ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson fans rushed the field

Uh....actually Clemson does this with every home win...it is one of the best traditions in college football
That's right. Clemson fans have been doing that for years no matter the opponent. When they win, they celebrate on the field with the team, and if you noticed, the fans were very much under control and not mob like at all. It's actually very cool when people behave themselves.

Just so you know, our fans would have "rushed the field" even if we lost.

Unlike virtually everywhere else, our fans go onto the field after EVERY game. The tradition is for the fan base to join the team at the Paw to sing the alma mater, win or lose.

Sure the "rushing" part is a bit more animated after a big win; that's understandable, but it is not unique to this game. Heck our goal post are even lowered to the ground hydrolicly (and guarded) to make the post game experience safer for those who might be a bit too exuberant.

Really, it's pretty awesome. Little kids (and some big ones) get to meet and greet the players and coaches. Autographs are signed. Fathers and sons get to throw footballs to one another on the very field their team just played on.

A minor downside is that unknowing fans and sports reporters always seem to think we are "rushing the field."

Think what you will about the tradition, just understand where it comes from and why our fans are really there.

Last edited:
And for the record, you have an awesome team. Jackson is every bit of what he is hyped to be.

I hope the fans who attended enjoyed the experience despite the loss.

Last edited:

Unlike virtually everywhere else, our fans go onto the field after EVERY game. The tradition is for the fan base to join the team at the Paw to sing the alma mater, win or lose.

Sure the "rushing" part is a bit more animated after a big win; that's understandable, but it is not unique to this game. Heck our goal post are even lowered to the ground hydrolicly (and guarded) to make the post game experience safer for those who might be a bit too exuberant.

Really, it's pretty awesome. Little kids (and some big ones) get to meet and greet the players and coaches. Autographs are signed. Fathers and sons get to throw footballs to one another on the very field their team just played on.

A minor downside is that unknowing fans and sports reporters always seem to think we are "rushing the field."

Think what you will about the tradition, just understand where it comes from and why our fans are really there.

I was aware of that. Cool tradition. This was a rush (I've seen other CU games on TV). You guys rushed the field. I'm pro-field-rushing generally speaking.

I was aware of that. Cool tradition. This was a rush (I've seen other CU games on TV). You guys rushed the field. I'm pro-field-rushing generally speaking.
We were ranked higher, also the betting favorite, plus with FSU losing earlier in the day virtually assures Clemson in the ACC championship. Why not celebrate a big win? I would.

I'm curious how the opposing team and staff are allowed to exit easily with all of the crowd there too. Doesn't that ever present issues? It's not like the opposing team usually wants to join in the celebration...

:cool:

Don't know if it happened last night but Clemson sometimes allows the opposition to walk out up the hill and avoiding fans. Another interesting fact is that Clemson actually allows opposing team fans to rush the field after a win...

I'm curious how the opposing team and staff are allowed to exit easily with all of the crowd there too. Doesn't that ever present issues? It's not like the opposing team usually wants to join in the celebration...

:cool:

Fair question.

Speaking as a fan who has followed the team closely since the late '70's, the only incident I can ever recall is when some undisclosed incident happened that angered NC State's former coach Tom O'Brien.

After that for a brief time, fans were held back for a few minutes in order to give the visiting team an opportunity to depart. Beyond that I have never heard of any issues.

Reactions: tkdcoach
Going on to the field after a football game is an awesome experience. I have taken friends, my wife and kids onto Frank Howard's Field several times. Just a neat experience you don't get to do in a lot of places. Its one of the best traditions besides allowing you to leave and come back into Death Valley. The next time your at a Clemson game I highly recommend these traditions. Ya'll are great fans and are welcome back anytime. Good luck the rest of the season.

Another interesting fact is that Clemson actually allows opposing team fans to rush the field after a win...

The simple truth is that anyone can go onto the field afterwards, Clemson fan or not. There is certainly no check or impediment. Nor will Clemson fans object (of course, we all have our idiots, but generally speaking.)

Card fans should take the opportunity on your next visit. It is a rare treat for most

Some Clemson fans we were talking to talked about the football game is about the students. This makes sense as the football team represents the school and are fellow students. Their student section was alive, loud and filled to the brim. I saw that section begin to surge forward as the final seconds ticked off and it was a great site. UofL needs to embrace the students with our expansion project and not just cater to donors. Our students ability to attend games in a reasonable fashion and for a reasonable price is a joke.

And for the record, you have an awesome team. Jackson is every bit of what he is hyped to be.

I hope the fans who attended enjoyed the experience despite the loss.
Second time to Clemson and appreciate the hospitality! You guys have great environment and tradition. Other than the loss it was a great time. Oh yeah on exception..the drive back to Greenville man that's painful! Didn't get to our hotel until 2:45 AM! Next year it's at our house. Those footsteps you hear well that's just us Cards gaining ground. See you next year!!

The only time I can remember us doing it is the rain soaked FSU game at the Papa in 2002(?). Card fans are usually too busy heading for the parking lot at the end if games. I think the CU practice is cool, but I wonder if there are issues with the playing surface, esp. after a hard rain ( it is grass, right?).

The only time I can remember us doing it is the rain soaked FSU game at the Papa in 2002(?). Card fans are usually too busy heading for the parking lot at the end if games. I think the CU practice is cool, but I wonder if there are issues with the playing surface, esp. after a hard rain ( it is grass, right?).
Yes then but also after the Thursday night win over WVU. I was there and my son was a student then and he was one who rushed the field

That's correct. Fans are "invited to join the players after every home game and meet at the paw." Although the tradition started long before there even was a paw. Win or lose fans are invited on the field.

This.

We actually have a phrase for it..."Meeting at the PAW"...where fans can come onto the field, meet the players at the center of the 50 yard line (the Paw), and sing the alma mater and mingle with the players coaches,

We don't have kids, but I love taking my nephew down there and letting him see the players and throw the football on the field.

I know the OP was aware of our tradition, but I wish more people in the media would do some freaking research before blasting us for being "bush league" for "rushing the field" after winning a game against a lesser opponent (although Louisville was not by any means a lesser opponent)...but again, regardless of the opponent or the outcome of the game, our fans are invited onto the field to meet at the Paw all the same.

A lot of folks argue that it's a sign of a bush league fan base. I tend to disagree. Last night proved that it's more about the excitement level of winning a huge, in this case epic, game.
Clemson has ran on the field since the beginning of time for EVERY GAME! Please get your facts together before looking this bad.

ADVERTISEMENT