ADVERTISEMENT

Closing out the recruiting class

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
Wanted to give a take on some guys that we appear to be pursuing that we haven’t heard much about lately.
Looking at who we have offered on defense and their interests from 247 it looks like we have potential to land a few options at DE/OLB, but the class likely won’t include a DB (except a potential athlete). Here are some guys I think the staff may move in on that we haven’t heard much from lately.

Raymond Cutts - DE/OLB: appears to be down to us and Clemson and Clemmy’s class is almost complete. See Jarrett Jackson’s recruitment last year with FSU as example. Cutts may fall in our lap.

Mikel Jones - OLB: This guy is probably going to end up at Miami if they have room, but he is supposedly “warm” with us, Uk and LSU. If the staff can secure a visit and we may have a shot.

Jamie Pettway - OLB: South Carolina appears to be the main competition, but I think this is another guy where if we can maybe get a visit, maybe we can jump in on him. Similar to Jones and Miami.

Myles Farmer - S/WR : he appears to be friends or acquaintences with UofL commit Jeremiah Pruitte and has been brought up recently. If we need depth in the secondary we could take him as a safety.

On offense the RB spot sticks out as a position we haven’t heard much about but some names blipped on the radar here and there. (Robbins is a solid commit and quite the player) We may not be done here.

Tony Mathis - Been discussed a little bit recently. Appears to be us vs WVU. Would be a change of pace guy to combine with Robbins power running.

John Bivens - Seemingly down to us, Uk and Nebraska. If we decide that we need another back he could be a solid guy to fill this role.

Treshaun Ward - I don’t think he’s a take, but he would need to bulk up and fill that Brandon Radcliffe role. Appears we are behind Maryland.

Mekhi Sargent - we are seemingly the only team involved. If we have a scholarship open, I expect him to come on as a Juco prospect. Similar size to ward. (Shorter guy but can bulk up a little more).

If we can pick up 2-3 of those defensive players that have had a rather quiet recruitment with us and possibly one running back in addition to Milton Wright and JJ Weaver who we look good with I would say this class is pretty successful. Particularly if we pick up Raymond Cutts. He, Weaver, and Varner could all provide solid depth on the line. Farmer could fall in at safety, or Pettway/Jones could fill the linebacker spot and we’d have a solid 2-3 deep building up on the defense. Another guy that has come up recently is Jordan Clark. He would be a good pick-up at DB now that Otey appears off the table. Get 5 or so defensive prospects mentioned here and I’d be content.

Running back has been a spot of injury for the cards so if Wilson/Williams are banged up all year look for the cards to take 1 more IMO. Can’t have enough backs.

All in all there is a potential to finish strong. Some of our top guys may end up elsewhere (Otey and Casey) but hopefully the staff is in touch with some of the mentioned guys that are under the radar and we finish with a solid class filling our needs in the top 50.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News