ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm to UofL not Done Deal

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Fwiw. Cobbled this together after a few conversations so who knows: 1) UofL believes that Purdue may significantly increase Brohm’s salary (currently a little above $4M but could go closer to $6M which would make Brohm one of the highest paid in the country; 2) if that happens there is a very plausible chance that Vince would be inclined to move on to other candidates. He is very fiscally inclined and paying Brohm top 5 money is tough to justify. UofL has had a ton of interest in the opening and so they feel good about getting a great coach at a budget appropriate amount.

Not giving up on Brohm but it’s definitely not a slam dunk at this point from what I can gather.

I am so tired of all this and I am not even home with you guys to have to listen to every "solid " lead. If Brohm wants to finish what he started then fine let him. He may pull out a win over one of the big boys once in a while but Purdue will never be considered a powerhouse in the Big10.We all know what the pecking orders is there and if your name isn't OSU or Michigan you don't matter. Like I said in another post bring us a coach that wants to be here and that can recruit and hire good assistants.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Hope Vince sticks to his guns on this. Love Jeff and hope he wants to come here but not at the risk of jeopardizing the entire program. There’s at least 3 candidates that I love after Brohm.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
According to a report on TOS, money isn’t anywhere near that. Those numbers thrown out by some Purdue fans thinking money will keep Jeff in West Lafayette.

Keep in mind that Vince hasn’t asked Bobinski for permission to speak with Jeff yet. Would expect we would hear about that today. Just be patient. The process is just starting.
CJ

Fwiw. Cobbled this together after a few conversations so who knows: 1) UofL believes that Purdue may significantly increase Brohm’s salary (currently a little above $4M but could go closer to $6M which would make Brohm one of the highest paid in the country; 2) if that happens there is a very plausible chance that Vince would be inclined to move on to other candidates. He is very fiscally inclined and paying Brohm top 5 money is tough to justify. UofL has had a ton of interest in the opening and so they feel good about getting a great coach at a budget appropriate amount.

Not giving up on Brohm but it’s definitely not a slam dunk at this point from what I can gather.
I doubt that two donors are willing to help pay off Petrino, unless they know who we’re going to get. I know it’s not a done deal, but regardless, we will have a top notch coach.

i have said it from the get go, it is OK to lock into a guy, but you better get your guy purely from a fanbase/donor perspective. Tyra nor Brohm let's this keep going unless there is interest. The official decision to stay or leave will come by Monday or Tuesday. I agree no coach is worth 6m at Louisville or Purdue, however if the donor base believes that they are worth that then that is what the coach is worth.

There are other really good candidates Vince has done a nice job of not saying he is the guy. The problem he has is everyone in the Louisville fanbase, players and maybe even in the donar base expects Brohm. If he misses on Brohm I wonder what kind of support the new guy gets from fans and donors. Next year is going to rough Brohm will have the fans support I am not sure I can say that about anyone else. Anyone not Brohm is going to have mixed reaction from the fanbase.

I still don't think he misses unless the money is just too good to stay.

Like many I am ready for this to be over with Brohm in or out.

I doubt that two donors are willing to help pay off Petrino, unless they know who we’re going to get. I know it’s not a done deal, but regardless, we will have a top notch coach.
Btw, I have heard that donors are stepping up with the money on this.

I like Jeff for our job and I think he is a very good fit for any number of reasons. Most of which all of you know, but, yeah there’s a “but”, I do not care much for his defense, or lack thereof. If he comes here he can leave Holt wherever Holt lands. Just my own personal opinion.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I like Jeff for our job and I think he is a very good fit for any number of reasons. Most of which all of you know, but, yeah there’s a “but”, I do not care much for his defense, or lack thereof. If he comes here he can leave Holt wherever Holt lands. Just my own personal opinion.

Agree about Holt.
Move him into another position and bring in a top notch D coordinator.

Im sick of the pansy defense the last 2 seasons.

We are at the point now any defense other than that debacle we have witnessed all season will be an improvement. And if Brohm puts up more points than his defense allows, then we are good.

Sayonara, you sorry ass 2018 Cards. You are an embarrassment beyond words.

https://twitter.com/MarkEnnis

The very 1st tweet is cryptic don't you all think?

Ennis has been sort of blunt the entire time in that he thinks Louisville and Brohm will iron things out and he'll be Louisville's coach.

Personally....I obviously have no inside information...my assumption is that Louisville is prepared to offer Jeff somewhere in the $5-$6 range and they can do that, but that maybe they're figuring out how to pay the staff the amounts Jeff is looking for so Vince is probably lobbying donors to pony up money and last nights game ironically enough may have been a tipping point that will actually cause an uptick in donations. I dunno....

If Brohm is the guy they want, I can't see Louisville letting a couple hundred thousand be the difference and I've said all along, I think all Louisville has to do is offer him what he's looking for and he'll come. Purdue would likely have to pay him obscene money to keep him....It boils down to if he wants to come home or not. What's $7 million a year if you have to live in West Lafayette Indiana?

This! I have faith Tyra, the donors and boosters will get this done! Last night was it! Can't ever happen again! Go Cards! Beat everybody!

Ennis has been sort of blunt the entire time in that he thinks Louisville and Brohm will iron things out and he'll be Louisville's coach.

Personally....I obviously have no inside information...my assumption is that Louisville is prepared to offer Jeff somewhere in the $5-$6 range and they can do that, but that maybe they're figuring out how to pay the staff the amounts Jeff is looking for so Vince is probably lobbying donors to pony up money and last nights game ironically enough may have been a tipping point that will actually cause an uptick in donations. I dunno....

If Brohm is the guy they want, I can't see Louisville letting a couple hundred thousand be the difference and I've said all along, I think all Louisville has to do is offer him what he's looking for and he'll come. Purdue would likely have to pay him obscene money to keep him....It boils down to if he wants to come home or not. What's $7 million a year if you have to live in West Lafayette Indiana?

Reactions: EKYCard643
I can understand Purdue wanting to throw the house at Brohm. You have to look at it from their perspective to fully understand why they'd be willing to throw top 5 coach money at him. They just beat Ohio State and Iowa this year, and those are things that Purdue struggles with in football. Hell, he beat IU twice in a row and iu definitely had the better team last year and arguably the better roster this year, excluding Rondale Moore.

They also reside in the West division and it's a joke compared to the East division. Jim Delany put these divisions together and he should be shot for the lack of parity and balance between the two. That said, Purdue has a realistic chance to finish in the top three in that watery division.

As a longtime fan of both, UofL and Indiana, I sincerely hope Tyra can get Brohm in here ASAP!!!

I can understand Purdue wanting to throw the house at Brohm. You have to look at it from their perspective to fully understand why they'd be willing to throw top 5 coach money at him. They just beat Ohio State and Iowa this year, and those are things that Purdue struggles with in football. Hell, he beat IU twice in a row and iu definitely had the better team last year and arguably the better roster this year, excluding Rondale Moore.

They also reside in the West division and it's a joke compared to the East division. Jim Delany put these divisions together and he should be shot for the lack of parity and balance between the two. That said, Purdue has a realistic chance to finish in the top three in that watery division.

As a longtime fan of both, UofL and Indiana, I sincerely hope Tyra can get Brohm in here ASAP!!!

Purdue has beaten OSU more than any other B1G team since 2000 so no I wouldn’t say they struggle with doing that.

This is an unpleasant time for both UofL and Purdue fans. Brohm may not have decided what he wants to do yet, for all we know. Rumors and hanging on every word... it's all noise.

A few responses

Every team struggles with beating Ohio st so idk where you're going with that. Purdue's 5-8 record vs Ohio st since 2000 is the best record by any big ten team vs OSU. 3 more of those games were decided by 7 points or less (2011,2002,2003).

Against Iowa Purdue leads all time and has won the last two but using the same time frame I did with Ohio st Iowa leads 10-6 so I'll concede that one to you. Wisconsin is the team that Purdue struggles with more than any though.

The other comment that I want to make while the west isn't top heavy like the east is with Michigan, OSU, and Penn st, it is definitely still a solid division. The west is sending 5 teams to bowl games this year while the east is sending 4. The west has had as many teams ranked as the east has this year with 4 a piece but just doesn't have that sure top 10 team since Wisconsin fell this season.

Doesn't that make the big ten west a good spot for a coach? Northwestern crapped the bed in non-conference games but was 4 points from going undefeated in conference and now depending on what Ohio st team shows up they could be in the rose bowl after next week.

While all the Machiavellian machinations to try and fire Petrino and avoid a buyout we’re going on
Purdue’s leadership quietly and methodically was premptively going about putting together a package addressing Jeff’s stated needs and desires. He was an integral part of the process and when the two sides had an agreement in principle, then and only then (which is how Purdue does business) did Jeff and his players address his future.

Reactions: boilerjohn
While all the Machiavellian machinations to try and fire Petrino and avoid a buyout we’re going on
Purdue’s leadership quietly and methodically was premptively going about putting together a package addressing Jeff’s stated needs and desires. He was an integral part of the process and when the two sides had an agreement in principle, then and only then (which is how Purdue does business) did Jeff and his players address his future.
I absolutely understand Purdue's thinking, absolutely. That said, I don't think all of the money in Indiana can keep him up there if he wants to come home. At that point, it's really no longer about the financial aspects, it's about wanting to come home.

I absolutely understand Purdue's thinking, absolutely. That said, I don't think all of the money in Indiana can keep him up there if he wants to come home. At that point, it's really no longer about the financial aspects, it's about wanting to come home.

That decision was made before an extension was ever discussed. You are a smart guy, do you really think yestetday’s events would have taken place without addressing the question of where he wanted to be first? There would be no basis to even have a discussion if his goal (or dream job) was to go back to Louisville. When asked what drives him Jeff responded “Winning”. I think he sees his chances of winning quickest being in WL. I also am pragmatic and know we may have him no more than four more years until
Brady graduates high school. By then his time for Louisville May happen, or MSU have passed him by and he moved to bigger dreams. If it goes as expected Purdue will be a destination job and two parties will have successfully engaged in what I call “ Mutual
Exploitation!”

Announcement this week - Brohm to Louisville.

Bet on it.

in debating which school gives the better opportunity for success, unless you are a high school football looking to be an engineer in later life, all things being equal i think it's easier to get a kid to come to louisville than purdue. it's warmer, more girls, more education options, more diverse city, and more centrally located for parents who want to come see their kids play.

basically, all things being equal, a coach has a better chance of getting a kid to come here than purdue simply based upon city location and demographics. louisvilel can recruit a larger pool of kids. not as many want to be cold. lousiville isn't the south but it isn't the norht either. geographically speaking, no comparison between who you can attract to come play for you.

in debating which school gives the better opportunity for success, unless you are a high school football looking to be an engineer in later life, all things being equal i think it's easier to get a kid to come to louisville than purdue. it's warmer, more girls, more education options, more diverse city, and more centrally located for parents who want to come see their kids play.

basically, all things being equal, a coach has a better chance of getting a kid to come here than purdue simply based upon city location and demographics. louisvilel can recruit a larger pool of kids. not as many want to be cold. lousiville isn't the south but it isn't the norht either. geographically speaking, no comparison between who you can attract to come play for you.

Glad you explained why we have 44,000 students and 600 alumni and you have 22,000 and 130,000 alumni.
Of course Tuition has been frozen since 2012 so that is another thing that probably impacts the problem of luring students to WL.

Research is helpful. You have 31 Kentucky high school kids on your football roster and Purdue has 21 from Indiana.

Thats very quick.[/QUOTE

Good. Permission must have been asked and as expected was granted because Jeff will want to be as helpful as possible to his alma mater and can be helpful in advising a rookie AD on some people who would be good prospects for your coaching vacancy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT