ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens Turned Down 10 Million A Year At IU

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
"That Indiana University job that opened a few weeks ago," Wojnarowski said. "I was told that Indiana was prepared to offer him seven years, $70 million."

In addition, there are a number of challenges that come with being a college coach, as Stevens is quite familiar with from his days at Butler. Most notably, recruiting, which is an exhausting exercise. If the actual basketball responsibilities weren't enough, college coaches have to spend months and months each year trying to convince players to join the program. Obviously Stevens has multiple reasons he didn't want to leave the NBA, but that's likely at the top of the list.

Back when choosing a coach was heavily discussed on this board, some said that most college coaches that go to the NBA do not desire to go back to the college ranks. The main reason was recruiting.

Sounds like a big hassle, especially nowadays, and takes up a big chunk of the coach's time and energy in addition to other coaching duties. Most of them don't miss that part of college ball at all, including Stevens who is still rather young. Of course there are exceptions to this, as we've seen, but for the most part it seems coaches are happier to stay around in the NBA if they can, than to go back to the college grind of year round recruiting.

"That Indiana University job that opened a few weeks ago," Wojnarowski said. "I was told that Indiana was prepared to offer him seven years, $70 million."

In addition, there are a number of challenges that come with being a college coach, as Stevens is quite familiar with from his days at Butler. Most notably, recruiting, which is an exhausting exercise. If the actual basketball responsibilities weren't enough, college coaches have to spend months and months each year trying to convince players to join the program. Obviously Stevens has multiple reasons he didn't want to leave the NBA, but that's likely at the top of the list.
In addition to the things you mention, IU is THE state university. That includes kissing every big money donor, every recruit who grew up wanting to play for IU and every HS coach dead square between the buttocks.

Purdon't has become a better job in terms of job expectation and longevity. Get to the 2nd weekend in the tourney and call it a day,

How many on this board would enjoy actual recruiting?

How many could be successful at it?

How many could not take it personally when a kid said “no”. Or worse, said “yes”, then 6 months later said “changed my mind, you’re not showing me enough love”?

Then, have listen to a bunch of jack wads say “you just need to recruit better”.... :rolleyes:

I’d venture not many.

I know I couldn’t. And I wouldn’t.

I am very interested to see this next great group of coaches and how long it is before they jump to the NBA. College basketball, the idiot NCAA and everything around it is ruining the college game!

How many on this board would enjoy actual recruiting?

How many could be successful at it?

How many could not take it personally when a kid said “no”. Or worse, said “yes”, then 6 months later said “changed my mind, you’re not showing me enough love”?

Then, have listen to a bunch of jack wads say “you just need to recruit better”.... :rolleyes:

I’d venture not many.

I know I couldn’t. And I wouldn’t.
I think it's not as bad if you're at a program with the resources to attract great recruits, hire top notch assistants, and have the facilities and staff to scout and develop talent. It's not as hard when the commits want to come to you.

NBA is not great if you aren't a big name like Popp, Phil Jackson, Kerr, etc. Brad Stevens has stability in Boston and they seem to want to keep him. But in college, you're the king of your castle. Big money contracts and the media/stress is much smaller.

But again, Brad Stevens is in a good spot coaching in what used to be the basketball dream job for guys his age. Boston is a great city & he has been there where he's a powerful voice over the young players he's coached up since they've arrived.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT