ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games, like MLB’s All Star Game Obsolete?

CTownCard

One-Star Poster
Nov 7, 2013
For the past twenty years MLB has be trying to make the All Star game meaningful, but I argue that all pro sports all star games are a relic of the past. Then I will connect to most bowl games. I can only speak to my experience. In the 1970s we got One 1 nationally televised baseball game of the week. Since I grew up in Louisville we got mostly National league games. Since my dad worked at the CJ&Times, I learned to read box scores at a young age. I would read about Catfish Hunter, Reggie Jackson, Rod Carew, but only got to see them in the WS or All Star games. Great players like Carew and Al Kaline never made the World Series during this time, it was exciting to see if Tom Seaver could strike out Dick Allen or if Johnny Bench could homer off of Jim Palmer. But since the turn of the century we get a choice of tons of games, YouTube Videos can show the latest and rookie sensation. Before 24 hour sports programming it was cool to see American League versus the National League, could Artis Gilmore and Dr J hang with the NBA? Just think of how much it meant to the players back then too. Or ask Ray Fosse (I still say Rose was right to plow him over, he was blocking the plate).

Pre BCS, there where a lot less bowls, of course the Louisville’s, Boise States, et al were left out of most good ones. Remember we only got the Fiesta Bowl invite because of Arizona’s refusal to honor MLK). But winning the the Cotton Bowl, Liberty Bowl, et al was a real accomplishment. Now with the four team playoffs, it makes no sense for NFL bound seniors to participate. Look at what is happening to Florida’s QB by having his top four wide receivers missing. just before the game I was thinking he could work his way up to the second pick, not three interceptions in the first half. What a joke of a game. Now with ESPN, Fox Sports, ACC network we get a lot of football all year. But if there is nothing in it for the players, why should they really care anymore. How about instead of giving them goofy gift bags with stupid swag from their sponsors pay them all $1000 and all players who dress for bowl season get their name put into a lottery for $1 million dollars.

The NCAA would kill that idea in a second. They are rabid about amateurism, even though it’s a joke. They don’t care that the athletes aren’t real students; only that they don’t do what any other student can do- earn money while going to college. Nice thought, though.

How about telling the players
“we know your making a business decision and we have no quarrel. All you need to do is pay us for 3 (or 4) years of room, board, tuition, and medical care. I hope you can understand that we are simply making a business decision”
(I would give a pass if they have a degree)

A “scholarship” is in essence a contract. They play football to get a degree. No degree, and no play...breaks the contract.

But they won’t. And we fans will get stuck with the bill as usual.

Reactions: TDredbird
“we know your making a business decision and we have no quarrel. All you need to do is pay us for 3 (or 4) years of room, board, tuition, and medical care. I hope you can understand that we are simply making a business decision”

A “scholarship” is in essence a contract. They play football to get a degree. No degree, and no play...breaks the contract.

The problem is that bowls are after the semester has ended so it’s tough to hold sway over athletes at that point.

I am okay with college football players opting out of bowl games if they believe it is in their best interest. If they are smart, they take advantage of their scholarship and get their degree before leaving to try the NFL draft. In NCAA football (FBS, FCS and D2), there are about 25,000 scholarship players each year but only 1696 NFL roster spots, which translates into roughly a 6% chance of making an NFL roster each year.

I don't see any reason to incentivize players to play another college football game, unless you can come up with a scheme where you buy every player who decides to do so an insurance policy that replaces potentially millions of dollars in lost wages in the event of an injury. That's not going to be economically feasible.

Major college programs have 85 scholarship players, which translates to only slightly less than 4 players for each spot. Every D1 program can afford to have a few players opt out of a bowl game, because each should have several young players who have been looking for the opportunity to make a name for themselves in the bowl game. Next man up!

The TV ratings for bowls still being in good viewership and money, so they still matter in a sense.

They could only demand one year, since the GIA is only for one year. Otherwise not a bad idea.

I am okay with college football players opting out of bowl games if they believe it is in their best interest. If they are smart, they take advantage of their scholarship and get their degree before leaving to try the NFL draft. In NCAA football (FBS, FCS and D2), there are about 25,000 scholarship players each year but only 1696 NFL roster spots, which translates into roughly a 6% chance of making an NFL roster each year.

I don't see any reason to incentivize players to play another college football game, unless you can come up with a scheme where you buy every player who decides to do so an insurance policy that replaces potentially millions of dollars in lost wages in the event of an injury. That's not going to be economically feasible.

Major college programs have 85 scholarship players, which translates to only slightly less than 4 players for each spot. Every D1 program can afford to have a few players opt out of a bowl game, because each should have several young players who have been looking for the opportunity to make a name for themselves in the bowl game. Next man up!
Almost all those roster spots are already filled by somebody, so the likelihood of actually landing a roster spot is even lower than that, even for the FBS guys. FCS and DII is vanishing small.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT