ADVERTISEMENT

Cards vs, Norse preview

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
In the "If it's Friday, we must be playing...." category:

First off, Happy New Year To ALL! Let's hope it's a good one.

The University of Louisville women's basketball squad plays today at 3 p.m. in the KFC YUM! Center and the opponent is the squad from Highland Heights. KY -- The Northern Kentucky Norse.

NKU is 4-4 on the season. After a slow start, where they dropped games to Cincinnati, Akron, Bowling Green and Ohio State, they finally played someone who wasn't from Ohio and had success in-back-to-back games against Pittsburgh based Robert Morris. The Norse took a 61-33 win on Dec 13th. an followed it up with a 62-50 victory the next day. These wins were at the BB&T Arena on the NKU campus. They remained perfect in Horizon League play with a trip to Fort Wayne, IN by sweeping the Purdue-Fort Wayne Mastodons 83-48 on Dec 19th. and 80-68 on Dec. 20th.

Stepping up big for NKU in the last four has been former Card Lindsey Duvall. She totaled 71 points in the four wins and leads the team in scoring with a 14.5 ppg average in eight games. Duvall also leads the Norse in threes, with 13-34 shooting (38%). Duvall also has the most rebounds on the squad with 65 (8.1 a game). The red-shirt junior from Mt. Washington, KY has scored in double figures in all eight games, despite just starting the last four. She's listed as a red-shirt junior on the roster.

The other double figure scorer for NKU is Ivy Turner, a 5'4" guard from Danville, KY. She has 80 points in eight games. Turner is also one of three players leading on assists for NKU with 18.

NKU is not a particular tall squad -- Christyan Reid is a 6'4" freshman center who plays about three minutes a game. Grayson Rose, a 6'3" senior post plays about 20 minutes a game.

NKU has been going with a starting lineup lately of Duvall, turner, Rose, Kailey Coffey (a 5'10" senior forward) and Ally Niece (5'9" junior guard). Emmy Souder (6'1" forward) sees a lot of time off the bench -- she was one of state champ Mercer County's star when Chris souder was there a couple of years ago.

NKU averages 65.6 ppg and allows opponents 62 a contest.

The two squads played in the 2019-20 season, Louisville getting the 85-57 win at BB&T Arena on Dec. 8th. It was a game where Walz started Evans, Diop, Dixon, Laemmle and Dunham. Jazmine Jones had 21 points for the Cards in a reserve role of 20 minutes. Molly Glick, a redshirt-senior at the time had 13 for NKU and Ally Niece 12. NKU went 20-12 in the 2019-20 season and ended the season with four wins in their final five games. When they played Louisville last year, the Cards were #2 in the nation but were coming off a loss at Ohio State and would soon drop in the AP poll.

I'd expect Walz to give everyone substantial minutes this afternoon, Today game is the Cards first contest since Dec 9th. at Duke. NKU had a Horizon League conference game scheduled for today against Cleveland State at the BB&T Arena but it was cancelled earlier this week due to COVID concerns on the Cleveland State squad. The Cards originally had North Carolina today at the YUM! but that one was postponed because of Tar Heel travel issues. Louisville will return to action Saturday when Bellarmine visits the Cards in the KFC YUM! Center for a noon tipoff.

Only family of the players and media will be allowed inside the KFC YUM! Center for this one. You can view it on the ACC Network Extra or listen on Cards Radio WKRD 790 AM. Tip -off is expected at 3 p.m.

--sonja--

Reactions: Guardman
Thanks, Sonja. I think it's great that at least SOME games have been filled in or rescheduled. This seems to be a GREAT UofL team. I hope they get enough games to show it.

I agree this could be the best team we have ever assembled and we have the virus to contend with. I was really looking forward to this season and was even looking to buy season tickets. They recommended I wait until next year.

Talk about rust. Cards look like they're playing on a 11 foot goal. They have missed 7 in close shots in the first 15 minutes and are 1 for 10 shooting the 3. Most of the misses are short.

They look nothing like a top 20 team, much less the 2nd ranked team. It's really surprising how sluggish they are against a much inferior opponent. If there had been a betting line it would have been -35 for the Cards.

ADVERTISEMENT