ADVERTISEMENT

Cards survive on road at VT 71-67

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Dana Evans.

The Louisville women's basketball team survived a third-quarter I'd like to forget and got a spectacular end-of-game effort from the Gary, IN senior last night -- as the Cards got their first ACC road win of the 2020-21 season 71-67 at Blacksburg Thursday night.

Louisville squandered a 16-point second quarter lead, found themselves down by two with 2:26 to go, after an Aisha Sheppard three ball -- but turned to the pre-season MVP of the ACC and she delivered. Sheppard's three would be the final VT points of the contest. Louisville, on the other hand, got a big rebound from Evans with 1:40 to go, a jumper that tied it from her with 1:06 on the clock and a go-ahead jumper from the driving Evans with .23 seconds remaining to take a 69-67 lead.

Then, the steal.

Hokies had possession and were holding for the last shot. Freshman guard Georgia Ammore was being guarded by Evans. Dana just took the ball away, drove around the court to kill the clock and was eventually fouled with five ticks left on the clock.

Jeff Walz had wanted a foul in that sequence. VT was not in the bonus yet. Dana saw it differently and went for the possession.

VT had to foul after finally chasing down the elusive Evans.. they chose to send Hailey Van Lith to the line and the calm, cool freshman from Wenatachee, WA stepped to the line, tossed both attempts through the hoop and secured the road win.

Pretty game? No, it wasn't at times. Sometimes wins are the road aren't. That's the ACC -- each night, each conference game the Cards will go out with a target on their back and get the best from whoever suits up against them. Elizabeth Kitley is the best post the Cards have faced this year. Aisha Sheppard is a "can't miss" WNBA prospect if she decides to go at the end of the season.....but the key thing here is that the Cards weathered their own mistakes, a spirited VT rally and refused to lose.

The three-point shooting lapsed back into futility -- just 5-17 (29%) for Louisville -- except for Norika Konno's commendable 2-3 long range bombing, The Cards finally and wisely realized that this win would need to come from defense and drives. VT was 0-4 from the floor in the final 2:26 and and had three turnovers

Defense. It's what wins games.

Points in the paint are also huge in securing wins. The Cards won that battle against Kitley and her crew 42-28 -- getting 14 points on six for 10 shooting from Liz Dixon and Olivia Cochran.

The Cards could have folded to a Virginia Tech WBB squad that was trying to end a two-game losing streak. Despite a few bumps, bone-headed plays and bad decisions, they did not fall. Yes, Louisville WBB needs to continue to improve, and I'm pretty sure Jeff Walz will find a wealth of teaching opportunities when he and the staff break down this game film. Consider, though, that Louisville got this win with only two of the players (Evans and Robinson) ever being pushed to the brink in Cardinal uniforms. They got the win with three freshmen, four transfers, a previously untested reserve in Konno and, in crunch time, the Cards still won. On the road. Despite VT winning the second-chance points, points off turnovers and rebounding categories.

Jeff Walz warned us earlier this week that he expected a tough game from Kenny Brooks Gobblers and Walz was right. If anything, this win will help continue to gel this team. And it shows that experience is the best teacher of all. Experiencing rough stretches and leaning on experience in crunch time. If Dana decides to get a tattoo sometime down the road, "refuse to lose" would be a fine one to display.

With Evans, you always have a chance and you are never out of any situation. And, her heir apparent (Van Lith) is learning, performing, producing and, most importantly -- absorbing -- what it takes to be "that girl".

--sonja--

Good article Sonja, great effort by the team to gut this one out and play good defense. Dana and Hailey showed why they are considered one of the best guard combinations in the country. K. Smith was off tonight but that happens to all good players every now and then. I don’t think that will last very long. Konno played really well and I thought she should of had more minutes last night.
Liz and Olivia need to work on better ball handling and rebounding. They are both good scorers and know what to do with the ball but they just have to start holding on to it. I think Hailey does so well at rebounding even though she is only 5’8” is because of her basketball IQ and her fundamentals. Watching the game last night she was the only one blocking out for rebounds.
A. Smith came off the bench and made big contributions and it was good to see and that will help down the road. This was a good test and we have more to come the ACC has some really good competition. The Syracuse game to me will be interesting since that have such a big front line. Their front line is 6’7”, 6’5” and 6’3” and I hope we have our transition game ready to go and knocking down our shots.
I was really disappointed by the officiating last night. The 3rd period where Tech made their big run they had more points from the foul line then they did from the field. They shot 26 free throws to Louisville’s 6 CJW needs to address that with the ACC. There were some really bad calls last, I jumped off the couch on the walking call against Hailey. She ran down a loose ball in the corner and got pushed by a Tech player and was called for walking. CJW gave the ref an ear full.

Reactions: Sonja and PHCARD
I have the Fox Sports and Fox Sports Go apps and I couldn't find the game. Fortunately Phi Stahl live casted from his TV (plus awesome commentary) from his Cardinal Nation Facebook page and I caught the last five minutes. I am probably glad I missed the third quarter from what I read.

Reactions: Sonja
Dana Evans.

The Louisville women's basketball team survived a third-quarter I'd like to forget and got a spectacular end-of-game effort from the Gary, IN senior last night -- as the Cards got their first ACC road win of the 2020-21 season 71-67 at Blacksburg Thursday night.

Louisville squandered a 16-point second quarter lead, found themselves down by two with 2:26 to go, after an Aisha Sheppard three ball -- but turned to the pre-season MVP of the ACC and she delivered. Sheppard's three would be the final VT points of the contest. Louisville, on the other hand, got a big rebound from Evans with 1:40 to go, a jumper that tied it from her with 1:06 on the clock and a go-ahead jumper from the driving Evans with .23 seconds remaining to take a 69-67 lead.

Then, the steal.

Hokies had possession and were holding for the last shot. Freshman guard Georgia Ammore was being guarded by Evans. Dana just took the ball away, drove around the court to kill the clock and was eventually fouled with five ticks left on the clock.

Jeff Walz had wanted a foul in that sequence. VT was not in the bonus yet. Dana saw it differently and went for the possession.

VT had to foul after finally chasing down the elusive Evans.. they chose to send Hailey Van Lith to the line and the calm, cool freshman from Wenatachee, WA stepped to the line, tossed both attempts through the hoop and secured the road win.

Pretty game? No, it wasn't at times. Sometimes wins are the road aren't. That's the ACC -- each night, each conference game the Cards will go out with a target on their back and get the best from whoever suits up against them. Elizabeth Kitley is the best post the Cards have faced this year. Aisha Sheppard is a "can't miss" WNBA prospect if she decides to go at the end of the season.....but the key thing here is that the Cards weathered their own mistakes, a spirited VT rally and refused to lose.

The three-point shooting lapsed back into futility -- just 5-17 (29%) for Louisville -- except for Norika Konno's commendable 2-3 long range bombing, The Cards finally and wisely realized that this win would need to come from defense and drives. VT was 0-4 from the floor in the final 2:26 and and had three turnovers

Defense. It's what wins games.

Points in the paint are also huge in securing wins. The Cards won that battle against Kitley and her crew 42-28 -- getting 14 points on six for 10 shooting from Liz Dixon and Olivia Cochran.

The Cards could have folded to a Virginia Tech WBB squad that was trying to end a two-game losing streak. Despite a few bumps, bone-headed plays and bad decisions, they did not fall. Yes, Louisville WBB needs to continue to improve, and I'm pretty sure Jeff Walz will find a wealth of teaching opportunities when he and the staff break down this game film. Consider, though, that Louisville got this win with only two of the players (Evans and Robinson) ever being pushed to the brink in Cardinal uniforms. They got the win with three freshmen, four transfers, a previously untested reserve in Konno and, in crunch time, the Cards still won. On the road. Despite VT winning the second-chance points, points off turnovers and rebounding categories.

Jeff Walz warned us earlier this week that he expected a tough game from Kenny Brooks Gobblers and Walz was right. If anything, this win will help continue to gel this team. And it shows that experience is the best teacher of all. Experiencing rough stretches and leaning on experience in crunch time. If Dana decides to get a tattoo sometime down the road, "refuse to lose" would be a fine one to display.

With Evans, you always have a chance and you are never out of any situation. And, her heir apparent (Van Lith) is learning, performing, producing and, most importantly -- absorbing -- what it takes to be "that girl".

--sonja--
Dana being Dana. She’s just AWESOME! We knew HVL was going to be a shooter, but she going to give players heck on defense. She took their freshman to school several times last night with steals and faked the shorts off of her with a jumper. We’re absolutely loaded this year. We can’t give the ball away. We had to many unforced turnovers.

Reactions: Sonja
They are still growing as a team. They are also in the midst of their re-start after the Covid stall. They are having a few lapses in concentration and they need to watch their shot selection. I thought our interior defense was pretty good against their bigs. I think we need to continue to work in touches in the paint for Olivia and Liz.

I have the Fox Sports and Fox Sports Go apps and I couldn't find the game. Fortunately Phi Stahl live casted from his TV (plus awesome commentary) from his Cardinal Nation Facebook page and I caught the last five minutes. I am probably glad I missed the third quarter from what I read.
Fox Sports South carried. Some folks don't get that channel. We have Spectrum it was on there. I hear they are contracted to carry some ACC games. Personally I think that the ACcN does a better job covering these,

Thought they said this was their only meeting this year??

I don’t know who we play until the day of the game because everything changes on a daily bases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT