ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching candidates

I’m pretty sure someone who has run a private equity firm has plenty of experience with contracts. While most employees are at-will, I’d also venture to say he has dealt with plenty of personnel or contract worker contracts.
You're guessing just as much as you imply that I'm guessing.

So lets say he has negotiated a few "personnel or contract" worker contracts. How many of them had Agents? Agents who negotiate contracts for a living vs doing "a few".

Not just to "help out" their clients during times of crisis.

Reactions: zipp
Regarding Venables, I've heard there might be some interest on his part. But, he's got a kid on the roster at Clemson. He may have another one soon, too, I believe. Furthermore, Kansas State is his alma mater. He might be holding out for that gig, which, you know, Snyder is pretty damn old. Perhaps that's why he's passed on other jobs. I'm still on the fence about Brohm. WKU is in the pits right now, and a lot of fingers point to the talent, or lack thereof, that Brohm left behind.

I can dispense with the "contracts" turf war because there's a much easier one to wage with Tyra... The same one the Petrino haters try to make about his assistants...

Who was Tyra engaging for another Power Five AD job before U of L came along? Who has he ever engaged about that type of job? Kinda hard to believe that such a shrewd businessman who can handle just about any contract wasn't in high demand by other schools.

I've asked that question, but I don't recall ever getting any answers. And it would settle a lot of these little turf wars if you can conquer the whole damn country...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
"Dude" I don't pretend to know contracts like Tyra evidently does. Pitino's last contract was 15 pages. There are enforceability issues, standards in that profession, etc. How much experience does Tyra have cosigning multimillion dollar coaching contracts? My guess is no more than I do.

And landing a coach is a lot more than a contract. I just piggybacked on that issue. He's gotta FIND and persuade the guy first...
“Zipp” - my guess is that the university has guidelines regarding its coaching agreements and, attorneys to look over any contracts. Not to mention Tyra has the ability to look over past and present agreements to guide him. Lastly, I would also bet that he’s cultivated at least one or two AD contacts that he could ask advice if necessary. It’s not like he’s starting from scratch.

As for landing a coach - if the focus is on JB - like it was on CM - should be pretty easy to get a deal done. Both parties have big eyes for one another.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I can dispense with the "contracts" turf war because there's a much easier one to wage with Tyra... The same one the Petrino haters try to make about his assistants...

Who was Tyra engaging for another Power Five AD job before U of L came along? Who has he ever engaged about that type of job? Kinda hard to believe that such a shrewd businessman who can handle just about any contract wasn't in high demand by other schools.

I've asked that question, but I don't recall ever getting any answers. And it would settle a lot of these little turf wars if you can conquer the whole damn country...
This is a complete straw man argument and from a “who were we competing with?” is actually more analogous to the one the “Petrino haters” try to make about Petrino’s salary and buyout.

In both situations, the bottom line is that both guys got hired and are in their respective positions, so asking about why it happened is useless. At this particular point, one of them has underperformed to the point that his continued employment doesn’t make sense for UofL - provided THE suitable replacement is secured.

If and when Tyra shows a demonstrated pattern of underperformance, it’ll be time for him to go as well.

This is a complete straw man argument and from a “who were we competing with?” is actually more analogous to the one the “Petrino haters” try to make about Petrino’s salary and buyout.

In both situations, the bottom line is that both guys got hired and are in their respective positions, so asking about why it happened is useless. At this particular point, one of them has underperformed to the point that his continued employment doesn’t make sense for UofL - provided THE suitable replacement is secured.

If and when Tyra shows a demonstrated pattern of underperformance, it’ll be time for him to go as well.
This is a debate about credentials, not competition. Petrino's credentials as football coach were vastly superior to Tyra's as AD. Because Petrino didn't have a list of P5 schools beating down his door had nothing to do with credentials.

Unless Tyra had scandals in his own life, "businessman" must not register much as AD. So the question still goes unanswered...

I'm not sure why other schools would even consider him or look his way. Its not like he was in the business of being an AD. He was a local businessman with strong ties to Louisville. Why would another school randomly look at the city of Louisville and offer their athletic directors job to Vince Tyra?

With Louisville he had connections and partnerships/friendships with Louisville associates from being around Louisville athletics his entire life and thus he began to work with the school and was offered the job. I just don't see a logical argument for "well, why wasn't other schools going after Vince Tyra?"

Regardless of how he got the job, I think we can all agree that he's done a fantastic job since he's been here from the coaches he's hired in various sports to lowering his own salary to a normal level from the ridiculous amount that Jurich was getting paid.

This is a debate about credentials, not competition. Petrino's credentials as football coach were vastly superior to Tyra's as AD. Because Petrino didn't have a list of P5 schools beating down his door had nothing to do with credentials.

Unless Tyra had scandals in his own life, "businessman" must not register much as AD. So the question still goes unanswered...
And the point to your debate about credentials is what again exactly? And it’s relevant at this point in time - how again?

Any debate taking place should be about performance - either you’re performing or you are not - and that is really all that matters.

And the point to your debate about credentials is what again exactly? And it’s relevant at this point in time - how again?

Any debate taking place should be about performance - either you’re performing or you are not - and that is really all that matters.
I get bored debating less relevant issues like can he manage a big time coaching contract. That's ignoring the forest for the trees. The guy's fundamentally unfit for an AD job--contracts are just part of the story...

...With Louisville he had connections and partnerships/friendships with Louisville associates from being around Louisville athletics his entire life and thus he began to work with the school and was offered the job...
And exactly how did that qualify him? Too many people have defended his hire since it was made.
...Regardless of how he got the job, I think we can all agree that he's done a fantastic job since he's been here from the coaches he's hired in various sports to lowering his own salary to a normal level from the ridiculous amount that Jurich was getting paid.
That's mostly garbage. Tyra's had one legit accomplishment IMO, keeping McDonnell. The rest are simply an employee doing his job AKA fake accomplishments. He "lowered his salary" to a level that's still higher than anyone else would be paying him as AD.

Jurich's accomplishments fill an entire page...

I get bored debating less relevant issues like can he manage a big time coaching contract. That's ignoring the forest for the trees. The guy's fundamentally unfit for an AD job--contracts are just part of the story...

LoL.

Just gibberish.

I know. Youll be here all week. o_O

Reactions: wilkie01
If so inclined (which given that you have spite for days you are) one could credibly make the point that Tyra was less qualified to be the AD - perhaps even dramatically so - than other potential candidates. What you can’t credibly say at this point, is that he’s “unfit” for the job. The fact is that he’s been in the job for a while and to date his performance has been fine.

Until and unless that changes - all of the debate about Tyra is boring and more importantly, misplaced.

I think the truth is that they went to Tyra in a pinch just before making a move on Jurich. My guess is that they knew him, he was available, and his name might resonate with the fan base, making fans more willing to accept the change with little resistance. It was, in my view, a miscalculation, as many in this board have stated. He was hired because he was handy and willing. There was no permanent president to muck things up, just a yes -man warming a chair.

I think the truth is that they went to Tyra in a pinch just before making a move on Jurich
I’d bet he was “ordered” at at least told/heavily asked by Grissom to take it, and was a lock to get it because he’s been a “good soldier” who follows orders in the past.

And what UofL fan is going to oppose a “Tyra”?

Pretty convenient.

If so inclined (which given that you have spite for days you are) one could credibly make the point that Tyra was less qualified to be the AD - perhaps even dramatically so - than other potential candidates. What you can’t credibly say at this point, is that he’s “unfit” for the job. The fact is that he’s been in the job for a while and to date his performance has been fine.

Until and unless that changes - all of the debate about Tyra is boring and more importantly, misplaced.
Don't blame me for the subject. Someone else brought up buyouts and money, and Tyra's the guy responsible in that area. I'm fine talking about relative coaching records if you wanna keep it on that plane...

Don't blame me for the subject. Someone else brought up buyouts and money, and Tyra's the guy responsible in that area. I'm fine talking about relative coaching records if you wanna keep it on that plane...
Sure - let’s talk about relative coaching records. I trust that we won’t take the lazy way out and will be discussing all facets of what truly makes up a coach’s record and not just wins and losses.

Fair enough?

Sure - let’s talk about relative coaching records. I trust that we won’t take the lazy way out and will be discussing all facets of what truly makes up a coach’s record and not just wins and losses.

Fair enough?
I'm not sure what those sideboards mean, but knock yourself out.

Since this is the direction I guess we're headed, I'll start by simply quoting that Brohm is 1-5 as a head coach against ranked Power Five teams. By the end of the day, that's probably going to be 1-6...

Since this is the direction I guess we're headed, I'll start by simply quoting that Brohm is 1-5 as a head coach against ranked Power Five teams. By the end of the day, that's probably going to be 1-6...

Petrino 2.0 is 1-12.

Is that 1 P5 win over Boston College ?!?!

The same BC that kicked Louisville's ass WITHOUT DILLON.

You keep on losing.
Keep up the bad work-

Petrino - 27-14 last 3 1/2 years.
Brohm - 32 - 14 last 3 1/2 years.

Petrino - ranked #115 out of 130 cfb football coaches in performance by College Football News for 2017.
Brohm - ranked #12.

Petrino - multiple scandals during his career - espn has him listed as the 6th most hated CFB HC - OF ALL TIME.
Brohm - no scandals.

Im still not understanding how we get brohm or any big time coach when the board didnt want to pay mack 4million a year. We know brohm isnt going to come to louisvillle for the same salary nor is he going to take a paycut. So how in the hell do we get him.

Im still not understanding how we get brohm or any big time coach when the board didnt want to pay mack 4million a year. We know brohm isnt going to come to louisvillle for the same salary nor is he going to take a paycut. So how in the hell do we get him.

What, you want Assistant for 1-2 million and soon as he is successful, he bolts for a blueblood or big boy school ?

Pay now or pay later with half empty stadium, declining merchandise sales and advertisements.

The money will work itself out REGARDLESS of what tripe Zipp will post........

Umm - but they hired him and gave him 4M - right? Besides, who says the BOT didn’t want to pay Mack? Up to - and including now - the BOT = grissom. If grissom didn’t want to pay Mack - he wouldn’t have been paid.

Now on to Brohm.

I think UofL has a great stable of coaches and when we hire Brohm it’s going to right at the top.

Jurich did a great job finding talented coaches. Tyra has done a great job maintaining those relationships through all the turmoil. Retaining McDonnell, extending Lolla and Walz, navigating a tough situation with field hockey, hiring a great softball coach and of course getting Mack on board despite major NCAA infractions is quite the accomplishment. We should all be excited that the athletic department is in solid hands despite all that has transpired!

Petrino - 27-14 last 3 1/2 years.
Brohm - 32 - 14 last 3 1/2 years.

Petrino - ranked #115 out of 130 cfb football coaches in performance by College Football News for 2017.
Brohm - ranked #12.

Petrino - multiple scandals during his career - espn has him listed as the 6th most hated CFB HC - OF ALL TIME.
Brohm - no scandals.
Brohm is 9-8 against Power Five teams that are NOT ranked. That's not changing tonite regardless of the Ohio State outcome. And people are seriously considering paying $18 million for that...

Reactions: swurv99
Brohm is 9-8 against Power Five teams that are NOT ranked. That's not changing tonite regardless of the Ohio State outcome. And people are seriously considering paying $18 million for that...
Lol - what a perfect example of the way you approach things. Should Brohm beat osu tonight - your focus will be on what his record is vs non-ranked teams. However should osu come back and win - you’ll say that he can’t get the job done against ranked teams.

You’re amusing - I’ll give you that.

I'm not blaming Brohm for pedestrian stats that from a distance are no worse than Petrino's. That's not the issue. I'm OK with swapping Brohm for Petrino, but that's not possible. That swap costs me $18 million just for starters...

Lol - what a perfect example of the way you approach things. Should Brohm beat osu tonight - your focus will be on what his record is vs non-ranked teams. However should osu come back and win - you’ll say that he can’t get the job done against ranked teams.

You’re amusing - I’ll give you that.
Oh, I've got other stats like RPI showing how unimpressive Brohm's record is. If you're looking to hire a coach, no question he's worth taking a chance on. But U of L would be paying $18 million just to find out.

BTW if Brohm wins tonite, the ante for him goes up. He'd love nothing better than a bidding war between U of L and Purdue for his services. And that's if no bigger program wants to pursue him in the back half of the season...

Last edited:
Oh, I've got other stats like RPI showing how unimpressive Brohm's record is. If you're looking to hire a coach, no question he's worth taking a chance on. But U of L would be paying $18 million just to find out.

BTW if Brohm wins tonite, the ante for him goes up. He'd love nothing better than a bidding war between U of L and Purdue for his services. And that's if no bigger program wants to pursue him in the back half of the season...
Man - you’re really flinging all the shit against the wall to see what sticks - lol.

Brohm wins and UofL really can’t afford him - he loses and, he’s not good enough To make the effort. You’ve really covered all of your mental bases.

Like I said - amusing.

Man - you’re really flinging all the shit against the wall to see what sticks - lol.

Brohm wins and UofL really can’t afford him - he loses and, he’s not good enough To make the effort. You’ve really covered all of your mental bases.

Like I said - amusing.
Too much reading between the lines. One game for me is one data point, i.e., nothing much changes. But the better he does in the eyes of Purdue and U of L fans, the more he's worth. I like that if I'm Jeff's agent.

For me, it's always been about money...something too few fans appreciate. IIRC you didn't wanna talk about that.

61ZqwupnTnL._SX463_.jpg

You have raised this point in the past and as usual, you are being so simplistic as to be silly. It is not Petrino's salary that is going to cripple the athletic department; it is the egregious buyout he was given when we were only competing against ourselves. I have no issue with paying him 4-5 million per year, but he would have certainly agreed to a buyout of $1 million given that he had literally no other option. What is Tyra's buyout if he was to fail like Petrino and we had to let him go?

Last edited:
You have raised this point in the past and as usual, you are being so simplistic as to be silly. It is not Petrino's salary that is going to cripple the athletic department; it is the egregious buyout he was given when we were only competing against ourselves. I have no issue with paying him 4-5 million per year, but he would have certainly agreed to a buyout of $1 million given that he had literally no other option. What is Tyra's buyout if he was to fail like Petrino and we had to let him go?
Petrino's buyout was set in 2016 coming off the MCB win with Lamar returning. Tell me that no one in America was interested in Petrino as a coach, and I'll tell you that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And Petrino's buyout is the same as Mack's and less than Brohm's. IOW it is/was typical for a coach of his stature. BTW this is the same response I'll give you the next time you bring the subject up...

Petrino's buyout was set in 2016 coming off the MCB win with Lamar returning. Tell me that no one in America was interested in Petrino as a coach, and I'll tell you that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And Petrino's buyout is the same as Mack's and less than Brohm's. IOW it is/was typical for a coach of his stature. BTW this is the same response I'll give you the next time you bring the subject up...

I’m sure some school would’ve been interested in him, just don’t think it wouldve been any school of higher stature than Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT