ADVERTISEMENT

Breakdown of Kentucky University Boards...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
This issue has been raised time and again with respect to U of L's BoT and how it compares. So I went to each university's website to get the breakdown of Board representation for "university affiliated" members as well as U of L and LPT alumni. "Affiliation" means alumni/graduates, faculty and staff members, and students of a particular university.

This first chart shows the representation on the Boards of Kentucky's largest universities by its own affiliated members...

Boards%2001_zps3zdixxew.jpg

U of L has the lowest representation of its own affiliated Board members at 46%. LPT is about average for the rest.

This second chart shows the representation of unaffiliated members on the respective Boards, focusing on U of L and LPT alumni. These are Board members without an affiliation to the university for which those people serve. U of L is obviously the highest overall on this basis, and LPT grads clearly exceed other alumni on Boards statewide. (NOTE: the percentages between the two charts don't necessarily sum to 100 because of "cross affiliations", i.e., multiple degrees involving different schools).
Boards%2002_zpssgtl0nnu.jpg

I may try a statistical test on the first chart to see if any differences are statistically significant. If they are, that would mean the process resulting in the numbers shown is not random, but rather, due to some other potentially assignable factor...

Last edited:
Nice. Thanks Zipp. I may use this in a letter to Bevin’s.

Unfortunately not all degrees are considered equal. If I want to go into dentistry, I’m going to U of L. Look at the KYTC, most of their engineers are UK grads. U of L Speed school is top notch too but if your degree is from WKU, for example, it’s just not held in the same regard unfortunately. I really don’t know about the other disciplines like business, accounting, finance, management, etc.

Last edited:
One theory I heard advanced by Mike Rutherford is that U of L's % could be lower because of the history of the school, alumni base, etc.

It sounds plausible until you consider that Northern Kentucky's 64% representation is achieved for an institution that didn't have four-year programs until 1968, and one that's situated near a large population (Cincy) of alumni from other universities. And U of L's enrollment is 50% higher than NKU's.

So you can make that number higher even for a smaller, newer school...

Aren't these charts in conflict?

The first one shows Murray State as being 100% affiliated, and the 2nd shows them at about 28% unaffiliated. Maybe I took a stupid pill this morning, if so please feel free to set me straight.

Aren't these charts in conflict?

The first one shows Murray State as being 100% affiliated, and the 2nd shows them at about 28% unaffiliated. Maybe I took a stupid pill this morning, if so please feel free to set me straight.
Good question, and that's what the "NOTE" is about in the OP... Some of Murray's grads on their Board also hold U of L and LPT degrees. What I call "cross affiliations".

The %s between the charts may or may not sum precisely to 100%. Louisville's, for example, do...

Reactions: JohnKBA
Good question, and that's what the "NOTE" is about in the OP... Some of Murray's grads on their Board also hold U of L and LPT degrees. What I call "cross affiliations".

The %s between the charts may or may not sum precisely to 100%. Louisville's, for example, do...

Makes sense. I figured I had missed something.

Another place beside U of L's board of directors where U.K. alumni seem to be disproportionately present are the legal teams of people involved in this latest athletic department fiasco. Sheryl Snyder, the Jurich attorney from yesterday's news conference and Steve Pence, Pitino's attorney both received their law degree from U.K.

I seem to remember Katrina Powell's attorney, Larry Wilder, has a law degree from U of L. But that was the NCAA investigation before this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: HexxenHammer
Another place beside U of L's board of directors where U.K. alumni seem to be disproportionately present are the legal teams of people involved in this latest athletic department fiasco. Sheryl Snyder, the Jurich attorney from yesterday's news conference and Steve Pence, Pitino's attorney both received their law degree from U.K.

I seem to remember Katrina Powell's attorney, Larry Wilder, has a law degree from U of L. But that was the NCAA investigation before this one.
Do you think they won’t try as hard because of their ties to UK?

Do you think they won’t try as hard because of their ties to UK?

Depends on their loyalty and more importantly motive for being on the board. Time will tell. I for one do not trust this BOT especially Grissom. None of the members outside of the Pizza man have donated that much money to UofL. So, their loyalty and motive comes into question. At least for me.

Depends on their loyalty and more importantly motive for being on the board. Time will tell. I for one do not trust this BOT especially Grissom. None of the members outside of the Pizza man have donated that much money to UofL. So, their loyalty and motive comes into question. At least for me.
The attorneys loyalty lies with their career and reputation, not with the sports teams they support. They will do their jobs. Where they received their degrees matters not. But this does throw some mud on the OP's point.

Oh hell, I just saw where Kay Ivey, governor of the state of Alabama and University of Alabama Board Member is an Auburn University graduate... It must be conspiracy to keep Alabama from winning the NC ever again. She’s in league with four other Board members who graduated from UAB. What’s this world coming to?

Reactions: Knucklehank1
The attorneys loyalty lies with their career and reputation, not with the sports teams they support. They will do their jobs. Where they received their degrees matters not. But this does throw some mud on the OP's point.
So said a slapd!ck.

Lawyers are a unique pedigree; some will sell their own grandmothers for a successful case. But they're all trained to serve the clients who compensate them. If you guys wanna use another discipline to wage a counterargument, I'll listen.

Unless you're a slappy... :cool:

So said a slapd!ck.

Lawyers are a unique pedigree; some will sell their own grandmothers for a successful case. But they're all trained to serve the clients who compensate them. If you guys wanna use another discipline to wage a counterargument, I'll listen.

Unless you're a slappy... :cool:
So I take it you're riding with the conspiracy theory narrative?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kentucky31
So I take it you're riding with the conspiracy theory narrative?
I simply quoted facts that support that.

Typically, I'm not a conspiracy theory guy. But Jurich wasn't terminated for good reason which makes you look for other reasons...

Typically, I'm not a conspiracy theory guy. But Jurich wasn't terminated for good reason which makes you look for other reasons...
Where everyone attended college is fact but you can't prove intent beyond that. It's an interesting take for sure, albeit a stretch.

Where everyone attended college is fact but you can't prove intent beyond that. It's an interesting take for sure, albeit a stretch.
Again, said the slapd!ck WRT a disproportionate number of slapd!cks on all of these university boards.

LPT claims 216,000 alumni and U of L, 130,000--a ratio of 1.66-to-1. There are 29 LPT-affiliated trustees/regents on these boards vs. 10 with a U of L affiliation, a ratio of 2.90-to-1. Those ratios and alumni stats indicate that...
  • LPT is over-represented by 12.4 trustees/regents statewide
  • U of L is under-represented by 7.4 trustees/regents
  • Or some combination of those two stats
Of course, a slapd!ck is looking for other cause-and-effects...

Again, said the slapd!ck WRT a disproportionate number of slapd!cks on all of these university boards.

LPT claims 216,000 alumni and U of L, 130,000--a ratio of 1.66-to-1. There are 29 LPT-affiliated trustees/regents on these boards vs. 10 with a U of L affiliation, a ratio of 2.90-to-1. Those ratios and alumni stats indicate that...

Nice research work but none of this proves intent. It really doesn't prove anything. Well I guess it proves that the university happens to appoint lots of UK grads I guess. I really don't know what to say about that. Like I said it's an interesting theory but collusion is a stretch. I am curious, who exactly (or what intity) is at the crux of this operation? Who stands to gain from it?

Oh hell, I just saw where Kay Ivey, governor of the state of Alabama and University of Alabama Board Member is an Auburn University graduate... It must be conspiracy to keep Alabama from winning the NC ever again. She’s in league with four other Board members who graduated from UAB. What’s this world coming to?

You do understand what UAB stands for? And you do understand the association between Bama and UAB?

Reactions: Vestavia57

Those numbers are just that, numbers intended to influence a point. I would rather consider the fact that U of L did not become a part of the state system until 1970. Accreditation in education was in 1968, justice 1969, nursing 1979, urban affairs 1983. Hell speed school wasn’t fully recognized until 2003. All this means is if you are my age 55+ if you wanted to major in any of these areas, you had to go somewhere else besides U of L.

Those numbers are just that, numbers intended to influence a point. I would rather consider the fact that U of L did not become a part of the state system until 1970. Accreditation in education was in 1968, justice 1969, nursing 1979, urban affairs 1983. Hell speed school wasn’t fully recognized until 2003. All this means is if you are my age 55+ if you wanted to major in any of these areas, you had to go somewhere else besides U of L.
See the NKU example earlier in this thread. It's simply an issue to overcome, IF IT IS an issue...

Nice research work but none of this proves intent. It really doesn't prove anything. Well I guess it proves that the university happens to appoint lots of UK grads I guess. I really don't know what to say about that. Like I said it's an interesting theory but collusion is a stretch. I am curious, who exactly (or what intity) is at the crux of this operation? Who stands to gain from it?
Data never do prove intent. Of course, the federal government says that's good enough to come down on an employer for discriminatory practices.

My objective is to provide ammunition to make the intent argument. The data sure do not prove there's no evidence of intent. Which might suck for a slapd!ck...

Data never do prove intent. Of course, the federal government says that's good enough to come down on an employer for discriminatory practices.

My objective is to provide ammunition to make the intent argument. The data sure do not prove there's no evidence of intent. Which might suck for a slapd!ck...
If you say data does not prove intent then stop trying to prove intent with data. You're using a brainwashing method. You just contradicted your some from paragraph 1 to paragraph 2 in your post.

Don't worry, nothing really sucks right now for a slapd!ck

If you say data does not prove intent then stop trying to prove intent with data. You're using a brainwashing method. You just contradicted your some from paragraph 1 to paragraph 2 in your post...
The data sure do indicate something is amiss. But find me the quote where I said something is for sure going on. (Don't look too hard 'cuz it doesn't exist.)

And I gotta chuckle at the thought of a slapd!ck giving me marching orders ("stop trying") on a U of L forum. Would you like me to tell you what that's worth?
...Don't worry, nothing really sucks right now for a slapd!ck
That's 'cuz the FBI hasn't knocked on your door yet. They generally save the best for last.

"Elite program," my a$$...

Last edited:
The data sure do indicate something is amiss. But find me the quote where I said something is for sure going on. (Don't look too hard 'cuz it doesn't exist.)

And I gotta chuckle at the thought of a slapd!ck giving me marching orders ("stop trying") on a U of L forum. Would you like me to tell you that's worth?

That's 'cuz the FBI hasn't knocked on your door yet. They generally save the best for last.

If you don't think something for sure is going on then what are you talking about? Hitch your wagon. Let's get into it. It's actually a pretty interesting discussion.

If you don't think something for sure is going on then what are you talking about? Hitch your wagon. Let's get into it. It's actually a pretty interesting discussion.
I have no idea what you're now talking about...

In regards to your conspiracy theory. Who is behind it and why? What is to gain from UK infiltrating Louisville? How did they pull it off?
Why the hell do you keep asking me about conspiracy theories? Because I've reported data on university boards? Start a thread here asking that question of all comers...you'll get plenty of replies because there's plenty of smoke.

Slappies are dense, but sometimes even I forget how dense.

You asked why I keep bringing up conspiracies. I'm inviting you to expand on your post made earlier today. You are clearly losing track of your own posts. Yet it's me that's dense?

You asked why I keep bringing up conspiracies. I'm inviting you to expand on your post made earlier today. You are clearly losing track of your own posts. Yet it's me that's dense?
I'm not being baited into your precious, little narrative. As they say, "the facts speak for themselves."

You just can't stand that I won't debate your position. Tough.

I'm not being baited into your precious, little narrative. As they say, "the facts speak for themselves."

You just can't stand that I won't debate your position. Tough.

I have no interest in debating it. I was just inviting you to elaborate.

I will gladly play.
As a near 60 year old, lifelong Kentucky resident growing up in the mountains of eastern Kentucky and moving to Louisville as a teen I am well aware of how this state works. I attended UK and graduated from a private college in the Lexington area . It has been exhibited time and again with state government that they will protect and promote UK first and foremost over any other state institution.

Point 1: why would a state as historically poor as Kentucky is ,start a medical school from scratch in 1956 when the University of Louisville had the 9th oldest medical school in the country ( founded in the early 1800's? (Granted U of L was not a part of the state system then but why do such a thing if there is a nationally recognized medical school in the states largest city?) Because Happy Chandler got his name put on it? Still seems a a waste of funds and Louisville's Medical School has nowhere near the funding or infrastructure that has allowed UK to create what is in place .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT