ADVERTISEMENT

Break out player

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Who's flying under the radar that won't be come May?
I don't know if Britton could be considered under our radar, but nationally he might be.

Reactions: PHCARD and Deeva
I'm going to say Henry Davis. He had some highlight moments last season, so, like Britton, he isn't exactly under our radar. I've got high expectations for him. So much so, I predict he leads the team, behind Binelas, of course, in home runs.

Watch out for Bianco as well. Coming off a redshirt year as a Sophomore, he has moved himself into the spot at 1st base. He is a legitimate HR threat as well. Actually, Britton too. Put these 2 with Binelas and Davis and I think these guys are gonna hit a bunch of dingers this season....a bunch.

Reactions: Deeva
I'm going to say Henry also. All last year I kept saying this kid is going to be good, real good. This is Henry's break out season! Oh Henry!!!!

Reactions: earsky
Ohhhh Henry is right. Davis had an outstanding Fall. He was the most consistent hitter I saw during Fall Ball.
Not only power,but he's learned to go with the pitch when the count isn't in his favor.

Reactions: PHCARD
Remember the name Masterman.

If Britton isn't in Left field, this guy will be.

I'm now having dreams of warmer than normal weather in Feb & March, heck even April, like we've had for the last week. DREAM ON!!!!

Reactions: mattsefcovic
Dalton Rushing is a Freshman that looked impressive in the Fall. He yet another guy that has some punch with the bat. I was hearing his name a lot at the field.

Masterman, somewhat like Oriente, would initially seem like the second tier guys - defensively. I’ll take Oriente’s bat everyday though. I think the ball Masterman hit last year is still traveling in the air somewhere. Depth allows the coach to insert someone else if player 1 is stalled a bit. Then you get that ‘wait, who is that guy and where did he come from moment’.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see a number of guys on this list. I completely agree on Britton, Davis, Bianco, and Masterman, but remember Andrew Benefield. Showed a lot of power this fall and it should be tough to keep him out of the lineup. Also remember the names Levi Usher and Luke Brown, both JUCO transfers that should start in the OF and put up impressive numbers last season.

Pitching wise, I look for Kerry Wright to contribute quite a bit this season. He was a top 100 player in the 2018 class but struggled last year with his control, which can easily be fixed after a year with Roger Williams.

I’ll have a post previewing the season coming out tomorrow morning!

Reactions: PHCARD
Wright had off season surgery I think. He has been practicing and I hope all is well with him.
Bennefield's problem is those 2 JUCO outfielders. They have pushed Dunn back into the infield. That and Laveys return.

I think that’s the main problem with this years team. Having this much depth means a few of them may not get as much playing time as they normally would. It’s going to be interesting to see how McDonnell moves the pieces around.

Reactions: PHCARD and earsky
Took in about 5.5 innings on Sunday. Man this team is loaded. Want to echo the name of Dalton Rushing who seemed to standout to me. Not only because he was crushing balls during BP but also crushed a 1-2 pitch from Prosecky in the 1st inning, who got the first 2 batters out easily. The wind was blowing in slightly but Dalton’s ball easily cleared the trees in RF. He has legit power. His 2nd at bat, he almost laid down a perfect bunt for a hit. It’s going to be hard to keep his bat out of the lineup. Although listed as a C, he played exclusively at 1st. Also with Davis, Metzinger and Britton/Bianco at C, need to find a spot for him either at 1st or DH.

Reactions: earsky and PHCARD
We might see Rushing at 1st against righties and Bianco go against lefties.
It is gonna be interesting to see how CM whittles his way through all this quality depth.

Davis is my pick. He has experience. As long as he is better defensively he will be a star. Elite arm. He can hit to all fields with power.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT