ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson/Lsu talent

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
I truly hope those that are and have complained about CCS recruiting is watching this game. I've read post on here about expecting CSS to be recruiting at this level and playing with Clemson within the next year . temper your expectations ..These are some serious fb players on this field the likes we just will not have here .Lets be happy with what CSS can get.

It’s funny that the years we were really good we had so many good local kids at the same time. Like when we had Brohm and Bush I think if we can lock down Louisville we can be a strong competitor.

Reactions: RomanOben
It’s funny that the years we were really good we had so many good local kids at the same time. Like when we had Brohm and Bush I think if we can lock down Louisville we can be a strong competitor.
Really haven't been a Bush,Brohm ,Ibn Green or Boyd in awhile . I only can think of Parker and the kid up at Purdue lately that really have and are those level guys. Well the Robey kid but he went to the gators would have been an elite player here .

I truly hope those that are and have complained about CCS recruiting is watching this game. I've read post on here about expecting CSS to be recruiting at this level and playing with Clemson within the next year . temper your expectations ..These are some serious fb players on this field the likes we just will not have here .Lets be happy with what CSS can get.

Such a soft stance. Clemson didn’t have players like that either ten years ago. Man up and compete. We could play toe to toe with those jokers as recently as 2016.

Such a soft stance. Clemson didn’t have players like that either ten years ago. Man up and compete. We could play toe to toe with those jokers as recently as 2016.
I guess . However 1 losing season in 20 years and that was 6-7 just saying.

The thing that Louisville football truly hasn’t had us a coach dedicated to being here for the long haul. If Satterfield is that guy we turn the corner and crack the playoffs.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Louisiana produces the most NFL talent per capita. Clemson is right by Georgia, Tennessee, and not too far from Florida. Has some nice talent of their own.

There’s not too much talent in our state. Owning the city of Louisville would be cool and all, but we ain’t producing talent like New Orleans.

All throughout the south those areas are living and breathing football. That ain’t the culture up here and we will always be starting from behind from the talent standpoint.

Louisiana produces the most NFL talent per capita. Clemson is right by Georgia, Tennessee, and not too far from Florida. Has some nice talent of their own.

There’s not too much talent in our state. Owning the city of Louisville would be cool and all, but we ain’t producing talent like New Orleans.

All throughout the south those areas are living and breathing football. That ain’t the culture up here and we will always be starting from behind from the talent standpoint.

There’s absolutely no reason we can’t pull enough top talent to compete at the highest level of college football. It will take some time, but a major southern city like Louisville that also has easy access to Cincinnati, St.Louis, Indianapolis, Nashville, Chicago and Atlanta to go with strong ties in Florida should not lack for quality dudes. It’s going to simply take a coach willing to be here for more than a few years. Hell, even Porky Stoops has UK recruiting well and it’s simply because he’s been there.

There’s absolutely no reason we can’t pull enough top talent to compete at the highest level of college football. It will take some time, but a major southern city like Louisville that also has easy access to Cincinnati, St.Louis, Indianapolis, Nashville, Chicago and Atlanta to go with strong ties in Florida should not lack for quality dudes. It’s going to simply take a coach willing to be here for more than a few years. Hell, even Porky Stoops has UK recruiting well and it’s simply because he’s been there.
Here is the top 10 classes in order, currently on Rivals

Clemson
Georgia
Alabama
LSU
Ohio State
Texas A&M
Florida
Auburn
Oregon
Michigan

1. We have recruited to be able to “compete” at the highest level with those team, but to sustain and be a playoff contender regularly it’s an uphill battle.

2. Look at that list and tell me how we should expect to ever compete with teams like that in recruiting? The teams in there have been doing it for years and have established brands/names. They have 90k-100k fans showing up for games.

And that list doesn’t even have teams like Notre Dame, USC, Florida State, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Tennessee, etc that can have an average class and usually still get a top 25 class.

Here are the playoff teams during the 6 years of the playoff
Alabama 5
Clemson 5
Oklahoma 4
Ohio State 3
LSU 1
Georgia 1
Oregon 1
Florida State 1
Michigan State 1
Notre Dame 1
Washington 1

That list shows that maybe we can hope one day to get a good year like a Michigan State or Washington. But just looking at the talent/results.

We aren’t in a great area for recruiting. Louisville has some decent players in the city, but it’s not a football town. Most years we don’t even have a 4 star come out of the city where a bigger city down south just has them coming out left and right.

And yes we can go to Florida, St. Louis, etc., but when you leave the state to go to those areas you’re fighting everyone.

Recruiting at that level is hard and it’s easy to just say “we should be doing this easy”, but that’s disrespectful to the coaching staffs. We fight and recruit hard, but are just at a disadvantage. I don’t want to create unreasonable expectations of coach Satt. Let’s move into consistent top 25-30 classes first and see where we go from there.

They've had elite talent for a long time, but just couldn't get out of their own way or overcome Tommy Bowden's coaching.

JP
It’s kind of like South Carolina with Muschamp now. So many NFL picks and just plain great athletes on their roster and they can’t even get to a Bowl. (Although I do respect their OOC schedule being tough)

It’s kind of like South Carolina with Muschamp now. So many NFL picks and just plain great athletes on their roster and they can’t even get to a Bowl. (Although I do respect their OOC schedule being tough)
The demise of the Gamecocks when Spurrier left = the rise of the Clemson Tigers under Dabo. The Tigers now generally get the best players in the state/region.

We'll get one every now and then, but not a whole damn team full of them like the Tigers and Tigers.

I like that mentality. Have to keep in perspective we had the best college football player in history as our QB. Certainly helps.

The demise of the Gamecocks when Spurrier left = the rise of the Clemson Tigers under Dabo. The Tigers now generally get the best players in the state/region.
You wanna talk about a heated in-State rivalry, those guys hate each other.

just at the start of the decade SC owned Clemson with 5 straight wins. 3 straight 10 win seasons and top 10 finishes. Spurrier was rolling. Then Spurrier slipped a bit, Clemson hasn’t looked back since.

And look at their rivalry with FSU. Florida State has won 5 of 7 and then got a national title and a playoff appearance back to back year. Then Clemson takes a step forward and they haven’t lost to FSU since.

crazy how fortunes can change so quickly.

I like that mentality. Have to keep in perspective we had the best college football player in history as our QB. Certainly helps.
And going into his freshman year, all we could think about was the senior in High school we beat out Auburn and Alabama to get. Puma Pass.

Greatness can come from anywhere!

We have to be the best evaluators of potential talent We have to be the best developers of talent. We need a full senior class every year. A three star who has been in a system for 2-3 years is equal to a high school four star and sometimes five star. It can be done, but we have to do it like Wisconsin or Iowa.

Reactions: RomanOben
We have to be the best evaluators of potential talent We have to be the best developers of talent. We need a full senior class every year. A three star who has been in a system for 2-3 years is equal to a high school four star and sometimes five star. It can be done, but we have to do it like Wisconsin or Iowa.
This. Recruit high character kids with talent and keep em around four years.

The hardest job is building a football program. Recruiting is brutal. Coaches leaving. There are so many variables that come into play.

Louisville has to be really smart in how it recruits. They have no margin for error. They can build a really good program with 3 stars with a mix of 4 stars. I like their walk on program. It will only help in the high school ranks.

There is enough talent in IN, IL, KY,MO,TN,WV, GA, SC,NC and Fl to go around. At the end of the day for a program like Louisville it is all about the relationships. They have to keep key guys on staff for multiple years. Almost everyone that recruits well has an established recruiter. Say what you will about Marrow he can recruit. He isn’t a coach he is a 1 trick pony he recruits. FSU DL coach is basically untouchable because he recruits. Louisville has never maintained their lead recruiter.

I will never say never but I will be extremely surprised if Louisville ever cracks the top 10 in football recruiting rankings.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
The hardest job is building a football program. Recruiting is brutal. Coaches leaving. There are so many variables that come into play.

Louisville has to be really smart in how it recruits. They have no margin for error. They can build a really good program with 3 stars with a mix of 4 stars. I like their walk on program. It will only help in the high school ranks.

There is enough talent in IN, IL, KY,MO,TN,WV, GA, SC,NC and Fl to go around. At the end of the day for a program like Louisville it is all about the relationships. They have to keep key guys on staff for multiple years. Almost everyone that recruits well has an established recruiter. Say what you will about Marrow he can recruit. He isn’t a coach he is a 1 trick pony he recruits. FSU DL coach is basically untouchable because he recruits. Louisville has never maintained their lead recruiter.

I will never say never but I will be extremely surprised if Louisville ever cracks the top 10 in football recruiting rankings.
The old $EC saying was/is "If ya ain't cheatin, ya ain't tryin"

I firmly believe this is the case. Another thread tells part of LSUs "$ucce$$" story, and asks how do $EC schools get 4 star kids to $it behind other 4-5 $tar kid$ for 2-3 year$?

What exactly make the$e guy$ "better" recruiter$ than our guys? Are they just damned nice guys? :confused:o_O:rolleyes:

But then you have the geography aspect. Kids can "get away" but don't have to go "far" away.

Let’s all remember that Burrows was a 2 star player out of Nebraska, who made himself and through the transfer route made him who he is now, a top NFL draft pick.

Let’s all remember that Burrows was a 2 star player out of Nebraska, who made himself and through the transfer route made him who he is now, a top NFL draft pick.
No sure if you are kidding, but he wasn’t a 2 star on any of the main recruiting services. He 3 star on Rivals, 4 star with 24/7 and ESPN.

He obviously developed at LSU which is huge part of successful programs.

No sure if you are kidding, but he wasn’t a 2 star on any of the main recruiting services. He 3 star on Rivals, 4 star with 24/7 and ESPN.

I know the announcers during the championship game clearly stated that he was a 2 star coming out of HS.

Just confirmed that Herbstreit did make the comment but there have been other message board discussions if Herbie got the wrong information and only repeated it.

Last edited:
They've had elite talent for a long time, but just couldn't get out of their own way or overcome Tommy Bowden's coaching.

JP
Not really. Most of our classes under Bowden looked similar to your class. Wasn't until about '08 Bowden's last year that it started to change and that was primarily Dabo's doing. Still wasn't elite until a few years ago. We just coached em up better than most up until a few years ago. Recruiting is important but the coaching staff is just as important and hopefully y'all have that taken care of.

Actually UofSC has very few top end athletes and fewer draft picks under Muschamp. There's a reason they went 4-8 last year and all their assistants are jumping ship. You don't ever want to put yourself in the same conversation as the cocks.

Also, he’s from Ohio, I believe, not Nebraska.

Actually UofSC has very few top end athletes and fewer draft picks under Muschamp. There's a reason they went 4-8 last year and all their assistants are jumping ship. You don't ever want to put yourself in the same conversation as the cocks.
They had 3 last year and have 5 projected this year. For reference, Clemson had 6 drafted last year.

Deebo Samuel and Hayden Hurst were pretty darn good. Kinlaw this year will be a 1st round pick and a good player in the league.

Their 4-8 can be partially attributed to scheduling. The had UNC, App State, and Clemson as 3 of their non conference games. Had Alabama and Texas &M as crossover games. Add that to playing Florida and UGA in their own division.

Compared to other SEC sissy scheduling in the SEC East like our neighbors in Lexington and Missouri, the have guts.

They had 3 last year and have 5 projected this year. For reference, Clemson had 6 drafted last year.

Deebo Samuel and Hayden Hurst were pretty darn good. Kinlaw this year will be a 1st round pick and a good player in the league.

Their 4-8 can be partially attributed to scheduling. The had UNC, App State, and Clemson as 3 of their non conference games. Had Alabama and Texas &M as crossover games. Add that to playing Florida and UGA in their own division.

Compared to other SEC sissy scheduling in the SEC East like our neighbors in Lexington and Missouri, the have guts.

They had a tough schedule, but only two of those were school choice... all the league games are mandated and that leaves them with UNC and Appy State.
Clemson is the rivalry game. The Gamecocks just had a bad time to have a bunch of bad injuries. They had ran Michigan outta their bowl the year before and not only was one of those four wins against Kentucky...which was no surprise, another was against Georgia AT Georgia. Just too many injuries and lots and lots of poor luck. I think they were another team on quarterback number four by year end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT