ADVERTISEMENT

Cards slow starts

Feb 22, 2015
First post.

I am always frustrated by the Cards slow starts. Too often we struggle to get going at the tip. This results in frequent 10 point scoring at 10 minutes in.

So I lucked into some good lower arena seats for the Miami game. As I never miss a televised game, I made a point to watch closely that which the TV doesn't cover. Warm-ups, timeout management and body language.

This is my observation during warm-ups. The first team out was Miami. Usual stuff. Lay-up lines with brisk movement evolving into jump shooting. Nothing new here.

Five minutes later, Louisville came out. To compare teams warm-ups was quite a contrast. The Louisville warm-up was much less structured. Under the watch of David Padgett, the structure was poor IMO. I observed much walking and more troubling there was a lot of grabass going on. On several occasions players shoved Padgett. I noticed Aaron standing at the end of the shooting line while waving others to move ahead. Why we allow ball slapping going on the layup line, I don't understand.

Yesterdays start: Miami 19 Cards 6 at the 10 minute mark.

I have always believed that the game begins with warm-ups. That is the time that players and teams get their game face on.
This post was edited on 2/22 6:34 PM by 93SOB

Interesting.

We've had fast starts on the road @ PITT, @ Syracuse, @ Miami come to mind.

A lot of what you said is probably applicable.

I think we just lack fire at home. Maybe they just expect to win. Maybe they are tired of hearing groans when the screw up during games, and just come out kind of flat. Hard to say.

"On several occasions I saw players shove Padgett"

Strong statement. Care elaborating? What players and why (in your opinion)?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT