ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Bentley

I like getting kids from around the state as well, they have turned out well for us on and off the field.

Why is that SC? I thought kids that are from anywhere but Louisville, in the state of Kentucky, all play inferior competition and are all overrated? Weird.
Why is that SC? I thought kids that are from anywhere but Louisville, in the state of Kentucky, all play inferior competition and are all overrated? Weird.
I thought all kids out in the state were "locks" for Kentucky. Nice to see not all are brainwashed by the local pressure.

Reactions: American Male
I thought all kids out in the state were "locks" for Kentucky. Nice to see not all are brainwashed by the local pressure.
We haven't offered Bentley and won't. It isn't because he's not worthy of an offer because I think he is but we are taking a small class this year and the coaches have decided not to use a scholarship on an interior OL. We will take 2 more tackles but no guards or centers

Most kids from out in the state do play inferior talent. Not a bash, just a fact.

uk has gotten many more in state kids than UL. How many KYHS stars became all that at uk? Wait. Thats not a fair question since it's hard to be "all that" on 4-7, 5-6, or 6-5 teams.

So...how many state (not from Jefferson Co.) kids from uk have made it in the NFL? They can find talent anywhere. Even uk.

I can say I don't know because I don't spend a minute worrying about uk players. Maybe it's a lot, but I'd bet against it. I'd also think it's a good bet that Jefferson County has put more in the NFL than the rest of the state combined.

I'd look it up, but don't care enough.

Keenan Burton, Corey Peters, Michael Bush, Mario Urruita, Jamon Brown etc...etc were all Jefferson County HS players that played in the NFL..out in the state have no idea but seriously doubt it equals Jefferson County...

Most kids from out in the state do play inferior talent. Not a bash, just a fact.

uk has gotten many more in state kids than UL. How many KYHS stars became all that at uk? Wait. Thats not a fair question since it's hard to be "all that" on 4-7, 5-6, or 6-5 teams.

So...how many state (not from Jefferson Co.) kids from uk have made it in the NFL? They can find talent anywhere. Even uk.

I can say I don't know because I don't spend a minute worrying about uk players. Maybe it's a lot, but I'd bet against it. I'd also think it's a good bet that Jefferson County has put more in the NFL than the rest of the state combined.

I'd look it up, but don't care enough.
Just for shiz and gigs, I looked it up... Since 1950 - 59 from Louisville, 101 from the rest of the state...

Not a Good Bet...

Just for shiz and gigs, I looked it up... Since 1950 - 59 from Louisville, 101 from the rest of the state...

Not a Good Bet...

That list includes players from LONG before 1950. The only way I discovered that is seeing the name below listed, who is apparently credited with playing for the Evansville Crimson Giants...in 1921 and 1922. Being a Brandenburg resident, his name and high school caught my eye, although I had never previously heard of him.

Bourbon Bondurant

Bourbon Patch Bondurant
Position:
T-E
Height: 6-1 Weight: 202 lbs.

Born: February 18, 1898 in Brandenburg, KY
Died: September 4, 1971 in Scottsdale, AZ (Aged 73.198)
High School: Meade Co.
College: DePauw

That list includes players from LONG before 1950. The only way I discovered that is seeing the name below listed, who is apparently credited with playing for the Evansville Crimson Giants...in 1921 and 1922. Being a Brandenburg resident, his name and high school caught my eye, although I had never previously heard of him.

Bourbon Bondurant

Bourbon Patch Bondurant
Position:
T-E
Height: 6-1 Weight: 202 lbs.

Born: February 18, 1898 in Brandenburg, KY
Died: September 4, 1971 in Scottsdale, AZ (Aged 73.198)
High School: Meade Co.
College: DePauw

I filtered out any dates before 1950... The unedited list is - Louisville 86, Rest of State 153

And, since 1970, Louisville 49, Rest of State 85

Last edited:
You're right. I'd have lost the bet, because I'd have made a sucker bet for not thinking it through.

Through the years Jeff Co has avg'd about 35 FB playing schools, leaving 190 for the rest of the state. (Per Max Preps Ky has 225 FB playing schools today)

Since 1970 Jefferson Co has had 2.45 kids per school (using the 35 number).

The rest of the state has had .805 per school.

Pretty good disparity in talent there.

Didn't answer my question... And, I asked first. :cool:
To answer your question, I never made a statement about the worth of in-state kids. You were the one who assumed every Louisville fan thinks alike.

As a former football coach here in Jefferson Co. I've seen kids as freshmen who I thought would never have a chance of being successful players become very good and I've also witnessed the opposite.

To answer your question, I never made a statement about the worth of in-state kids. You were the one who assumed every Louisville fan thinks alike.

As a former football coach here in Jefferson Co. I've seen kids as freshmen who I thought would never have a chance of being successful players become very good and I've also witnessed the opposite.
I'll concede that. I was putting the words of your brethren in your mouth.

I filtered out any dates before 1950... The unedited list is - Louisville 86, Rest of State 153

And, since 1970, Louisville 49, Rest of State 85

That STILL means that ONE Kentucky County...Jefferson...Has produced 86 NFL Players in 65 years...WHILE the other 119 Kentucky Counties have produced 153 NFL Players in 65 years...Now..Do The Math!!!

:cool:

Reactions: Rollem Cards
As with most things, it's about context. Just saying U of L offered a Kentucky kid is not sufficient.

LPT offers a lot of high-rated Kentucky kids that get over-hyped. Most are the stars of their respective recruiting classes. That's a key difference. This Bentley kid would be coming into U of L unheralded and minus the hype and expectations. And perhaps also missing other freshmen teammates from out in the State.

Truth be told, the occasional Kentucky kid that comes into U of L with that level of hype often has issues. Witness James Quick. While Reggie Bonnafon is a great kid, most of his U of L story is yet to be written. But U of L brings in predominantly kids from outside Kentucky esp. marquee players. U of L doesn't put much of its stock in 4- and 5-star Kentucky kids who play weak competiton.

LPT Football: But our idiot fans are obsessed with recruiting...

Reactions: Mayoman
That STILL means that ONE Kentucky County...Jefferson...Has produced 86 NFL Players in 65 years...WHILE the other 119 Kentucky Counties have produced 153 NFL Players in 65 years...Now..Do The Math!!!

:cool:
That wasn't the question. Re-read the thread. In question was the number of NFL players from Louisville vs the Rest of the state, and that Louisville had more than the REST of the state - raw numbers. It was NOT about percentage per county. If that were the case, it would make sense given Louisville is the largest metro area in the state. I'm sure the same result would be found for any large metro area vs the rest of the state in every other state with only 1 midsize to large city.

Last edited:
That wasn't the question. Re-read the thread. In questions was the number of NFL players from Louisville vs the Rest of the state, and that Louisville had more than the REST of the state - raw numbers. It was NOT about percentage per county. If that were the case, it would make sense given Louisville is the largest metro area in the state. I'm sure the same result would be found for any large metro area vs the rest of the state in every other state with only 1 midsize to large cities.

Fair enough...now, how bout giving the count for the number of NFL players from each of the state universities. THAT would interest me more. TIA.

U of L doesn't put much of its stock in 4- and 5-star Kentucky kids who play weak competiton.
Thanks for helping me make my point. Many UofL fans feel that kids from outside of Louisville, within the state, play weak competition and are overrated.

Thanks for helping me make my point. Many UofL fans feel that kids from outside of Louisville, within the state, play weak competition and are overrated.
Your point was that U of L is following the same path as LPT. Nothing is further from the truth.

LPT Football: We're like U of L...

Are you denying your comment? If you are then you'd be right, but if you think those kids from out in the state are legit 4 and 5 star guys then you are not smart. Even uahkay coaches admit thru their "recruiting actions" that they'd love to mine the wealth of talent here in Jefferson County but there's one little problem with that: THE University of Louisville is here and the vast majority of the Jefferson County kids WANT to play at PJCS and be educated at UofL because it is the far superior D1 program. It's the same parallel between 4 star kids from southwestern Ohio and 4 star kids from Florida, Georgia and Alabama. Generally there isn't any comparison especially when those kids go to a program that truly coaches them up and helps them become better players. Perhaps you see the problem here with uahkay recruiting AND coaching.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your point was that U of L is following the same path as LPT. Nothing is further from the truth.

LPT Football: We're like U of L...
No, no, no. My point was that when UofL gets a kid from "out in the state", they're worthy of an offer and fans are happy to get them - "I like getting kids from around the state as well, they have turned out well for us on and off the field." (kozmas' words)

However, when UK gets them, they're overrated hilljacks that play subpar competition.

Are you denying your comment? If you are then you'd be right, but if you think those kids from out in the state are legit 4 and 5 star guys then you are not smart. Even uahkay coaches admit thru their "recruiting actions" that they'd love to mine the wealth of talent here in Jefferson County but there's one little problem with that: THE University of Louisville is here and the vast majority of the Jefferson County kids WANT to play at PJCS and be educated at UofL because it is the far superior D1 program. It's the same parallel between 4 star kids from southwestern Ohio and 4 star kids from Florida, Georgia and Alabama. Generally there isn't any comparison especially when those kids go to a program that truly coaches them up and helps them become better players. Perhaps you see the problem here with uahkay recruiting AND coaching.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
Reading comprehension bro... I said, or alluded to, or inferred, nothing of the above. See my response to Zipp, as I don't want to repeat myself.

Reading comprehension bro... I said, or alluded to, or inferred, nothing of the above. See my response to Zipp, as I don't want to repeat myself.
I think the happy medium here is that most Card fans value getting a player from out in the state if he is being recruited but Cat fans over-emphasize how great the player is before he even steps on campus.

I think the happy medium here is that most Card fans value getting a player from out in the state if he is being recruited but Cat fans over-emphasize how great the player is before he even steps on campus.
Possibly... I think this is also an absolute statement that isn't always true. Was it true with Elam? Most definitely! But, some hype was to be expected when you're battling Bama for a recruit, as with Kash Daniel. There are many others that UK gets from in-state that you hear nothing more than a "nice get". And, I agree, the Yahtzee stuff is just silly.

No, no, no. My point was that when UofL gets a kid from "out in the state", they're worthy of an offer and fans are happy to get them - "I like getting kids from around the state as well, they have turned out well for us on and off the field." (kozmas' words)

However, when UK gets them, they're overrated hilljacks that play subpar competition.
One U of L guy doesn't speak for the fanbase anymore than I do. I'm good with getting a kid from rural KY if he can compete. LPT is good with getting them as long as they're rated 4+ stars.

Therein lies a huge difference.

LPT Football: We obsess on recruit ratings too...

Over the years, a lot of the schools out in the state were small A schools with little facilities to develop kids...consolidation is changing that. What is needed out in the state now is a higher level of high school coach and coaching staff.

Don't care where a kid is from or how many stars he has, if Coach Klenakis thinks that he deserves a scholarship then chances are pretty good that the kid can play. His judgment should be trusted. BTW, there's actually another sleeper OL in the bowels of Kentucky right now but UofL has already loaded up on OL this class and doubtful that there will be a scholly left for him. (Which means that UC or WKU will probably get him). There is some quality out there if you know how to find it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT