Who knows when fans will be allowed back. New strains will come and go.

I think taking the top 2 teams in each power 5 makes the most sense. Plus 2-4 from the G-5. Then seed them. It eliminates the guessing game. Let the conferences decide how they determine their top 2. Keep in mind Notre Dame will go back to being independent. I could see a scenario where Texas goes independent because of the own TV network.

It will go to 8 first.
This may work. Telling kids they can “have a chance” to make the PO.

But....that’s still not going to keep Alabama and Clemson types from getting most of the top 250. The name on the shirt will still matter.

Alabama, Clemson and OSU have a total of ten (10) 3 star recruits. The rest are 4 and 5. (Ironically CU only has 18 commits and one 5 star and three 3’s. That’s fourteen four stars)

But if they can’t sign 25, they will have to get very picky, and some of that near 4 star talent will have to go elsewhere. And after 2-4 years there likely will be 4 stars left out of the top 10.

Throw in the “chance” to make the PO and it would help spread the wealth.

Again, just talk. But it sounds good. :p

Depends-include the G5 or not? If they are in, then you go to 16, because if all of FBS is one level then you have to treat all conferences the same. 10 conference champs, seeded according to objective criteria known to all before the season starts. I like total wins, wins against FBS teams, number of opponents wins, coin flip as procedure to break ties. 6 at large teams are non-conference champs seeded the same way. Whatever system is used, committees, eye tests, resumes, opinions must be out, and objective criteria in. Also should have lower seed at higher seed until the college super bowl. Can you imagine how incredible that would be? If it’s 05 only, then 8 will do- same set up AFAIC.
Simple. The P5 gets an automatic bid for each conference champion and three at large for the Cincy’s of the world or additional P5’s

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT