ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Collier

I don't blame Adell a bit, (have always heard good things about him and his family) but I have no doubt that he would be a better player now if he had spent 3 years at UL.

Reactions: Bardman
There's always a chance you could injure yourself I suppose and the thought of passing on money like what Adell got was hard to do.
In the current state of college athletics,the NIL factor would help to sway these type draft choices towards a decision to take that college experience...provided it is even an option. It alleviate a concern that you might not ever make a dime if you were injured.
A player as highly regarded as Adell was could have signed a hefty insurance policy against injury.

It is tough to turn down 4 million dollars just to sign a contract but I still believe most of these HS players are more motivated to start right away with pro ball and reach the Show sooner than later. The thought of 3 years of minor league baseball after 3 years of college baseball can seem like a lifetime for players dreaming of being a big leaguer.

It is a tough road. There are examples of both being a success story. To me college allows the kid to grow up. He is surrounded by players that have the same goals both individually and as a team. In the minors it is cut throat. Everyone is out for themselves. No real team goals. Players coming and going all year. That is tough on most kids.

I do think NIL will make it more likely players go to college. It may not be 4m but if Adell tore up college he was getting his 4M. At a age where mentally he was more prepared.

Reactions: earsky
I do think NIL will make it more likely players go to college. It may not be 4m but if Adell tore up college he was getting his 4M. At a age where mentally he was more prepared.
Agree. I did go and check out some videos of Collier that are pretty recent. One before the combine and one at the combine. Somebody said earlier in the thread,he's gone and I agree. He reclassified to play against (JUCO)older players last season. He doesn't turn 18 till November,but sounds and looks to be fast tracking his career.

Players drafted high are pushed through the system quickly. They have to perform but management doesn’t need a huge sample size to move them. They want to see if their investment is solid or cut their losses.

I expect Henry Davis to be in Triple A either this year or next.

I heard from a pretty reliable person that Jacob Miller isn’t likely to sign and that he will honor his commitment
Two weeks out from the draft and this is the guy we need to concentrate on getting to campus I think. He's jumped 9 spots in the latest mock draft and is listed at 27-28.🤞
Collier is now at #4😒

27-28 - yikes. I’d be floored if he came to school. First round money is nuts.

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
27-28 - yikes. I’d be floored if he came to school. First round money is nuts.
I would agree if it were a couple years ago. There's at least a fighting chance with an NIL deal😊
At least a fighting chance to recoup some of that signing bonus money at least.

Last edited:
I guess I just don’t see the ROI on the baseball players. I HOPE I am wrong. We really need some of our very top guys to make it to campus.

I would agree if it were a couple years ago. There's at least a fighting chance with an NIL deal😊
At least a fighting chance to recoup some of that signing bonus money at least.
I just don't see NIL being as good an option for baseball players compared to basketball and football. Most of these baseball players are unknown except to the avid baseball fan.

I just don't see NIL being as good an option for baseball players compared to basketball and football. Most of these baseball players are unknown except to the avid baseball fan.
I fully expect Collier to move on with his career at the next level,but I am really curious to see how this plays out with Jacobs.

Reactions: nccardfan
It appears we are in the same boat with Trinity outfielder Korbyn Dickerson as we are with Jacobs. This highly touted class may not stay in tact after next weekend. Idk.

I know. I read similar into about him. UofL and playing here is his dream, but…

I know. I read similar into about him. UofL and playing here is his dream, but…
And I completely understand that were we pre NIL the odds of seeing some of these guys in Black and Red would be long.
I'll steal a line from Michael in Godfather when they're wanting to take out the corrupt police captain.
" We've got people on the payroll that can help us with this Tom.Right?"
Lol

There are folks outside of Addidas and Rawlings or Louisville Slugger,Big time donors in the program that are spreading cash around for other sports. I hope they can spread it around to all of the non revenue sports as well. As I said before,interesting times for baseball program. We'll have some answers about it either way in a few weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT