ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching candidates

GoldCard

Three-Star Poster
Jun 13, 2001
I am not convinced that we can afford to go after Jeff Brohm as our next head coach, given his buyout, and Petrino’s insanely high buyout. Let’s have a thread for other candidates that we can afford.

4 names at the top of my list:

Manny Diaz
Defensive Coordinator at the U
One of the best defenses in the country and he can recruit Florida.

John Grass
Head Coach at Jacksonville State
JSU is a national power in FCS. The entire staff there is impressive. The team is fundamentally sound and is near the top of FCS in both offense and defense.

Kendal Briles
OC at Houston
Briles has asst coaching and recruiting experience in BOTH Texas and Florida. Houston’s offense is one of the best in the nation.

Brian Jean-Mary
DC at South Florida
Former UofL assistant who recruits his ass off. We would start pulling the kinds of recruits that we saw under Charlie.

I would be stoked with any of these guys and I think they would take the job without costing tens of millions of dollars. I welcome comments and discussion.

Reactions: idaho_bob
Brohm would energize the fan base and his teams are tough. I think that is the obvious choice, but the finances have to be worked out. If that can't be done then the list above is good, if they leave then we are used to that anyway.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I am not convinced that we can afford to go after Jeff Brohm as our next head coach, given his buyout, and Petrino’s insanely high buyout. Let’s have a thread for other candidates that we can afford.

4 names at the top of my list:

Manny Diaz
Defensive Coordinator at the U
One of the best defenses in the country and he can recruit Florida.

John Grass
Head Coach at Jacksonville State
JSU is a national power in FCS. The entire staff there is impressive. The team is fundamentally sound and is near the top of FCS in both offense and defense.

Kendal Briles
OC at Houston
Briles has asst coaching and recruiting experience in BOTH Texas and Florida. Houston’s offense is one of the best in the nation.

Brian Jean-Mary
DC at South Florida
Former UofL assistant who recruits his ass off. We would start pulling the kinds of recruits that we saw under Charlie.

I would be stoked with any of these guys and I think they would take the job without costing tens of millions of dollars. I welcome comments and discussion.

Petrino’s buyout is not insanely high. Look at Jimbo Fischer’s or Dabo Swinney’s. Those buyouts make Petrino’s look like chump change.

Reactions: zipp and wilkie01
As much as I like Brohm and I hope one day he is our coach I don’t see the attraction right now. We are 2-4 and Purdue is 2-3 what makes anybody think Brohm would have more success than Petrino right now ?

what makes anybody think Brohm would have more success than Petrino right now ?
That's a really good question. I believe that Petrino probably would get another season after this one(and he may still) except for a couple of things. Empty seats and this is year 5.

As far as that question, it's true that Brohm's team started slow. They, like the Cards, are young. However, one guy has figured it out maybe and the other one has not. Brohm is in only his second year. That would be my short answer.... energy.

Reactions: wilkie01
Petrino’s buyout is not insanely high. Look at Jimbo Fischer’s or Dabo Swinney’s. Those buyouts make Petrino’s look like chump change.

Kentuckyshame, 'insanely high' is a relative term. The 2 coaches you mentioned have won national championships, are at programs flush with cash, and are free of any baggage. Petrino did not check any of those boxes at the time of his last contract extension.

I agree with Kozmas and others in that we don't know if Brohm will be successful here, and I certainly don't think we should take the view that the search begins and ends with Brohm. His record at Purdue is solid, but not eye-popping and the distraction of the UofL job potentially being open could interfere with Purdue's remaining games. Also, bringing him to UofL will be very expensive unless Tyra is some kind of wizard of negotiations.

The coaches I mentioned have impressive resumes and I refuse to take the defeatist attitude that any of them would leave as soon as they had success. We have a big fan base, one of the larger stadiums in football (and certainly the nicest on-campus), play in a major conference, and it's been demonstrated that winning at a high level is possible here.

Now, I ask which of the guys I mentioned in the OP would you consider the most desirable candidate?
Anyone? Anyone?
Bueller?

The coaches I mentioned have impressive resumes and I refuse to take the defeatist attitude that any of them would leave as soon as they had success. We have a big fan base, one of the larger stadiums in football (and certainly the nicest on-campus), play in a major conference, and it's been demonstrated that winning at a high level is possible here.
I’d submit that it’s less defeatist and more realist based upon real world experience. 99% of HC have a dream job and it’s not a knock but it’s fair to say that for 99% of them - UofL isn’t it.

I think Jeff Brohm might be that 1% for UofL.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Never should of let Charlie Strong go. His teams were always full of talented recruits, who loved to play for him,..................and won games. By the way........how is Charlie Strong doing now..hmmmm. 6-0 and ranked in the top 25

Never should of let Charlie Strong go.
uh, my memory may be wrong but that asshole, who famously said he'd never do us like that and it wasn't in his character, did us like that for simple money and ego. he had a chance to play for national titles and now he plays where, in the aac? sorry, we shouldn't have taken petrino back in the first place and we shouldn't try to make uof l great again by going thru retreads who've been here before, which btw seems to be our game plan. didn't we rehire jl smith?

Never should of let Charlie Strong go. His teams were always full of talented recruits, who loved to play for him,..................and won games. By the way........how is Charlie Strong doing now..hmmmm. 6-0 and ranked in the top 25

Remember all the strong naysayers when Strong was here . The complaints about boring , low scoring offense despite winning.
UCF 49 GT 38

But Strong cheated on his wife.
Perino didnt chea.... nevermnd.

But Strong lied. He said he wasnt leaving Louisville. Petrino didnt lie...did he.....ummmmm nevermind.

Reactions: wilkie01
Kentuckyshame, 'insanely high' is a relative term. The 2 coaches you mentioned have won national championships, are at programs flush with cash, and are free of any baggage. Petrino did not check any of those boxes at the time of his last contract extension...
Which of those boxes did Brohm and Mack check with their recent contracts? Their buyouts are as high or higher than Petrino's...

Im still trying to figure out how you all expect us to get brohm when its been stated many times and recently by a board member that we have no money to buyout P. Also brohm makes only 200k less then P so he is easily going to want 5million a year which i dont think the new regime is trying to pay. Oh and we will have to pay brohm's buyout which were not trying to do and also coach pitino is more then likely getting his money.

Im still trying to figure out how you all expect us to get brohm when its been stated many times and recently by a board member that we have no money to buyout
alumni and boosters will foot the bill not the board. believe me if there is a rich donor who wants brohm and u of l needs the money it'll get done. money is not an issue up to a point then it's just dumb money overspent

So donations in general are down according to a board member but you still think tjese alumni and boosters are going to put 14million up to fire P? Again i dont see it.

Im still trying to figure out how you all expect us to get brohm when its been stated many times and recently by a board member that we have no money to buyout P. Also brohm makes only 200k less then P so he is easily going to want 5million a year which i dont think the new regime is trying to pay. Oh and we will have to pay brohm's buyout which were not trying to do and also coach pitino is more then likely getting his money.
^^^ The bottom line ^^^
alumni and boosters will foot the bill not the board. believe me if there is a rich donor who wants brohm and u of l needs the money it'll get done. money is not an issue up to a point then it's just dumb money overspent
Tyra should start with the tooth fairy...

So donations in general are down according to a board member but you still think tjese alumni and boosters are going to put 14million up to fire P? Again i dont see it.

Of course you dont.

Youre wearing red tinted glasses.......

Remember all the strong naysayers when Strong was here . The complaints about boring , low scoring offense despite winning.
UCF 49 GT 38...
LOL at anyone trying to marginalize the fan complaints over Charlie-ball.

Let me see if I can recall one popular mantra, oh yeah... "Charlie just got lucky landing Teddy-5..."

^^^ The bottom line ^^^

Tyra should start with the tooth fairy...
Of course you dont.

Youre wearing red tinted glasses.......

So kerry these boosters are going to put close to 30million up of there own money to fire P and get brohm when donations are down in general and a board member has already said were broke and donations are down, got it

So kerry these boosters are going to put close to 30million up of there own money to fire P and get brohm when donations are down in general and a board member has already said were broke and donations are down, got it

Youre not going to pay the 30 million up front. It will all be spread out over several years.

I guaran-dam-tee donations would significantly spike if, rather when Brohm is named coach at UofL.

UCF 49 GT 38

But Strong cheated on his wife.
Perino didnt chea.... nevermnd.

But Strong lied. He said he wasnt leaving Louisville. Petrino didnt lie...did he.....ummmmm nevermind.

But Kerry, Bobby got a pass because he rode a motorcycle until he crashed it.
petrino-roadking.jpg

This is an excellent point Kerry. I'll do you one better and say that Brohm will be here for the rest of his career.
Gotta remind you, we all said the same for CBP and how’s that working out?

Ain’t nothing dead solid perfect.

Youre not going to pay the 30 million up front. It will all be spread out over several years.

I guaran-dam-tee donations would significantly spike if, rather when Brohm is named coach at UofL.

P would want his money upfront. He doesnt have to take his money in installments and neither does purdue. Plus can we wait and see if brohm wins 6 or 7 games again this seasom before crowning him. They still have ohio state, michigan state, and wisconsin. Going 6-6 two years in a row doesnt mean he deserves 5-6million a year from UL.

Reactions: GoldCard
As much as the fans want Petrino gone I can't see any way in the world the administration forks over the money needed to get rid of Petrino for someone like Manny Diaz or Jacksonville State's coach. They'll roll the dice with Bobby another year unless they can get Brohm.

Reactions: BPGhost
As much as the fans want Petrino gone I can't see any way in the world the administration forks over the money needed to get rid of Petrino for someone like Manny Diaz or Jacksonville State's coach. They'll roll the dice with Bobby another year unless they can get Brohm.

Yep. If the money isn’t there for Brohm then you make Petrino come up with a plan and move forward with him.

Reactions: BPGhost
P would want his money upfront. He doesnt have to take his money in installments and neither does purdue. Plus can we wait and see if brohm wins 6 or 7 games again this seasom before crowning him. They still have ohio state, michigan state, and wisconsin. Going 6-6 two years in a row doesnt mean he deserves 5-6million a year from UL.
Dude - get your numbers straight and be consistent. Buyout would be between 16-18M for both. It also wouldn’t take 6M to get JB.

Plus - I’d say 6-6 two years in a row from where he started is better than 8-5 (with the reigning HT winner) and what - 3-9?

Kentuckyshame, 'insanely high' is a relative term. The 2 coaches you mentioned have won national championships, are at programs flush with cash, and are free of any baggage. Petrino did not check any of those boxes at the time of his last contract extension.

I agree with Kozmas and others in that we don't know if Brohm will be successful here, and I certainly don't think we should take the view that the search begins and ends with Brohm. His record at Purdue is solid, but not eye-popping and the distraction of the UofL job potentially being open could interfere with Purdue's remaining games. Also, bringing him to UofL will be very expensive unless Tyra is some kind of wizard of negotiations.

Now, I ask which of the guys I mentioned in the OP would you consider the most desirable candidate?
Anyone? Anyone?
Bueller?

Okay relatively speaking, it’s still not insanely high compared to these non winning championship coaches:
Chris Peterson 30.7 million
Kirk Ferentz 22 million
James Franklin 21.9 million
Tom Herman 20.4 million
Bronco Mendenhall 17.4 million

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT