ADVERTISEMENT

Cards WBB add Engstler, Hall

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Jeff Walz has looked into the NCAA WBB transfer portal, cast his net into the deep waters and come out with two keepers.

Emily Engstler joins the squad after three seasons at Syracuse, Chelsie Hall the last four seasons at Vanderbilt.

Engstler, a 6-foot-1 guard from New York, N.Y., started all 31 games for the Orange as a sophomore prior to coming off the bench as a junior last season and earning ACC Co-Sixth Player of the Year honors.

As a junior, she nearly averaged a double-double with 10.5 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. She had 12 double-digit scoring games and seven double-doubles last season. She finished with a season-high 21 points, while adding 10 rebounds in the ACC Tournament matchup against Louisville. She also had 16 points, 11 rebounds and a steal on 7-14 shooting % against the Cards as the team debut their first ever #1 ranking.

Engstler was named the 2018 New York State Gatorade Player of the Year and a McDonald's All-American.

"We are thrilled to add such a talented player and quality person to our roster. Emily is one of the top rebounders and shot blockers in the country," said head coach Jeff Walz. "Emily's versatility, size and strength will be a huge addition to our team. Her passing, basketball IQ and toughness will be contagious. We are looking forward to getting her on campus and beginning her new journey in a Cardinal uniform."

"I'm grateful to be given a new opportunity during this time in my life," said Engstler. "I hope for a new beginning that's filled with hope and much to celebrate."

Chelsie Hall is a 5-foot-7 guard from Boca Raton, Fla. She spent the last four seasons at Vanderbilt. She was named to the SEC All-Freshman team in 2017-18 after starting all 31 games and averaging 11.9 points and 3.5 rebounds during her rookie campaign. During that rookie season, she played at the KFC Yum! Center with Vanderbilt, finishing with 16 points, three rebounds and two assists.

As a junior, she started all 30 games and was named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll after leading the team in free throw percentage (.813), assists (117) and minutes (972). Her 3.9 assists per game ranked eighth in the SEC. She averaged 10.6 points per game and reached double-figures in 18 games, including two 20-point performances.

In 2020-21, Hall started all eight games of Vanderbilt's shortened season. She reached 1,000 career points on January 10 against Alabama.

"We are excited to announce the addition of graduate transfer Chelsie Hall from Vanderbilt. Chelsie is a consummate floor general who is poised and plays with great pace," said Walz. "She is a seasoned SEC guard who has started all four years for the Commodores. She brings with her a career positive assist-to-turnover ratio and she is a 1,000-point scorer."

"I am grateful and excited for this new journey," said Hall. "I can't wait to be a part of this special program."

So, two veteran, experienced and productive additions to a squad that (so far) loses just Dana Evans. I consulted with the gang over at Cardinal Couple on the possible ramifications and effect of having a 15 players roster.

First, it gives Walz plenty of options. The competition this summer and fall to see who takes Dana's sopt in the starting lineup should be intense, competitive and fun to watch. As we saw against Stanford, length and height is good in a basketball team and Engstler certainly adds that at guard. Being able to hit from outside also helps and Hall has shown she can do that.

And, as Paulie brought up...Walz may not be done fishing yet.

We do not yet know whether any on the current Louisville roster are contemplating a move in the transfer portal. We've seen it in past years, and, Walz himself mentioned that height was the reason they fell to Stanford. Obviously, Schetnan at 6'5" will help in that area, but -- is there a 6'5" or taller out there that might want 1-2 years with a program that constantly competes and wins the ACC regular season and is a top 10 program? And, Verhulst is a tall guard at 6'1" with length and considered the best on Kansas's best high school squad. You're going to love her game.

There is strength in numbers. Big numbers are a good thing. It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

--sonja--

Yes it will. Ultimately not everyone can play significant minutes. Ramani showed up late in the season and provided quality time. Will she provide any more than that? My guess is no; but that isn’t a bad thing IMO. Is it enough for her...IDK. All the others saw a good amount of floor time. Russell, only being a FR, didn’t see to s of time; however, i think she is tough and can play inside. This will be interesting to follow.

Jeff Walz has looked into the NCAA WBB transfer portal, cast his net into the deep waters and come out with two keepers.

Emily Engstler joins the squad after three seasons at Syracuse, Chelsie Hall the last four seasons at Vanderbilt.

Engstler, a 6-foot-1 guard from New York, N.Y., started all 31 games for the Orange as a sophomore prior to coming off the bench as a junior last season and earning ACC Co-Sixth Player of the Year honors.

As a junior, she nearly averaged a double-double with 10.5 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. She had 12 double-digit scoring games and seven double-doubles last season. She finished with a season-high 21 points, while adding 10 rebounds in the ACC Tournament matchup against Louisville. She also had 16 points, 11 rebounds and a steal on 7-14 shooting % against the Cards as the team debut their first ever #1 ranking.

Engstler was named the 2018 New York State Gatorade Player of the Year and a McDonald's All-American.

"We are thrilled to add such a talented player and quality person to our roster. Emily is one of the top rebounders and shot blockers in the country," said head coach Jeff Walz. "Emily's versatility, size and strength will be a huge addition to our team. Her passing, basketball IQ and toughness will be contagious. We are looking forward to getting her on campus and beginning her new journey in a Cardinal uniform."

"I'm grateful to be given a new opportunity during this time in my life," said Engstler. "I hope for a new beginning that's filled with hope and much to celebrate."

Chelsie Hall is a 5-foot-7 guard from Boca Raton, Fla. She spent the last four seasons at Vanderbilt. She was named to the SEC All-Freshman team in 2017-18 after starting all 31 games and averaging 11.9 points and 3.5 rebounds during her rookie campaign. During that rookie season, she played at the KFC Yum! Center with Vanderbilt, finishing with 16 points, three rebounds and two assists.

As a junior, she started all 30 games and was named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll after leading the team in free throw percentage (.813), assists (117) and minutes (972). Her 3.9 assists per game ranked eighth in the SEC. She averaged 10.6 points per game and reached double-figures in 18 games, including two 20-point performances.

In 2020-21, Hall started all eight games of Vanderbilt's shortened season. She reached 1,000 career points on January 10 against Alabama.

"We are excited to announce the addition of graduate transfer Chelsie Hall from Vanderbilt. Chelsie is a consummate floor general who is poised and plays with great pace," said Walz. "She is a seasoned SEC guard who has started all four years for the Commodores. She brings with her a career positive assist-to-turnover ratio and she is a 1,000-point scorer."

"I am grateful and excited for this new journey," said Hall. "I can't wait to be a part of this special program."

So, two veteran, experienced and productive additions to a squad that (so far) loses just Dana Evans. I consulted with the gang over at Cardinal Couple on the possible ramifications and effect of having a 15 players roster.

First, it gives Walz plenty of options. The competition this summer and fall to see who takes Dana's sopt in the starting lineup should be intense, competitive and fun to watch. As we saw against Stanford, length and height is good in a basketball team and Engstler certainly adds that at guard. Being able to hit from outside also helps and Hall has shown she can do that.

We do not yet know whether any on the current Louisville roster are contemplating a move in the transfer portal. We've seen it in past years, and, Walz himself mentioned that height was the reason they fell to Stanford. Obviously, Schetnan at 6'5" will help in that area, but -- is there a 6'5" or taller out there that might want 1-2 years with a program that constantly competes and wins the ACC regular season and is a top 10 program? And, Verhulst is a tall guard at 6'1" with length and considered the best on Kansas's best high school squad. You're going to love her game.

There is strength in numbers. Big numbers are a good thing. It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

--sonja--
He needs to grab a 5 from somewhere.

I’d love to see Cochran play the 4. Along with a quality 5 that would be a tough inside combo. We saw it some this year when she and Liz played at the same time

--sonja--

Thanks Sonja, and great everyone recognizes we need some height.

I think height on the front court is what did us in. We will have plenty of height next year if we have good team chemistry and we can get everyone to do their part we could be better than this year.

KozmasAgain: I confess that most everyone, including CJW, join you in assigning lack of inside height as reason for our loss to Stanford, and clearly the Cardinal enjoyed a significant size advantage over our 4 Guard rotation. However, it does not explain our 1st half domination with the same size disadvantage.

If height is the key to success, why did Jeff not insert 6’4” Parker in the game along side Dixon and Cochran?

While I think it plays a part..:it didn’t cost us the game. Stanford got themselves open for 3s. Plus - they started hitting them at an alarming pace. Rebounding? Must block out and get yourself i to rebounding position- period.

While I think it plays a part..:it didn’t cost us the game. Stanford got themselves open for 3s. Plus - they started hitting them at an alarming pace. Rebounding? Must block out and get yourself i to rebounding position- period.
And you don’t think the lack of height didn’t hurt us with rebounding. Problem is there bigs weren’t just big they were more athletics then ours. That amount of size (Battling it wears on you) and it took its toll on us. Then they inserted the one big late can’t remember her name. She was fresh and was hitting from everywhere. The announcers called it. They said Stanford’s offense moves the ball around and there so large they work for mismatch’s. In the second half they found them. In this case size got us. Oregon had it too, but they weren’t athletic. Stanford has it. They’re athletic.

And you don’t think the lack of height didn’t hurt us with rebounding. Problem is there bigs weren’t just big they were more athletics then ours. That amount of size (Battling it wears on you) and it took its toll on us. Then they inserted the one big late can’t remember her name. She was fresh and was hitting from everywhere. The announcers called it. They said Stanford’s offense moves the ball around and there so large they work for mismatch’s. In the second half they found them. In this case size got us. Oregon had it too, but they weren’t athletic. Stanford has it. They’re athletic.
Let's look at Stanford three leading rebounders in the game. Lexie Hull had nine. She's six-foot-even. Haley Jones had 10 -- she's 6'1" and Francesca Belibi had seven, at 6'1" . Height was not the deciding factor in rebounding. Hustle was. We got 8 second chance points, Stanford had 23.

--sonja--

Reactions: Deeva and Bardman
Bingo, we have a winner! It is not the size, it is the talented and athletic size that has been the difference. Prechtel is the 6’5” Stanford player who came off the bench in the second half and went 6 for 6, of which 3 of 3 were 3 point shots. We too have 6’4” Ramani Parker reserve, but she did not come off the bench, because she does not have the same level of skill to contribute a 3 for 3 3-point performance.

Jeff played the 4 guard lineup because it gave us the best chance to win. Dixon and Cochran are both tall and have skill; just not capable of contributing at the same level as some of our opponents like NCST and Stanford with talented inside players.

Reactions: vivid_red
I also thought we used so much energy on defense we struggled on offense in the 2nd half. Quite a few of our shots in the 2nd half were hitting the front of the rim. It was multiple players that were coming up short. I really like what CJW has put together for next year. I think we can make a deeper run next year.
The top 10 teams lose multiple key players with the exception of Louisville and UConn. Both UConn and Louisville have most of their team back and both teams are bringing in some more top players to add to their talent. I really hope we play UConn during the regular season next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT