ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson/Louisville gets GameDay if...

MDCardsFan

500+
Sep 21, 2015
We Louisville fans wants ESPN to bring back GameDay for the Clemson/UL pretty badly, so I'm asking if they do bring it back for that game, what would need to happen in the 1st 2 weeks of the season? We do have stiff competition in order to get GameDay for week 3.

Because it is the 8pm ABC game, FSU vs Miami is the clubhouse leader by a lot. Miami will not lose its first 2 games. And even if FSU loses to Bama, it probably still gets the gameday crew unless FSU craps the bed against Bama. The only other game that has a lot of national appeal is Texas at USC. But that game is a Fox telecast so unlikely it would get picked over UofL vs Clemson.

Because it is the 8pm ABC game, FSU vs Miami is the clubhouse leader by a lot. Miami will not lose its first 2 games. And even if FSU loses to Bama, it probably still gets the gameday crew unless FSU craps the bed against Bama. The only other game that has a lot of national appeal is Texas at USC. But that game is a Fox telecast so unlikely it would get picked over UofL vs Clemson.

So it'll either be FSU/Miami or Clemson/Louisville for GameDay, let me throw this question @ you and others, what if Clemson is undefeated in Week 3?

Reactions: American Male
So it'll either be FSU/Miami or Clemson/Louisville for GameDay, let me throw this question @ you and others, what if Clemson is undefeated in Week 3?

Certainly Clemson and UofL both need to be undefeated, but it really comes down to FSU. There is a reason why ABC picked that game as the primetime game.

That's going to be a tough sale if Miami lives up to its billing and especially if FSU beats Bama. Not sure who Clemson plays in its 1 and 2 games but I don't think our schedule will get much respect compared to opening against Bama at Bama. But anything is possible!

Certainly Clemson and UofL both need to be undefeated, but it really comes down to FSU. There is a reason why ABC picked that game as the primetime game.
It is not a slight on Louisville/Clemson at all. That is a huge game. But FSU/Miami is always 8 PM on ABC every single year. It's a shame that the ACC scheduled both of those games on the same Saturday.

That's going to be a tough sale if Miami lives up to its billing and especially if FSU beats Bama. Not sure who Clemson plays in its 1 and 2 games but I don't think our schedule will get much respect compared to opening against Bama at Bama. But anything is possible!
Clemson plays Kent State at home on 09/02 and then Auburn at home on 09/09.

Clemson plays Kent State at home on 09/02 and then Auburn at home on 09/09.

Clemson very well will be undefeated headin into the showdown w/us and no disrespect to SchmidtyNole, FSU very well will be going into the Miami game w/1 loss.

So (IF) I'm right 2-0 vs 2-0 going against 2-0 vs 2-1, plus the fact the defending National Champion going against the returning Heisman Trophy winner @ there place would be a great pitch for GameDay to return to Louisville.

Clemson very well will be undefeated headin into the showdown w/us and no disrespect to SchmidtyNole, FSU very well will be going into the Miami game w/1 loss.

So (IF) I'm right 2-0 vs 2-0 going against 2-0 vs 2-1, plus the fact the defending National Champion going against the returning Heisman Trophy winner @ there place would be a great pitch for GameDay to return to Louisville.
Clemson could very easily lose to Auburn, who finally has a stud QB in Baylor transfer Stidham. Remember, Clemson will be breaking in a new QB and starting RB.

The absolute only way Louisville gets gameday is if FSU gets blown out by Bama AND Clemson and UofL are still undefeated.

Remember, we most likely aren't getting Gameday for 2 reasons:
1. #13 Auburn vs #5 Clemson at night, 1 week prior to us. I suspect this is where Gameday will be in Week 2.
2. FSU vs Miami, both ranked and an in-state rival at night on primetime ABC.

Yes I know we got Gameday at 12pm last year, but I would think it will be hard to choose UofL vs Clemson over 2 undefeated in-state rivals at primetime.

It might be a toss up but I think the construction works against UL. With that said because the game is at 3:30 they could have it on the baseball field this year so maybe not such a big deal. If Lamar starts the year with 2 great games that helps our case.

Reactions: zipp
I'm glad someone brought up the SLIGHTLY practical issue of where you gonna stage Game Day with the construction mess at that end of the stadium? Having seen it firsthand last year, I can only imagine the logistics.

It will be tough enough just getting games played with all of the other stuff normally happening. In view of the competing options they have, I can't believe ESPN won't take a pass on U of L this year...

Reactions: gocds
I'm glad someone brought up the SLIGHTLY practical issue of where you gonna stage Game Day with the construction mess at that end of the stadium? Having seen it firsthand last year, I can only imagine the logistics.

It will be tough enough just getting games played with all of the other stuff normally happening. In view of the competing options they have, I can't believe ESPN won't take a pass on U of L this year...

I agree. Perhaps next season when FSU comes back here OR in 2019 when ND visits for opening game.
It's also possible for GD to be at the FSU game in Tallahassee.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

What if they have GD outside of the stadium like they did last year before they did the final hr inside of the stadium?

The soccer of baseball stadium would work.

I bet that Louisville vs Alabama will be GameDay next year. But I do think Louisville gets a GameDay in Tally if both are undefeated or 2 top 10/15 teams

Clemson vs UofL is not happening. Doesnt make sense really with everything else that's going on.

Also, anyone know where the team will enter from? Will there be the inflatable and stuff or just boring running in?. We already only have 1 board to look at this season.

What if they have GD outside of the stadium like they did last year before they did the final hr inside of the stadium?
That's mine and 77's point... I'm not sure if you were there last year, but all of that real estate is presently under construction and may never be available again for that purpose.

With the other demands for real estate on a game weekend, I can't envision anything of the scale available that ESPN needs unless they significantly DOWNsize what they usually do. And wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose of staging it here?

Simply put, you don't want it if you can't do it right. I don't want anything U of L-related looking bad on TV...

That's mine and 77's point... I'm not sure if you were there last year, but all of that real estate is presently under construction and may never be available again for that purpose.

With the other demands for real estate on a game weekend, I can't envision anything of the scale available that ESPN needs unless they significantly DOWNsize what they usually do. And wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose of staging it here?

Simply put, you don't want it if you can't do it right. I don't want anything U of L-related looking bad on TV...

No I wasn't there that early for GD before they moved into the stadium. I know that it's a long shot that GD returns for the Clemson game would love to have it again for quite possibly 2 top 10 teams facing off. IF they do decide to bring GD back here, I am confident that they'll find a spot/place to have it.

U of L does not get GD vs. FSU because the game is not at home. That does not count.

The construction means nothing. U of L will find a place to hold it. There are several options, if it is offered. Aside from the soccer and baseball stadiums it can be held anywhere around the stadium because it will be over at noon giving plenty of time to demo the set.

This one will not be decided, until that week and anything right now is nothing more than a guess. It all depends on who wins and loses. The fact that FSU-UM is the primetime game means nothing. Both games are ABC/ESPN games, so they will want to pimp those 2 games. If U of L and Clemson are both undefeated they could both be in the Top 10. Miami will not move much and we won't really know anything about how good they are because their first 2 games suck. That does not help the FSU-UM cause. It will be real hard to turn down the defending NC vs. the reigning HTW. That gives them a LOT to talk about.

If you really want to get to what motivates ESPN it will be held here because the city removed the confederate monument on U of L's campus before it was en vogue. They'll probably shut down 3d Street and have it right where the monument used to be, so they can talk about the removal of statues the whole show.

Reactions: Mayoman
Just curious for those who know... What's the furthest from the nearby football stadium that ESPN has ever staged Game Day?

Last year GD @ Clemson was a hike from stadium. My guess is that it was about a mile from stadium.

Yeah, I don't know about distances, but plenty of schools have elected to have GD away from their stadiums, usually right in the middle of their campus in court yards etc. need historic buildings and such. We technically could do it next to the Speed Museum or in the square by the library, even the main entrance in front of Grawemeyer. It might make us look classier. We aren't, but it would look that way.

WDRBs Rick Bozich was at the Ohio State/Indiana game yesterday and he asked one of the ESPN personality about the possibility of College GameDay returning to Louisville this season and the ESPN personality said "With Lamar Jackson, there's a very good chance."

If UofL and Clemson both win then the odds of gameday are better than 50% I'd say, especially if Francois is out (wishing him the best btw...he is gamer). USC vs Texas is out

If UofL and Clemson both win then the odds of gameday are better than 50% I'd say, especially if Francois is out (wishing him the best btw...he is gamer). USC vs Texas is out

We all will find out next Saturday night if Clemson/Louisville gets it or not. I think that we are.

For these reasons, we WILL get GD, if both win. Plus, Miami looked pedestrian against a bad team. I do feel bad for Francois. If he is not out for the season, he ain't playing for a few weeks.

I think there is a new player on the consideration board - one that did not exist when this thread started.

Reece Davis was on one of the local radio shows this past Summer and told whoever that the decision on where GameDay is the following week is not determined on the biggest game, but the best story. (Whatever that means.)

While the two games mentioned in this thread appear to be the only two that day with clear playoff implications, Rice at Houston might be the "better story". It will be the first college game scheduled to be played in Houston since Harvey paid the region a visit and both schools and teams were significantly impacted. If Irma comes ashore next weekend as forecast I would think that may ratchet the angle up a tad as well. The game is currently slated for ESPN3, but I am not sure that matters.

I think there is a new player on the consideration board - one that did not exist when this thread started.

Reece Davis was on one of the local radio shows this past Summer and told whoever that the decision on where GameDay is the following week is not determined on the biggest game, but the best story. (Whatever that means.)

While the two games mentioned in this thread appear to be the only two that day with clear playoff implications, Rice at Houston might be the "better story". It will be the first college game scheduled to be played in Houston since Harvey paid the region a visit and both schools and teams were significantly impacted. If Irma comes ashore next weekend as forecast I would think that may ratchet the angle up a tad as well. The game is currently slated for ESPN3, but I am not sure that matters.

You are still an idiot. I hoped for your sake it might go away at some point.

Reactions: ciswilldean3215
You are still an idiot. I hoped for your sake it might go away at some point.

I've always wondered whether small-minded people are bitter all the time because they are small-minded, or whether the persistent bitterness leads to small-mindedness. Chicken or egg I guess.

I'm not sure the city of Houston would be ready to host something like Gameday by next weekend. Services are maxed out. Hotels are full of displaced people and workers coming in to support recovery efforts. Law enforcement has been going non-stop. Interesting thought but not at all practical at this point.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I'm not sure the city of Houston would be ready to host something like Gameday by next weekend. Services are maxed out. Hotels are full of displaced people and workers coming in to support recovery efforts. Law enforcement has been going non-stop. Interesting thought but not at all practical at this point.

I think that is an excellent point. Given the current forecast models on Irma, the same may well be true of Miami by this weekend. GameDay Radio has already announced for Louisville. Louisville may host the TV crew as well almost by default. If you look at the full schedule for that day, there really is a dearth of interesting games.

I think that is an excellent point. Given the current forecast models on Irma, the same may well be true of Miami by this weekend. GameDay Radio has already announced for Louisville. Louisville may host the TV crew as well almost by default. If you look at the full schedule for that day, there really is a dearth of interesting games.

Yep. Hopefully Clemson-UofL gets Gameday on its own merits, but we might get it by default.

I've always wondered whether small-minded people are bitter all the time because they are small-minded, or whether the persistent bitterness leads to small-mindedness. Chicken or egg I guess.

At least, you finally cleaned up those sticks in your yard, WJ. You were bringing down the property values. BTW, are you happy to get rid of that Mazda and how is the view of Waterford?

At least, you finally cleaned up those sticks in your yard, WJ. You were bringing down the property values. BTW, are you happy to get rid of that Mazda and how is the view of Waterford?

Awww ... isn't that so cute? I'll bet your mommy is so proud of you for writing an entire post without a single bad word. Bet she'll really be proud once you are potty trained.

Deener said Tuesday that his ESPN sources are saying U of L-Clemson is 2nd behind Miami-FSU. I guess we'll see if anything changes or how good his sources are...

Deener said Tuesday that his ESPN sources are saying U of L-Clemson is 2nd behind Miami-FSU. I guess we'll see if anything changes or how good his sources are...

Someone on Gameday said there's a great chance we get it if we both are 2-0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT