ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Hopkins decommits

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Per the CJ:

Bryce Hopkins, the cornerstone of Louisville's 2021 recruiting class, reopened his recruitment on Sunday, nearly nine months after he initially committed to coach Chris Mack and the Cardinals.

Hopkins, a top-40 combo forward who lit up the scoreboard for Chicago's Fenwick High School, told 247Sports.com in a piece published Sunday that Louisville's ongoing NCAA case led him to decommit and check out other options ahead of his final prep season.

"I opened up my recruitment because there were a lot of uncertainties on what is going on with the sanctions," Hopkins told 247Sports. "They also keep appealing (the sanctions) which is only making it harder on me."

Louisville has appealed after an NCAA notice of allegations in May charged the program with one level-I violation and three level-II violations in connection with the recruitment of Brian Bowen II and the FBI's 2017 investigation into college basketball recruiting. Louisville fired coach Rick Pitino and longtime athletic director Tom Jurich in the wake of the allegations that fall.

There's no sugarcoating this one — there's still time to land other commitments, but losing Hopkins is a major blow for the Cardinals and their 2021 class.

Louisville has several other 2021 players who have committed. Standout JUCO point guard El Ellis has pledged to join the Cardinals, along with three-star guard Bobby Pettiford Jr. and three-star forward Eric Van Der Heijden. Three-star center Gabe Wiznitzer also plans to join Louisville in 2020 but will redshirt and make his debut in 2021.

Hopkins was the star, though. One of the top recruits in Illinois, he's listed as the No. 33 overall class of 2021 recruit by 247Sports and is ranked No. 32 by ESPN.

Per the CJ:

Bryce Hopkins, the cornerstone of Louisville's 2021 recruiting class, reopened his recruitment on Sunday, nearly nine months after he initially committed to coach Chris Mack and the Cardinals.

Hopkins, a top-40 combo forward who lit up the scoreboard for Chicago's Fenwick High School, told 247Sports.com in a piece published Sunday that Louisville's ongoing NCAA case led him to decommit and check out other options ahead of his final prep season.

"I opened up my recruitment because there were a lot of uncertainties on what is going on with the sanctions," Hopkins told 247Sports. "They also keep appealing (the sanctions) which is only making it harder on me."

Louisville has appealed after an NCAA notice of allegations in May charged the program with one level-I violation and three level-II violations in connection with the recruitment of Brian Bowen II and the FBI's 2017 investigation into college basketball recruiting. Louisville fired coach Rick Pitino and longtime athletic director Tom Jurich in the wake of the allegations that fall.

There's no sugarcoating this one — there's still time to land other commitments, but losing Hopkins is a major blow for the Cardinals and their 2021 class.

Louisville has several other 2021 players who have committed. Standout JUCO point guard El Ellis has pledged to join the Cardinals, along with three-star guard Bobby Pettiford Jr. and three-star forward Eric Van Der Heijden. Three-star center Gabe Wiznitzer also plans to join Louisville in 2020 but will redshirt and make his debut in 2021.

Hopkins was the star, though. One of the top recruits in Illinois, he's listed as the No. 33 overall class of 2021 recruit by 247Sports and is ranked No. 32 by ESPN.
Not trying to boast howver i warned about this 3 months ago

Expect a decommitment from Bryce Hopkins .
70 REDFISTFURY3, May 8, 2020

Reactions: Deeva and glassmanJ
is he going to the G league to get paid?
What i knew then it's on the table also wifes brother in law in Chitown is connected with his AAU team. back in may on the EYBL scene he blowed up and alot of the bigger schools started on on him . Bringing the U of L noise trust me i was around him a few times and bragged about U of L and he mentioned NCAA things . I knew then he wasn't comming when i would ask just in kidding .

Last edited:
Part of me now in a selfish way kinda wishes U of L would just go ahead and accept whats coming to us now . Don't know if ill be able to except the uncertainty with any body that commits now. Which is totally the right thing for a recruit whats best for them. As i said before screw you Rick .

Saw a clip of him working out today. Dude is a beast with a very nice skill package. Love his shooting form - picture perfect. Too bad we’re losing out on him. Hurts!

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
While we continue too lose out due to past transgressions are comp just gets better.

Breaking: Florida State lands five-star junior Jalen Warley, he told
@Stockrisers
. Seminoles fans, his message: “Don’t be surprised if this 2021 class raises a national championship banner.”

They never stopped reaching out. Schools try to poach players until the minute they sign commitment papers. Just like everything else in Chicago, the recruiting is some of the shadiest and dirtiest there is in the country.

It's why Illinois losses so many players to other schools.

They never stopped reaching out. Schools try to poach players until the minute they sign commitment papers. Just like everything else in Chicago, the recruiting is some of the shadiest and dirtiest there is in the country.

It's why Illinois losses so many players to other schools.
They put serious money on high school players their part of the AAu circuit is alot games with money on the line . players go at each other one on one with 1,000's of dollars on the line .

Reactions: Deeva
Bryces father interview

How did the Louisville situation unfold? How disappointed were you guys to make that decision to decommit?

They are great people, man. That’s why we committed. It was just an unfortunate situation. Coach [Chris] Mack, Coach [Luke] Murray, the whole coaching staff, they’re stand-up guys. I have nothing bad to say about them or the program. Everything about them was good. Like I told Bryce, you have to follow your heart. It’s like if your son was in that situation, you just want what’s best for him. You can only do this one time. You want to get it right. Take nothing away from Louisville or their coaching staff, every time we went there, it was first class.

There are rumblings behind the scenes that Bryce’s dream school is Duke. Can you confirm that?

You know, I must admit, Bryce has always loved Duke. He has. He’s got Louisville comforters and stuff like that, but he’s still got Duke up there, too. It’s always been a dream school for him.

It’s a tough [recruitment], it really is. I’m just glad to be in his life and to help him with some of the tougher questions that may come up. He has me, and he has his MoKan [Elite] staff. If we’re struggling with something, we never hesitate to pick up the phone and reach out to the coaching staff there. Matt Suther, which is the owner of that program

ryce Hopkins

@BryceHopkins

Blessed to say that I have received an offer from The University of Kentucky

1f535.svg

26aa.svg
#BBN

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT