ADVERTISEMENT

Cards vs Va. Tech preview

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
#2 Louisville women's basketball travels to Blacksburg, VA for tonight's game against Kenny Brooks 6-2 Virginia Tech Hokies. It's a 8 p.m. tip and will be available on RSN. For some, that translates out to Fox Sports South.

It's the Cards first road game since they defeated Duke 73-49 back on Dec. 9th.

Virginia Tech is led by 6'5" sophomore forward Elizabeth Kitley, who leads the team with 18.8 points, 12 rebounds per game and a 64.8 percent shooting clip. 5'9" Senior guard Aisha Sheppard serves as the Hokies' primary perimeter threat, averaging 17.8 points per game thanks in large part to her 41.8 percent 3-point shooting percentage. As a team, Virginia Tech averages 80.5 points per game (4th in the ACC) and allows 64.1 points per game (9th in the ACC).

Tonight's contest will arguably be Louisville's first real test against a formidable paint-player in Kitley. She was last year's ACC Freshman of the Year and was selected to the 2020-21 All-ACC preseason team. In her freshman season, she averaged 12 points a contest, shot 57.3% from the floor and had 41 blocks. She also is grabbing 9.5 rebounds a game this season.

Sheppard was a First-team All-ACC selection last season and is currently second on the all-time made threes list at Virginia Tech with 219 in her career as a Hokie. She was also selected to the 2020-21 All-ACC preseason team.

Other VT players who have had an impact for Kenny Brooks this season include guard Georgia Amoore, a freshman guard from Australia. She averages 13 point-per-contest and leads VT in assists. Ashia Jones transferred in from USC and the redshirt senior is good for 10 point a night. Cayla King, a sophomore guard contributes 8.9 ppg and Azana Baines, a transfer from Duke, made her debut as a Hokie back on 12/31 in a 73-63 loss to FSU in Blacksburg -- scoring nine points in 18 minutes.

Brooks also has two of his daughters on the roster. Chloe Brooks is a reserve guard and Kendyl Brooks, who sat out last year due to injury, hs not appeared in any Hokie contests this season.

Of local interest, Shelby Calhoun is on the Hokie roster. The freshman from Christian Academy is a reserve guard who has seen limited action in four contests. At Christian Academy, she was the MVP of the 2019 Class 2A State Tournament that Christian Academy won.

The Cards will need to keep up the successful transition game that had been a key in their eight wins this season. It would be nice to see the resurgence of their three-point success stay on a upward track and between Liz Dixon and Olivia Cochran -- let's hope they can make it a difficult night for Kitley. The main key, though, is how Dana Evans performs against the better-than-average VT back-court. If the Gobblers are able to slow Evans down, will Van Lith, the Smiths and/or "E' pick up the slack?

Will Walz go with a tighter rotation, as he did against Duke -- where only seven Cards saw more than 17 minutes -- or will it be a mass-substitution, keep-the-foot on the gas effort to try and wear out the Hokies, who were additionally punished by the front-line lines of FSU and Notre Dame in their last two.

It should be a fun one...I'll say Cards 88 -VT 74.

--sonja--

Reactions: CardsFirst
Hey Sonja- Is there a site that keeps an accurate up to date schedule for the women's team?
GoCards.com is about as good as it gets, but the schedules this year are so fluid it’s tough. I guess this game was short notice and the gocards.com site had it listed

These announcers are killing me. Been call Liz - Cochran over and over.

We looked good out of the gate but no one is hitting their shots anymore. Hailey dropped 2 dimes and no one picked her up.

Kiahana and Dana are off on their outside shots but Dana is knocking down the short range jumper. They are double teaming Dana leaving open shooters and we have taken advising it with four 3 pointers from other players. This is a tough game Va Tech is a good team. We need to keep up with the defense so far we are playing hard on defense.

Tight game! Cards not getting any calls with repeatedly getting bodied up. Yet, we are getting ticky-tack fouls called against us. Plus, the ladies are turning the ball over too much and right now are not creating any turnovers.

I agree on the bad fouls Ricky tacky calls on us and Va Tech getting away with heavy bumping. It’s like the refs are getting caught up in the emotion of the game.

Plus...Dana is struggling a bit. Kasa is such an offensive liability. But yes, this is ALL about the refs

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
9 TOs in the 3d qtr. That is one way to lose a lead. They need to get into the lane more and draw fouls and hit FTs.

Agree on Smith. Liz and Olivia have been decent in the paint - got to get them the ball.

We need to get back Into our transition game. More than half of Tech’s points in the 3rd period came from the foul line

Boom. Nice start to the qtr. K Smith with a 3 and then a Dana layup. Hopefully VT goes cold from the field. That Shepard player for them just bulls her way into the lane and right thru players - refs let her do it. Reminds me of some former UK MBB players.

Every time we drive the lane we need to flop On the floor like Tech and get the foul.

I agree with Hailey - BS on the walk call. And...where is Konno. Haven't seen her the entire 2d half.

They really need to get better refs. I am wondering since the Covid are they getting refs in the backyard.

Unfortunately UofL is putting up a LOT of bricks. Refs refuse to calla foul against VT when Dana drives to the basket.

Think they just said 26 for VT and now 6 for us...that is crazy.

Tech has gone to the line 26 times and Louisville has gone 6 times and like the announcer said as many times as Louisville has gone inside there should have been more fouls on Tech.

Whew. A win with the gross foul disparity and bad TOs and the shooting wasn’t great. Awesome.

Dana and Hailey did their jobs tonight, best backcourt that I have seen so far. We played bad but still beat a good team on their home court with bad refs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT