ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball coaches want to get rid of the ACT and SAT.

So college players want to get paid to play. They might get more then ask for. Maybe colleges should get rid of sports all together. Then those sports can form there own leagues.... such as the NBA did for the G league.

I agree if they want everything for free with no risk and then get paid they should just quit college sports and form their own league.

The article is actually an insult to minorities by insinuating that academic requirements are institutional racism. By saying that they are saying only black people can’t make the grade, go figure but what do you expect from liberals.

The article is actually an insult to minorities by insinuating that academic requirements are institutional racism. By saying that they are saying only black people can’t make the grade, go figure but what do you expect from liberals.
First of all - nowhere in the article did it say “only black people can’t make the grade”. It did point out - as concluded by study after study - that the use of standardized testing as a college entrance prerequisite, does negatively affect lower income students of all races. Beyond that, how you perform in a school cafeteria at 8AM on a Saturday is really a poor predictor of whether or not you can successfully navigate college courses.

That’s why athletics notwithstanding, colleges across the country are making the admission process “test optional”. Both the SAT and ACT will be completely gone as a requirement in less than 5 years.

If the article is stating current standards are racist how would it be about all races? It really doesn’t matter anymore they have done a great job of dumbing down high school kids why not continue it with college kids.

Colleges are institutions of higher learning, not a springboard for a professional athlete. An athletic career is what on average (probably less than 10 years). In return we as fans are supposed to ensure they don’t need another profession once they can’t play anymore.

Maybe I'm cynical. This looks to be nothing more than an easier way to get better ball players in programs that otherwise wouldn't be allowed to attend certain universities. I'm on board with it. I'm not sure how the ACT and SAT are part of systemic racism, but people well versed on the topic know more about it than I. All I know is I wish I didn't have to take the ACT back in my day. I hated that GD test.

The SAT and ACT and most other higher level standardized tests have become big business for test prep. The kids who can afford the prep classes have a decided advantage over those that don’t. They aren’t great predictors of academic success.

Hmmmm I don’t find this anything but an attempt by coaches to make it easier to get kids into school and to disband all rules affecting same. I guess you can blame liberals if you want, but only if all coaches are liberals, and I seriously doubt that, i.e., Tommy Tuberville. The ACT and SAT are not racist, they are test that actually measure the HS circriculum’s quality. If, big IF, there is any racism involved it’s because educators at the HS level are not in tune with making sure that all of their students have an equal opportunity. I’d say all races have those that get left out because they simply don’t make the effort or have the “at home” support that lends itself to academic success. But it all is what it is.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

The SAT and ACT and most other higher level standardized tests have become big business for test prep. The kids who can afford the prep classes have a decided advantage over those that don’t. They aren’t great predictors of academic success.
Link

If these test are so flawed because of cultural differences how come the Asians and the Pacific Islanders do so well on them?

First of all - nowhere in the article did it say “only black people can’t make the grade”. It did point out - as concluded by study after study - that the use of standardized testing as a college entrance prerequisite, does negatively affect lower income students of all races. Beyond that, how you perform in a school cafeteria at 8AM on a Saturday is really a poor predictor of whether or not you can successfully navigate college courses.

That’s why athletics notwithstanding, colleges across the country are making the admission process “test optional”. Both the SAT and ACT will be completely gone as a requirement in less than 5 years.

All of what you say is true, which is why the standard required to enter college on an athletic scholarship is extremely low, and also why you can take it over and over again until you finally meet the requirement. Additionally, while you can take it repeatedly, you only have to meet it once to qualify and you’re done.

I have long been of the opinion that, if you can’t meet that standard, you either aren’t trying, or you have some kind of learning disorder that has gone undiagnosed and needs to be addressed.

Reactions: gocds
It’s funny how my last post was scrubbed from the board I guess it didn’t meet the narrative. I posted that even the Latino community has higher test scores than than the black community. The Latino community is poor and a lot of them can’t even speak English. If you disagree with this debate don’t remove it.

It’s funny how my last post was scrubbed from the board I guess it didn’t meet the narrative. I posted that even the Latino community has higher test scores than than the black community. The Latino community is poor and a lot of them can’t even speak English. If you disagree with this debate don’t remove it.
Because someone doesn’t speak English, it doesn’t make them less intelligent. There’s a lot of people who speak English who are not intelligent.

I never said not speaking English makes someone less intelligent. The thread started off by saying black Americans were at a disadvantage on these test because of cultural bias. I pointed out that people from different cultures had better test scores than black Americans even the ones who couldn’t speak English. So I don’t think low test scores in the black community is because of cultural bias.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
ADVERTISEMENT