ADVERTISEMENT

Cards vs. Tigers preview

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
The UofL WBB squad finally gets their first conference home game today when they bring in the Clemson Tigers today at noon. It's the first of three WBB games on the ACC Network. It's a shame it has to go partly head-to-head with Lamar and the Ravens in Tennessee, but at least you can get an hour of uninterrupted Cards WBB before you start wearing out the remote with channel switching at 1 p.m. And, you can always tune into Nick and AJ on Cards Radio 790 WKRD AM for the best call in womens' college basketball.

This is not the bottom-of-the-conference dwelling Tigers of old anymore. Amanda Butler's squad is 8-3 on the season and 3-3 in ACC play. They have some very talented players, play solid defense and have wins this year over a couple of teams that used to routinely thump them in Notre Dame and FSU.

We'll start with Gabby Elliott. The freshman guard leads the Tigers with 14.1 ppg and is second in rebounds with 5.8 a contest. A couple of redshirt seniors in Delicia Washington and Kendall Spray have also been finding success for the Tigers. Washington, good for 13.5 a match, spent three years at Florida before rejoining with Butler -- the previous coach there. Spray is a legitimate three-point threat -- she's made 32 of them, which is second in the ACC to Virginia Tech's Aisha Sheppard and third in the NCAA.

Tylar Bennett could create some problems for the Cards inside. The 6'4" post has started al 11 games for Clemson and is a rebounding and shot-blocking threat. 6'3" Mikayla HAyes and 6'2" Hannah Hank are reserves that Butler can employ to provide board strength.

The big question is whether the Tigers can keep up with the Cardinals rapid-fire, get-it-and-go style of play. The Tigers surrendered 31 points at Pitt in the fourth quarter in their first loss of the season. At Miami, the Canes ran on them early and built a 41-27 halftime lead that Clemson could not overcome. Similarly, the GT Yellow Jackets came into Littlejohn Coliseum and steadily built at lead to 54-38 after three quarters.

Clemson will have trouble containing the Cardinal guard contingent of Evans, Van Lith, the Smiths, Balogun and Konno. A key could be if the Cards are on mark with the three-point shot early on. Louisville's 32% shooting from beyond the arc needs a shot-in-the-arm and I'll look to see in Van Lith, Evans and the Smiths can find success early. Konno has been a pleasant surprise as of late with her shooting accuracy and overall play and I'll watch her minutes carefully. Finally, will the center-by-committee of Cochran, Dixon and Parker be able to expose Clemson inside with offense and will they put solid "D" on the Clemson front-liners? Also, let's hope the 10 turnover-a-quarter days are over.

The Cards are 8-3 lifetime against Clemson and have won the last eight...all of the eight in ACC play. Last year the Cards took a 65-46 win in the KFC YUM! Center.

I think the Tigers will keep it interesting for awhile before the Cards depth, talent and overall speed puts this one away. I'll call it 88-71 Cards.

--sonja--

Reactions: Deeva
Thanks for posting I am not in Louisville right now so I looked for the game but couldn’t find it. I thought the game was cancelled for Covid but if they aren’t I wonder why the game time was moved.

I am not in Louisville and the game is not on the ACC network here Miami vs UNC is on and it is on 20 channels which I don’t understand why they do that.

Already more than 7 Cards hitting the floor?? And goodness, Elizabeth (E) is in a horrible offensive slump.

I found out why only 7 players are dressed it is because the other players have not got the test results back for their Covid test.

I am not able to watch the game but by the score that is a really low scoring game is Clemson slowing the game down or is the shooting percentage really low ?

Cards just raking care of business. Nothing flashy. I’ll take credit for E’s slight resurgence with her shooting today. She has knocked down a few shots; more importantly she has blocked a shot or two, played solid D and just working hard.

I can’t watch it but I am keeping up with it by going to the Louisville schedule and scrolling down the box scores. It looks like Louisville is focusing on getting our bigs more involved. Dana and Hailey have been doing most of the work from the start of the season so it looks like this is game we are focusing our on getting other players more involved. Especially on rebounding and defense which is a good idea because we have some games coming up with bigger lineups.

I’m getting tired of not being able to watch the games. I’ve got every sports channels available and still can’t watch. Set the recorder for the ACCN for noon. And guess what no game. And didn’t realize it was at 2 until after the game. Yep that’s how you keep fans interested

My complaint is why do they have the same game on 20 channels or the same rerun of a game on multiple channels.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT