ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm Presser

If you truly believe what you are posting, why are you over here? You hope that you’re right, but deep down you doubt that you are. As I have said before, if he comes here that would be great, if not then we will get a quality coach anyway.
Throughout this entire ordeal, I've maintained the idea that Brohm could potentially be using this as a springboard to close his recruiting in 2019 for David Bell and 1-2 other highly rated players knowing their biggest question is him staying. This play would be going hand in hand with his comments he made last year:

“There’s not a whole lot to it other than the fact that if we’re going to ask top talent to bypass Ohio State and Michigan and Florida and Florida State to come to Purdue, sometimes coaches have to prove that they’re willing to bypass things that come up as well to stick at Purdue and make it a winning program and be a difference maker...”

If that is in fact his biggest inhibitor he has faced while recruiting, wouldn't this be the best primary example to recruits about his willingness to coach for Purdue for an extended (albeit probably less than 5 years total) time.

I could be completely off on that assumption but I am attempting to use facts and actual words from Brohm himself as to where he may end up going. Many of your own fans have said that Brohm will actually use UofL as a stepping stone for bigger jobs or the NFL. My question is why does he have to do that at UofL and not at Purdue? Why would he head to another rebuild with the risk of it not being successful when he has already put the work in at Purdue for success with a proven recruiting class that could end up ranked in the top 20 (dependent on finalized rankings and additions like David Bell)?

Don't get me wrong in that UofL has the advantage of emotion in this situation BUT the way UofL has gone about this situation is negating a lot of that advantage that you have. Unless Brohm has already agreed to a contract but instead has said he will take time to think because of the timing, it allows him to play different scenarios in his mind where Purdue has advantages that UofL does not.

The best play would have been to allow Petrino to finish the season and put a full court press on Brohm on the Sunday/Monday following the IU game. Emotion, at that time, would have been able to been a bigger factor. I do understand why Petrino was fired mid-season though and believe that Tyra's hand had been forced because of the abysmal play and fan support.

My honest opinion: Right now it is likely 60/40 in favor of UofL with a lot dependent on how Purdue plays over the last two weeks. If they win the last two weeks, I believe it makes Purdue a hard opportunity to turn down given they may be the favorite in the West next season given the number of players coming back: 7 offense 9 on defense. If they struggle, lose, and miss a bowl game...he may jump at the UofL job looking at it as two programs at similar places and he may in fact have an easier time recruiting to UofL for a host of different reasons.

^Can't refute anything you said. My only comment would be that I think you're putting too much thought into it.

If you're a coach that has an opportunity to take a job that you want.....you aren't going to pass it up because you have a pretty good team coming back or because you'll be favored to win a weak division. Coaches don't think like that.

If Jeff Brohm wants to be the next coach at Louisville, he likely already knows it. Nothing Purdue can do in the next 2 weeks is going to affect that aside from Purdue offering him an absolutely insane salary. Jeff has had 2 opportunities to say he's coming back to Purdue and hasn't done that. That's telling....and if he makes it to December 6th without coming out and plainly confirming he will be at Purdue next year.....I would say we'll know pretty soon why.

^Can't refute anything you said. My only comment would be that I think you're putting too much thought into it.

If you're a coach that has an opportunity to take a job that you want.....you aren't going to pass it up because you have a pretty good team coming back or because you'll be favored to win a weak division. Coaches don't think like that.

If Jeff Brohm wants to be the next coach at Louisville, he likely already knows it. Nothing Purdue can do in the next 2 weeks is going to affect that aside from Purdue offering him an absolutely insane salary. Jeff has had 2 opportunities to say he's coming back to Purdue and hasn't done that. That's telling....and if he makes it to December 6th without coming out and plainly confirming he will be at Purdue next year.....I would say we'll know pretty soon why.
Agreed. I happen to think that unless UofL is ready to offer as much as $6, there is a very good chance Purdue's AD could realistically offer that much plus as much as $4.5 million in support salary. Could UofL, right now, realistically give near $11 million per year in salary? If Purdue believes THE ONLY way for their success to continue is with Brohm, they would gladly offer Brohm top 5 type money (near or above $6 million per year) because it would be valuable to do so.

However, if Purdue's AD believes the foundation has been built and it is no longer a total rebuild but rather a continuation of culture and recruiting, he may believe he can find another candidate to carry on what Brohm has left behind.

Either way you cut this, both programs are in a better place now than they were at the start of this year. If UofL hires Brohm, they receive the coach their fans wanted and Purdue has the ability to show a larger pool of highly qualified candidates the success that is able to be attained at Purdue. If Brohm stays at Purdue, UofL is still able to pursue a number of highly qualified candidates based on your new AD, President, and stadium upgrades (you still have ugly chairs though).

Too many people are looking at this in a short term perspective. In the longer term, Louisville has a lot to offer. The program, though currently having a bad year, is generally in good shape- the roster is talented, the facilities are excellent, and it has been proven that Louisville is a place you can recruit to and where you can win. Just because Purdue is having a better year this year doesn’t make it suddenly a better program. It’s not.
Whatever JB decides to do, he really can’t make a bad decision. Louisville will have an excellent coach in the next few weeks. We will see if Jeff is that guy.

Reactions: EKYCard643
Many of your own fans have said that Brohm will actually use UofL as a stepping stone for bigger jobs or the NFL. My question is why does he have to do that at UofL and not at Purdue?
That's completely out of context. Many UofL fans have said that they believe that should JB come home, the only thing that he would leave for is the NFL. Pretty big difference.

and lose his leveraging power? lol. He did the same thing last year with Tennessee.
So using your rationale, the coach that you desperately want to hold onto, has now engaged with two schools in two years about their HC positions and AT BEST for purdue, (has) is using those opportunities to leverage more money out of you?

How does that make you feel better? o_O

That's completely out of context. Many UofL fans have said that they believe that should JB come home, the only thing that he would leave for is the NFL. Pretty big difference.
I didn't take it out of context. There were other posts stating Brohm would only leave to go to Bama, OSU, etc....or the NFL. Why or how would that be any different at Purdue? If his goal is to get to the NFL or a top 8-10 job in college, wouldn't he be better served to take the known commodity in Purdue with a potential top 20 recruiting class, and the culture already established vs. the unknowns at Louisville?

When you change jobs in college football, nothing is guaranteed.

Again, the emotional decision is UofL and I'm not trying to argue that UofL has a strong advantage in that single category. But taking all else in to account...it is a push or advantage to Purdue. When you look at the culture and where both programs currently sit, Purdue has the advantage in that Brohm has already established his identity, his culture, his expectations, and knows he can recruit to Purdue.

Either way, both programs are better off now and will be in the future because of Jeff Brohm and because of Vince Tyra.

I didn't take it out of context. There were other posts stating Brohm would only leave to go to Bama, OSU, etc....or the NFL. Why or how would that be any different at Purdue? If his goal is to get to the NFL or a top 8-10 job in college, wouldn't he be better served to take the known commodity in Purdue with a potential top 20 recruiting class, and the culture already established vs. the unknowns at Louisville?

When you change jobs in college football, nothing is guaranteed.

Again, the emotional decision is UofL and I'm not trying to argue that UofL has a strong advantage in that single category. But taking all else in to account...it is a push or advantage to Purdue. When you look at the culture and where both programs currently sit, Purdue has the advantage in that Brohm has already established his identity, his culture, his expectations, and knows he can recruit to Purdue.

Either way, both programs are better off now and will be in the future because of Jeff Brohm and because of Vince Tyra.
It's different because in his two years at purdue, he (his reps) has talked to two different programs about their HC positions. What that means is that JB already considers purdue a steppingstone - and to programs that (as much as I and the volunqueers would like to believe are) are not close to the current level of the Gumps or the Bucknuts.

Should JB come home, IMO opinion, it would take the NFL or a top 5 CFB program to get his attention. If he comes home - he's not talking to South Carolina, Michigan St. or Miami about HC vacancies. That's the difference between UofL and purdue.

It's different because in his two years at purdue, he (his reps) has talked to two different programs about their HC positions. What that means is that JB already considers purdue a steppingstone - and to programs that (as much as I and the volunqueers would like to believe are) are not close to the current level of the Gumps or the Bucknuts.

Should JB come home, IMO opinion, it would take the NFL or a top 5 CFB program to get his attention. If he comes home - he's not talking to South Carolina, Michigan St. or Miami about HC vacancies. That's the difference between UofL and purdue.
And maybe not even that. Maybe when he moves back he realizes what he's been missing with his family and never wants to leave. Maybe he doesn't even want to go to the NFL

Reactions: BPGhost

Can I have clarification that you are saying UofL is a more attractive job than Miami? The same Miami team that has had 4 national titles in the last 30 years?

Can I have clarification that you are saying UofL is a more attractive job than Miami? The same Miami team that has had 4 national titles in the last 30 years?

Thank you for the clarification but that isn't how your message read.
You may want to re-read my message because there really wasn't any ambiguity about it. I said that should JB come home - it would take a top 5 CFB program or, the NFL for him to leave here. That programs like the ones that I mentioned - that included Miami - would not be ones that he would consider. Not because you couldn't objectively argue that they are better programs - just that they weren't enough of a jump that JB would leave UofL for them.

Again, that IMO is another difference between UofL and purdue. For Jeff Brohm.

Understand now?

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
to quote from the greatest band to ever play-

"Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone
Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back... He's gone"

Grateful Dead - He's Gone Lyrics

Oh No, the Fat Lady ate a big meal last night and she doesn’t plan any more concerts before Christmas!

You may want to re-read my message because there really wasn't any ambiguity about it. I said that should JB come home - it would take a top 5 CFB program or, the NFL for him to leave here. That programs like the ones that I mentioned - that included Miami - would not be ones that he would consider. Not because you couldn't objectively argue that they are better programs - just that they weren't enough of a jump that JB would leave UofL for them.

Understand now?

I'm probably wrong, but.....I kind of think that if Jeff has the level of success that places like Ohio State or Auburn are seriously considering throwing huge money at him that he might stay at Louisville. I mean if he's that successful at Louisville we all know that Vince and UL will make sure he's well compensated so would he really leave home to go to a blue blood? I mean, maybe...probably. But I'm just saying if he's tasted the level of success that would cause those type of schools to come after him then he knows he can win big AND stay home so why leave?

Again, I'm just saying if there's a candidate out there who would blow off the big boys to stay home and continue his work where he grew up and played.....its Jeff Brohm.

Understand now?
Thank you for the clarification. Was clearly reading with my Gold and Black glasses on.

Still believe it isn’t a done deal with Brohm yet to UofL and that he will allow both sides to give their pitch and then make a decision that includes those in his inner circle.

Good luck to you either way it turns put

Thank you for the clarification. Was clearly reading with my Gold and Black glasses on.

Still believe it isn’t a done deal with Brohm yet to UofL and that he will allow both sides to give their pitch and then make a decision that includes those in his inner circle.

Good luck to you either way it turns put
Good luck to Purdue as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT