ADVERTISEMENT

Chances Jackson comes back?

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
Before the season I said absolutely zero. As of now it's not zero. Not high but not zero. I really liked the announcers in yesterdays game. They broke down his game better than I've seen any announcers do.

They talked about his obvious strengths, his perceived weaknesses and his actual needs for improvement. The one guy kept saying "Someone is going to give him a shot to play QB in the NFL"

To me that was a very telling statement. He's admitting that he's hearing a lot of teams have no interest in him at QB but would love to try him at another position.

We know he wants to play QB. That's why he chose Louisville: Petrino promised he was bringing him on as a QB.

He's a phenomenal athlete with a great work ethic. However, his passing game still needs work. I'm beginning to think he might test the draft, get a whole lot of "we'd love for you to play ______ position". It'll piss him off and he'll come back here to improve his passing game. (Plus get to play against mighty Bama).

Slim chance I'll admit, but I think it's there if that's the way most NFL teams feel about him.

I'd be shocked if he came back.
That means Pass would probably transfer.
Malik is similar to Lamar I believe.
Don't know about the other QBs.

From some statements Lamar made last year and during this past off season I don't get the feeling that he is in a big hurry to get to the NFL. I think he understands how important it is that he be NFL ready when he gets there. I think he also understands the importance of being a first round draft pick in terms of what he will get paid over the next 4 years. So I think it will come down to 1) Does he feel he is ready 2) Is there a high likelihood he will be a 1st round draft pick. As far as #1 goes only Lamar knows that answer. As for # 2, last week Matt Willinger randomly looked at 3 NFL mock drafts and only 1 of the 3 had LJ being drafted in the 1st round. Of course a lot can change between now and when LJ will need to declare. The NFL does not put a lot of value in the running ability of a QB because running QBs do not last long in the NFL. They do value allusiveness, being able to extend a play like Russell Wilson. On the 1 handed TD catch by Smith LJ demonstrated this skill by side stepping a rusher with a few quick steps and then delivering the pass. There is a process where players can inquire of the NFL about their draft status. UL does this for all interested players. If that comes back as probable first round pick I think he is gone. If its questionable that he will be a first round pick it would not surprise me to see him return.

I would be stunned if he returned for his senior year.

Hope I get stunned. :D

Would love to see Lamar get drafted by the Packers and see him face off with Teddy twice a year.

Before the season I said absolutely zero. As of now it's not zero. Not high but not zero. I really liked the announcers in yesterdays game. They broke down his game better than I've seen any announcers do.

They talked about his obvious strengths, his perceived weaknesses and his actual needs for improvement. The one guy kept saying "Someone is going to give him a shot to play QB in the NFL"

To me that was a very telling statement. He's admitting that he's hearing a lot of teams have no interest in him at QB but would love to try him at another position.

We know he wants to play QB. That's why he chose Louisville: Petrino promised he was bringing him on as a QB.

He's a phenomenal athlete with a great work ethic. However, his passing game still needs work. I'm beginning to think he might test the draft, get a whole lot of "we'd love for you to play ______ position". It'll piss him off and he'll come back here to improve his passing game. (Plus get to play against mighty Bama).

Slim chance I'll admit, but I think it's there if that's the way most NFL teams feel about him.

Actually the NFL does view Jackson as a QB....he is rumored to be flying up the Draft boards as a QB...One NFL Executive said in a interview why would he go back to school...he could work on his craft -(like 10th Overall Pick in 2017 QB Patrick Mahomes) is doing in Kansas City

Fully expect him to go in the Top 10

Last edited:
Reactions: Cue Card
He has shown much improvement in his passing game and with his decision making. The throws to Dawkins and Smith for TDS yesterday were right on the mark. The fact that Dae Williams is running and running well has helped take pressure off LJ. That alone will help him improve his passing. Teams cannot just focus on LJ. He’s gone plus he can’t risk what happened to Bush. That day made me sick for Bush. I don’t want to see that happen to LJ.

Not sold on Pass as the heir apparent. I'm hopeful Malik Cunningham comes out of Spring as the #1 QB.

I'd say about 70% he comes back. He wants to play QB. His best shot is come back for another year. I think that's the advise he'll get from his NFL feedback.

He's gone. The NFL has enough tape on him to evaluate him as a QB. There's nothing more a year of college is going to give him or the NFL scouts. From what I've read most have him as a top 50 pick and that's certainly good enough to leave.

I love Lamar and truly consider him probably the best player to ever suit up for UL. That said, I do not think he is coming back, nor should he. Am I the only one who thinks this team depends TOO much on him, especially the O line and defense? The O Line last year broke down many times in anticipation of him leaving the pocket-the defense has the mindset, like many of us, that he can basically score at will. I just think that there is too much of a spotlight on him, to the detriment of the other players and team unity. I think Bobby contributed greatly to this. Pass is much more of a traditional quarterback, and I think it will be easier to build a team around him. I think the Lamar show is about to end, as it should, with him going in the first round. Football is about the team, not stars-Lamar has always shown himself to be team player-I just think we need more focus on the team, and not one individual.

Sorry...the NFL sees him as a QB...One NFL Executive said Jackson is DeShaun Watson with better wheels....
We'll see. I disagree. He's probably my favorite Card ever but I really think he could use another year. Of course, if he's a 1st rounder he should go but I've watched a lot of NFL in my life and I think he'll be rated in the 2-3 range. It's not a knock on him he's only really ran a full playbook this year. Of course, we all know about the freshman sandlot playbook he ran. Last year he was awesome but he still didn't take many snaps under center and had a below average completion percentage. This year he's improved both but I just think having another year will fine tune his game. There are so many QB busts every year and a lot of times its because the player isn't ready and nothing beats game experience. I think Pass fits what I would prefer the Petrino offense look like anyways so i'm fine either way. A superstar in the NFL from UofL could help the future more than any contribution Lamar makes on the field here. Other factors are he's a slim guy and as you may remember from Teddy his frame dropped him to the last pick of the 1st round.

We'll see. I disagree. He's probably my favorite Card ever but I really think he could use another year. Of course, if he's a 1st rounder he should go but I've watched a lot of NFL in my life and I think he'll be rated in the 2-3 range. It's not a knock on him he's only really ran a full playbook this year. Of course, we all know about the freshman sandlot playbook he ran. Last year he was awesome but he still didn't take many snaps under center and had a below average completion percentage. This year he's improved both but I just think having another year will fine tune his game. There are so many QB busts every year and a lot of times its because the player isn't ready and nothing beats game experience. I think Pass fits what I would prefer the Petrino offense look like anyways so i'm fine either way. A superstar in the NFL from UofL could help the future more than any contribution Lamar makes on the field here. Other factors are he's a slim guy and as you may remember from Teddy his frame dropped him to the last pick of the 1st round.

Not me....NFL ppl are saying this...they are loving the improvement from the pocket he has shown this year...plus QB get pushed up...this time last year Texas Tech Pat Mahomes was considered a 3rd Rounder...his arm talent similar to Jackson got him picked Top 10 overall..also DeShaun Watson did him a huge favor with his play

It would be a huge mistake to come back. You got to strike while the iron is hot, and his iron is cooling for whatever the reason. There's money to be made as a Heisman winner. He'll likely hire representation days after this season is over. Probably already has them lined up. I don't know how his pro career will unfold. But, he's physically gifted to play any skill position.

Not sold on Pass as the heir apparent. I'm hopeful Malik Cunningham comes out of Spring as the #1 QB.
It’s Pass’s job to lose. Personally, I think he’ll be a very talented QB. I want to see him get valuable minutes though. Hoping we can romp one of the teams we play in our next 3 games and that he gets some playing time against good teams. I know it’s Murray and Kent State, but he just looked comfortable throwing from the pocket. Dropped many of his throws right in the bucket. That is huge against teams with strong secondaries.

I just want whatever is best for this very gifted young man. There is a lot of injured qbs in NFL. Also aging qbs. So if Lamar wants it, he will get it and he will succeed. TG we got 3 yrs of his awesome entertainment.

Reactions: SoulSr
Depends a bit on who else comes out. I’m not sure how good this quarterback class is. Will the kid from Mississippi State come out? Darnold? UCLA? A lot of variables. Coming out at the wrong time could cost him millions.

Depends a bit on who else comes out. I’m not sure how good this quarterback class is. Will the kid from Mississippi State come out? Darnold? UCLA? A lot of variables. Coming out at the wrong time could cost him millions.

Look for 4 to maybe as high as 7 QB being taken in the 1st Round...
QB Sam Darnold USC
QB Josh Rosen UCLA
QB Lamar Jackson Louisville
QB Baker Mayfield Oklahoma
QB Ryan Finley NC State
QB Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State
QB Josh Allen Wyoming

It's a loaded class thats for sure. If LJ can be a 1st or 2nd round pick he needs to go. Selfishly I want him back but in reality he needs to make all the $$$ he can and not take a chance on getting hurt in college. For the last two years I've held my breath every single time he runs with the ball.

Reactions: PHCARD
It's all about $$$ now for LJ. He needs to tell the NFL to draft me as high as possible for any position they want him to play...

It's all about $$$ now for LJ. He needs to tell the NFL to draft me as high as possible for any position they want him to play...

So did Tim Tebow, but Tebow insisted on QB only. That's why he's an analyst now. Several teams offered him to try out at different positions, mostly TE. He said no to all.

IMO Jackson will be the same way. It's common knowledge that he chose UofL because Petrino was the only coach that guaranteed he would play QB. Most other schools wanted him for different positions.

Lamar Jackson is healthy and injury free. He is in his prime and now is his best chance for wealth and a good life. He has to put himself first over Louisville football. I for one thank him for all he has done for us, Now it is time for him to do for his family and Lamar.

Reactions: SoulSr
So did Tim Tebow, but Tebow insisted on QB only. That's why he's an analyst now. Several teams offered him to try out at different positions, mostly TE. He said no to all.

IMO Jackson will be the same way. It's common knowledge that he chose UofL because Petrino was the only coach that guaranteed he would play QB. Most other schools wanted him for different positions.

Here is the rub....the NFL currently sees him as a 1st Round QB...they don’t see him at any other position...his only main concern is what will be his weight and measurements at the NFL Combine. They love his arm talent and athletic ability. This is from Walter Football which is the Football version of NBADraft.net...They have him going Top 2 to the Cleveland Browns.

Jackson has a great athletic skill set, including a powerful arm that can make all throws the NFL requires and some rare passes. While his tremendous running ability gets a lot of attention, Jackson is better passing from the pocket than he is given credit for. Jackson will take some shots and deliver good passes in the face of the rush. He also handles Bobby Petrino's scheme well. Jackson can be inconsistent with his accuracy, and he needs to add weight to his frame for the NFL. He also needs to develop maturity in his leadership skills as he can be of one of the guys too much.

Jackson (6-3, 205) set college football on fire in 2016 while winning the Heisman Trophy. He was a massive point-producer for the Cardinals. Jackson completed 56 percent of his passes for 3,543 yards with 30 touchdowns and nine interceptions on the year. He also ran for 21 touchdowns and 1,571 yards while averaging six yards per carry.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018charlie.php#ixzz4yPcWMCq3

And this from Pro Football Focus-(which is used by and have connections to many NFL Franchises)..Going 5th Overall to the NY Jets...

5. NEW YORK JETS
QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville
Quarterbacks continue to come off the board as the Jets look to shore up their future with Jackson, who has improved as a passer every year in college. He also has dynamic athleticism, leading to the top rushing grade in college football over the last two years, and while he’s not the most accurate quarterback on a throw-for-throw basis, Jackson has shown the ability to make big-time throws into NFL windows, and that’s enough to build an offense around at the next level.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-2018-nfl-mock-draft-1

CBS Sports Top Draft Eligible QB Lamar Jackson is #2....

2. Lamar Jackson, Louisville
Stock Up, Slightly

A stat line of 15 completions on 26 attempts, 195 passing yards and three passing touchdowns isn't earth shattering, but Jackson was superb against a pesky Virginia club. He displayed impeccable touch on two touchdown passes, and pro-level pocket management on one of those strikes. Some of his incompletions were overthrows and forces down the middle of the field, but I'd like to take a moment to discuss something else, which I never thought I'd need to -- Jackson's running ability.

There seems to be an obsession over his development as a passer, but the guy is seriously a more controlled Mike Vick as a scrambler, and despite Vick's accuracy issues in the NFL, the guy, especially early in his pro career, was unstoppable running the football. Jackson had 147 yards on 15 carries, which included a super-easy 68-yard score against the Cavaliers. Most of his running production will translate to the NFL level. It's an aspect of his game, that, somehow, is being sort of being overlooked.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...mayfield-headlines-big-day-for-top-prospects/

Last edited:
If he's a first rounder he should go.

But remember, Teddy Bridgewater was going to be "the first QB" taken, and was this and that, and came within an inch of the 2nd rd.

LJ can't believe what these talking heads say. They want these kids to come out so there is as much talent available as possible. Period. Then they can pick and choose the way they want to.

Nobody is going to guarantee LJ he will be their #1 pick. They may tell him that. But doing it is another thing.

IF he wants to be the first QB taken, he should come back. If he just wants/needs the money, and will play anywhere, he should go. And I can't blame him.

But he needs to choose carefully. I hope he gets sound advice.

Reactions: wilkie01
So did Tim Tebow, but Tebow insisted on QB only. That's why he's an analyst now. Several teams offered him to try out at different positions, mostly TE. He said no to all...
Not sure you understood my comment... If I was LJ, I would NOT tell the NFL that I will only play QB. Esp. if someone will draft me higher and pay more money at another position.

Personally, I think that's a crapshoot for an NFL team trying it. Lamar has never taken a snap at any other position. But if someone's willing to take that risk, I wouldn't turn down the $$$. A better strategy IMO would be to try him at QB and move him as a fallback option...

Reactions: wilkie01
If he's a first rounder he should go.

But remember, Teddy Bridgewater was going to be "the first QB" taken, and was this and that, and came within an inch of the 2nd rd.

LJ can't believe what these talking heads say.

But he needs to choose carefully. I hope he gets sound advice.

Very true on the talking head part. I especially remember Mike Mayock badmouthing Teddy saying that he's a 3rd round QB at best. Rookie of the year and Pro Bowl before his injury didn't shut Mayock up at all. He's still getting paid by NBC (who knows why) for his draft opinions.

Right.He's maybe the most explosive football runner carrying the football.Whether he makes it at qb,if I'm coaching,I'd want him on the field somewhere.

Right.He's maybe the most explosive football runner carrying the football.Whether he makes it at qb,if I'm coaching,I'd want him on the field somewhere.
Yep, he's one of the safest picks in the Draft if he goes in with a totally open mind. He's a world class athlete, and the only guy who can screw himself up. And I don't think he will do that...

Reactions: gocds
Tim Tebow was never an NFL qb. And I disagree with those that say Lamar Jackson also is not an NFL qb. He will go high in the draft and he will get serious money for his efforts. Maybe somewhere down the road he’ll be playing at another position but not before he gets a serious chance as a qb. Playing for Bobby Petrino is not child’s play and he will benefit.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I quit making absolute predictions when Brian Brohm failed, and Teddy was the 3rd (?) QB taken.

And I disagree with those that say Lamar Jackson also is not an NFL qb.
As do I.Depending on where he lands,he may get to start sooner than later,but if the situation dictates that he's behind someone for a couple of years or so,will that coach leave him on the sidelines?It's interesting,to say the least...
He may be the most electrifying runner at any level...right now.

Post game remarks by Lamar pretty much tell the story, i.e., he's gone. But it sounds like him playing in the bowl game is a possibility...

ADVERTISEMENT