ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson Defense: IMPRESSIVE

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
Could very well be better than the D they had last year. 11 sacks against Auburn and Auburn doesn't have a bad O line at all.

High pressure coming from every part of the field. Coach is going to have to spread the field and use a lot of quick hitting plays or their D will control the game.

Their offense is talented, but very young and inexperienced. Our average defense vs their young offense might be a wash, the difference is their D against our less than average O line.

Hope Coach has a whole package of plays for this one or it could be a long game.

Clemson's D was awesome last night. Auburn's O-line - where were they the 2nd half. At least we know what's coming. Some quick crossing, quick outs, screens. One thing seems for sure. Jackson won't have a lot of time in the pocket.

Reactions: zipp
They have the same problem we had until yesterday on offense. There offense is all passing and quarterback runs, they don't have an impressive running back. At least they didn't have a good running game last night and they went to Renfro a lot.
Like all the other teams I can see them trying to isolate Renfro and Trumaine Washington. Their defense is world class that is the only thing about this matchup that worries me. I hope Coach comes up with something to make them pay for blitzing because it is coming. I would love to see some draw plays with M. Williams.

We will find out just how much CBP has held back offensively this year in anticipation of this game. And I hope that Sirmon has some special blitz packages he has kept to use just for this game too.

This coming Saturday's game just may be my most anticipated game ever for the Cards.....it certainly offers up a great stage to make a program statement for CBP, Lamar, and the entire team and program.....and Gameday being there icing on the cake.

Time to 'party on dudes'! There will be plenty of 'thrill in the ville' this game.

Clemson's defense was very impressive. Best I've seen in the ACC and on par with Alabama's defensive IMO.

Next week, points are going to be hard to come by. We can't afford to leave ANY on the field. We owe Clemson big time. Hopefully this time around we can finish and send them home with a loss.

Reactions: zipp and Kratz
Guys, offense scored a lot, moved the ball down the field a lot against Clemson on the road last year. Clemson has a great defense but it isn't like they are much better than last year. Bouleware had something like 18 tackles last year and he's gone.

Auburn hasn't had a offense worth a darn since Cam Newton. Their QB had no chance or ability to make a play against Clemson.

As for the Tigers offense, they will be the least formidable offense the Cards have seen so far. Yes, even Purdue had a more difficult offense to deal with. I'm sure the Tigers will perform better due to the magnitude of this game.

Like last year, the game will come down to who makes the big play near the end of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if the game goes into overtime. My Sunday morning prediction.

Louisville 30
Clemson 27

Guys, offense scored a lot, moved the ball down the field a lot against Clemson on the road last year. Clemson has a great defense but it isn't like they are much better than last year. Bouleware had something like 18 tackles last year and he's gone.

Auburn hasn't had a offense worth a darn since Cam Newton. Their QB had no chance or ability to make a play against Clemson.

As for the Tigers offense, they will be the least formidable offense the Cards have seen so far. Yes, even Purdue had a more difficult offense to deal with. I'm sure the Tigers will perform better due to the magnitude of this game.

Like last year, the game will come down to who makes the big play near the end of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if the game goes into overtime. My Sunday morning prediction.

Louisville 30
Clemson 27
Agree with the first part but not the 2nd.
Clemson's offense, while not a team strength has a heck of a lot more talent than Purdue. Purdue has no running game and zero players that would start for Clemson, Jeff Brohm's greatness aside. Also, Auburn has a big boy defense that is going to make a lot of offenses look bad.

Should be another nail biter.

Clemson fan here. This game will be played in the 20s IMO. Our defense is legit but Lamar is special. He will run around and make things happen even if it is covered. I also know our offense played close to vest last night once we got a lead. Kelly is a very good runner and has been a decent passer so far. Should be a great game. Think it is getting moved to 8 pm

Clemson defense is very impressive. No knock on Clemson but I think it's still a little early to tell how good they really are on defense. Two games in Death Valley against Kent St and Auburn. We know Clemson is tough and will be the best defense the Cards have faced this season, but Auburn and Kent St. Auburn has no offense and Kent St... well is Kent St. This will be this Clemson team's toughest test to date as well.

Cards have to make Clemson pay for playing over aggressive on defense. They love to dial up pressure on D. Cards have to make them pay for it.

The short game and run game will be huge in my opinion especially early.

The atmosphere should be electric.

Clemson defense is very impressive. No knock on Clemson but I think it's still a little early to tell how good they really are on defense. Two games in Death Valley against Kent St and Auburn. We know Clemson is tough and will be the best defense the Cards have faced this season, but Auburn and Kent St. Auburn has no offense and Kent St... well is Kent St. This will be this Clemson team's toughest test to date as well.

Cards have to make Clemson pay for playing over aggressive on defense. They love to dial up pressure on D. Cards have to make them pay for it.

The short game and run game will be huge in my opinion especially early.

The atmosphere should be electric.
I'm going by what my eyes saw last nite Clemson defensive boys are physically big and fast. And without a doubt Auburn o-line is light years in skill and size better than ours and they got manhandled up front. Our center is a freshman and on the smaller size and struggling so far these first two games against lesser defensive fronts. Gonna take a total team efffort of playing smart football plain and simple to include coaching. To win. Clemson will probably be 2.5 favorite

I'm going by what my eyes saw last nite Clemson defensive boys are physically big and fast. And without a doubt Auburn o-line is light years in skill and size better than ours and they got manhandled up front. Our center is a freshman and on the smaller size and struggling so far these first two games against lesser defensive fronts. Gonna take a total team efffort of playing smart football plain and simple to include coaching. To win. Clemson will probably be 2.5 favorite

True

I'm not so sure Aubie is so great on OL. Overall, Malzhan, who supposedly is an offensive genius, has had pretty mediocre offenses at AU. And don't sell our OL short. They are not last year's line. They are playing a lot better.

Could very well be better than the D they had last year. 11 sacks against Auburn and Auburn doesn't have a bad O line at all.

High pressure coming from every part of the field. Coach is going to have to spread the field and use a lot of quick hitting plays or their D will control the game.

Their offense is talented, but very young and inexperienced. Our average defense vs their young offense might be a wash, the difference is their D against our less than average O line.

Hope Coach has a whole package of plays for this one or it could be a long game.
Was Clemson's D really that good or was it the lackluster Auburn Offense making them look better than they really are? Seems I remember hearing how good their D was last year and Lamar and company pushed them around like rag dolls on their home field....at night.

Last night the crew doing the game said Auburn's O-line was suspect. They aren't near as dominant up front as other SEC schools. I would hope we take advantage of Clemson over pursuing and throw a lot of screens where we let the D line through and dump it over the top to block with numbers against the second level.

Reactions: Mayoman
Last night the crew doing the game said Auburn's O-line was suspect. They aren't near as dominant up front as other SEC schools. I would hope we take advantage of Clemson over pursuing and throw a lot of screens where we let the D line through and dump it over the top to block with numbers against the second level.
lol what the hell do you call our line then?11 sacks on a suspect line tells me enough and we t have a suspect one also! Anyhow they going too have to play strong and smart regardless.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
lol what the hell do you call our line then?11 sacks on a suspect line tells me enough and we t have a suspect one also! Anyhow they going too have to play strong and smart regardless.
Pass protection has been fairly good through 2 games, but I am sure their D-line will give us fits. If we give up 11 sacks I would be surprised though. That is just horrible. It's gonna take a great game from the line to win. Hopefully they have it in them.

Vegas say us +3.

So we play perfectly, and they make a mistake or two = we win. Maybe > 10

If we mumble dick around...................no comment. :confused:

Clemson fan here. I think that this game is going to be pretty much like last year. Remember, Clemson's offense had a POOR showing against UL. Sure, we scored, but we also turned the ball over 5 freaking times. It took a lucky defensive stop to save that game. You simply can't turn the ball over that much and expect to win.

Our defense held Jackson pretty much in check during the 1st half (as much as anyone can hold the best player in College Football down). But the offense going brain dead in the 3rd quarter gave you guys new life. You just CAN'T give Jackson that many chances to beat you, because he's going to find a way. And once your defense starts to get tired, it's basically over...

I like Clemson's chances here IF the offense can perform and NOT turn the ball over. First team to 30 wins.

Reactions: zipp and JohnCard28

Louisville 30
Clemson 27

Oh Lawd

Clemson's defense is impressive but the Cards were able to move the ball on them last year in Death Valley once they settled in. This offense has weapons including the most dangerous one... the QB.

Here's what i think we will see on offense (some of this the Cards did last year against Clemson):

- The Short Game - make Clemson pay for being overaggressive and overpursuing to stop the run.
- Get the ball out quick (quick crossing routes, getting the ball out to the flats, screen game)
- Spread Clemson's defense out
- Read Option - Decision making here is crucial LJ has to make the right decisions here.
- Move the pocket, Misdirection and Hurry-Up (not sure how much of this they can actually do with this OL)

If the Cards can establish any type of run game, it will be a long night for Clemson's defense.

We know that LJ is special, but Saturday night I think we all find out just how special this kid is. You know that Clemson will give the Cards some looks and pressure they have not shown. How well do the Cards adjust? The chess match here will be interesting to watch.

I truly think this game comes down to the Cards defense and getting crucial stops to end drives and giving the offense decent field position to work with. I really think the Cards defense shows up in this one and plays well enough to get crucial stops. You can never forget about the true x factors, Special Teams and turnovers.

I'm not so sure Aubie is so great on OL. Overall, Malzhan, who supposedly is an offensive genius, has had pretty mediocre offenses at AU. And don't sell our OL short. They are not last year's line. They are playing a lot better.

Auburn is not great on the OL. They are a solid P5 OL - far from great. 11 sacks against a P5 team is respectable regardless. And Stidham is athletic. Not in the same stratosphere as Jackson as far as athleticism obviously, so Clemson is going to defend UL totally differently up front. Much more stress will be put on containment this week. The ends were much more aggressive against Stidham, knowing they were athletic enough to track him down if he broke contain. That will not be the case with Jackson. And as far as last week goes, I think a number of those sacks can be attributed to coverage and Malzahn calling way too many slow developing downfield plays. Clemson is significantly more athletic at LB and in the secondary than they have been in a few years. While I think the front played well, they benefited a lot from good play on the back end.

LOL, basketball season is looking better!!

What a butt whipping.

Senore, you talked a lot of smack on the Clemson boards this week. You and Laurelcardinal and some other Louisville fan named Beaux something or other. Go over there and take your medicine.

!!!!!! we are just not on their level plain and simple we lost too many defensive players this past season to even be on the field with them.And as i said in another thread i thought Clemson defense this year was better than e one they had last season. we got our butts handed to us .

I hope Lamar Jackson will be finished with his college eligibility after this year. I'm tired of seeing him slither and slash through our defense when it looked certain we had him bottled up. I am still lost trying to figure going way back in my following college football to find someone that is so hard to get tackled. Yet I will say much of his stats came late in the 3rd quarter and early in the forth quarter against second and third team players when, prior to mass substitutions, Louisville had just over 200 yards and seven points. I like the having Clemson's defense ranked statistically high in the nation, and was quite angry when Dabo started mass substitutions when Louisville still had their starters in, thereby allowing a bunch of yards, but I came to my senses realizing that this was for the better good in the long run.

I hope Lamar Jackson will be finished with his college eligibility after this year. I'm tired of seeing him slither and slash through our defense when it looked certain we had him bottled up. I am still lost trying to figure going way back in my following college football to find someone that is so hard to get tackled. Yet I will say much of his stats came late in the 3rd quarter and early in the forth quarter against second and third team players when, prior to mass substitutions, Louisville had just over 200 yards and seven points. I like the having Clemson's defense ranked statistically high in the nation, and was quite angry when Dabo started mass substitutions when Louisville still had their starters in, thereby allowing a bunch of yards, but I came to my senses realizing that this was for the better good in the long run.

Although this is true about his stats last night as far as gaining yards under your 2 and 3 string player and that should be noted. Also be mindful that our OL is highly inexperienced going against your D line one if not the best. We have two freshman starting and one of them at center. Wonder how he would do behind an experienced line? I suspect pretty darn good. So it's easy to discount his lack of performance but 1) Darn good defense 2) Very inexperienced OL

Although this is true about his stats last night as far as gaining yards under your 2 and 3 string player and that should be noted. Also be mindful that our OL is highly inexperienced going against your D line one if not the best. We have two freshman starting and one of them at center. Wonder how he would do behind an experienced line? I suspect pretty darn good. So it's easy to discount his lack of performance but 1) Darn good defense 2) Very inexperienced OL

His OL last year wasn't much better. He was just harrassed all night long, hurried throws, and didn't have as many lanes to run in as he did last year.

Their QB is weak. We definitely have an advantage in this game. They have the world's best defense, we have the world's greatest player.
Bwahahahaha.

If I was an attention whore, I would relish this. Am I being punished???

Man, Bryant was a Boss last night.

Clemson lost a ton of seniors - and juniors who came out early - off the 2015 team that came within a play or 3 of the national title. So their unit in 2016 was young and had to be carried by their offense at times ... of course it could also be said that they bailed out their offense a few times too such as the Auburn game. But this year, instead of being a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year players, they are 3rd and 4th year. Clemson's OL was very inexperienced last year too

Everyone was thinking that Clemson would take a step back because they lost Watson, Gallman, Williams, Scott and Leggett from offense. But they ignored that Clemson was getting almost their entire defense - save Boulware who went undrafted and is currently without an NFL team - as well as their OL back, and also had Deion Cain and Hunter Renfrow back at WR. So while they have fewer star players, they are actually a better top to bottom team than they were in 2016. Not saying that they will win the title this year or even get back to the playoffs, because having those star players did win a lot of games for them in 2015 and 2016.

Reactions: ClemTigers83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT