ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson - Fl. State has become C.F. best annual game

It has been a classic rivalry game for sure. One rivalry that looks to step it up is the Ohio State-Michigan game after a bit of a lackluster period.

Hey... Time for Louisville vs Clemson/FSU to step up. This year should be fun.. but you will need to pick up your recruiting game to sustain it. strange class thus far for you guys.

Really? I'm a little surprised. Just because Clemson has really only gone from the level of being a "good" team, a team that is top 15 to top 35 to a top ten power, in the last 3-4 years or so. FSU went into Clemson and just dominated them during their title year. The last two years are really the first two in which they were tough, hard fought games against two top ten teams. It is a really big game, I just figured they'd vote for a top game that has a longer history of shaping the playoff picture.

I can remember back when the FSU/Miami game was basically the top game every year. Both were always in the top 5. It's amazing that game really has zero national relevance now. It will be interesting to see if Richt gets that program going.

Reactions: Mayoman
Really? I'm a little surprised. Just because Clemson has really only gone from the level of being a "good" team, a team that is top 15 to top 35 to a top ten power, in the last 3-4 years or so. FSU went into Clemson and just dominated them during their title year. The last two years are really the first two in which they were tough, hard fought games against two top ten teams. It is a really big game, I just figured they'd vote for a top game that has a longer history of shaping the playoff picture.

I can remember back when the FSU/Miami game was basically the top game every year. Both were always in the top 5. It's amazing that game really has zero national relevance now. It will be interesting to see if Richt gets that program going.

Yeah, remember those FSU field goals left... right .... right .... left....

Kind of a microwave approach. Up until this year, no one has thought the outcome of the Clemson and FSU game would have major impacts on the national title. It has long been assumed the outcome of Alabama/LSU would (and may again tis year - though I doubt it. LSU still has no QB).

Moreover, I think when you talk about "greatest rivalry" you have to give heavy deference to non-fan interest. It goes without saying fans of the schools have a high interest and you can't really measure that. But, if non-fans of the respective schools bother to watch, it says something. Which rivalry tops that list I can't say. But, for me personally, I have no interest in watching USC/Notre Dame or OSU/Michigan or Texas/Oklahoma. I may change my mind as this season progresses. But there is a reason two of those games are on at noon and the other is on NBC - virtually no one out of those fan bases cares because the games do not really matter anymore.

I am not sure how I would rank the best rivalry. But my criteria would probably be based on the most consistently competitive games - even if one team wins the majority of them. I am not a fan of b-ball, but if I happen to see that UNC and Duke are playing I will usually watch since it is almost always a compelling game. In football, Alabama/LSU comes closest in my mind to fitting that bill. Someone mentioned the Miami/FSU rivalry of the 90's and it certainly fit the bill. Bottom line is I think there has to be some reason for the non-fan to watch. Right now, I am not sure Clemson/FSU reaches that mark.

Hey... Time for Louisville vs Clemson/FSU to step up. This year should be fun.. but you will need to pick up your recruiting game to sustain it. strange class thus far for you guys.
Our classes are always strange, and probably always will be.

We don't have 4-5 star players in our backyard that are just waiting for us to offer.

We've always had to get under rated kids with a chip on their shoulder, bulk and coach them up, mix in our occasional big time recruits, and reap the rewards.

Even if we make the top 15 every year, we'll still have to convince kids to come 400-1000 miles from family and friends, while hometown/state U (FSU, Miami, LSU, Bama, etc) are waving schollys at them.

Tough task to accomplish on a regular basis.

Can't see it. Nothing beats the Iron Bowl when it comes to intensity, outside fan interest and just the atmosphere of the game.

Doesn't matter what either teams record is, anything can happen when Bama and Auburn play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT