ADVERTISEMENT

C-J's press deadlines???

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
I am working today and someone happened to bring in a C-J for the break area. I picked up the Sports section and both UL and kitty coverage didn't make the Sunday edition due to a "press deadline". Unbelievable! It really doesn't matter, the Internet, Twitter, etc. serve me just fine. However, how can you sell subscriptions to that? Dinosaurs!

Reactions: wilkie01
It is sad and ridiculous. They are now going to press before the 7:30 and 8 pm games end.

I remember back in the 70's and 80s when the Courier-Journal would have a recap and a box score on Tuesday mornings of the Monday Night NFL games that ended at 12:30 in the morning.

Reactions: wilkie01
It is sad and ridiculous. They are now going to press before the 7:30 and 8 pm games end.

I remember back in the 70's and 80s when the Courier-Journal would have a recap and a box score on Tuesday mornings of the Monday Night NFL games that ended at 12:30 in the morning.
Who cares. I cancelled it 4 years ago (after taking it for 40 years) and don't miss it.

In the ultra-olden days, just 35 years ago, newspapers published fresh information and story updates up to 9 - 12 times per day, in new editions run from their presses. Presses ran all day long.

Now people expect fresh 'information' to be available every 2 seconds.

Newspapers have become mostly irrelevant in reporting fresh/new information. The few good ones which remain are those that develop and print interesting topical in-depth thoughtful investigations and articles. The CJ is not one of those.

The microwave society has eliminated good newspapers and good journalism. We have been conditioned to want one-line, one-sentence summaries for major world events that really need 20 pages of depth. We now think it's just so cool to know at least one small thing about something that goes only a billionith of an onion skin deep.

We are becoming an ignorant society of humans that wants media organizations to tell us what everyone else is thinking so that we can do what everyone else does.

Back to the CJ and the Sports story deadlines. It is pointless to discuss it because there's no horsepower or investment in the newsroom. They don't give a darn. They don't care because we don't care, because immediacy of shallow information has won out.

Reactions: GoldCard
In the ultra-olden days, just 35 years ago, newspapers published fresh information and story updates up to 9 - 12 times per day, in new editions run from their presses. Presses ran all day long.

Now people expect fresh 'information' to be available every 2 seconds.

Newspapers have become mostly irrelevant in reporting fresh/new information. The few good ones which remain are those that develop and print interesting topical in-depth thoughtful investigations and articles. The CJ is not one of those.

The microwave society has eliminated good newspapers and good journalism. We have been conditioned to want one-line, one-sentence summaries for major world events that really need 20 pages of depth. We now think it's just so cool to know at least one small thing about something that goes only a billionith of an onion skin deep.

We are becoming an ignorant society of humans that wants media organizations to tell us what everyone else is thinking so that we can do what everyone else does.

Back to the CJ and the Sports story deadlines. It is pointless to discuss it because there's no horsepower or investment in the newsroom. They don't give a darn. They don't care because we don't care, because immediacy of shallow information has won out.

I can see that your opinion of society today is very low and I am not in total disagreement with you. However, the demise of the newspaper and its reporting skills and integrity started much earlier that the electronic age of social networking. You can thank the takeover of the major papers by the Gannets and the like as a major step toward the decline. Profit margins became paramount causing canned articles from other places and sensationalism/agenda bias in place of factual reporting to become much more prevalent. The instant knowledge and self gratification of the internet has only accelerated what will be the ultimate demise of newspapers as we once knew them. It is very sad but inevitable. Still the persistent reader can distill good information from the internet and other sources. The one caveat, like it has always been, is that one cannot believe or accept every thing that is said.without some serious thought.

So back to the CJ and sports section, I have grown very accustomed to not reading it after many years of subscribing. I am not sure that caring by readers would have turned Gannet around anyway..

Reactions: GoldCard
We only take the CJ because Mrs. Guardman likes to read the newspaper for 2 minutes every morning...and three minutes every Sunday. As she has her morning coffee and muffin. She is almost cured of the addiction.

We only take the CJ because Mrs. Guardman likes to read the newspaper for 2 minutes every morning...and three minutes every Sunday. As she has her morning coffee and muffin. She is almost cured of the addiction.

Same here and my wife likes the coupons. I use the CJ to fillet my fish, I cannot think of anything else it is good for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT