ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Reed interview with David Grissom

Didn't watch. But, did hear Billy on Deener this morning talking about it. He's a big time Grissom homer. I mean, he was singing his praises. Then he gushed about Davenport as the next coach. He'd be the least riskiest in terms of embracing the community, to paraphrase. WTF does that even mean? We need a guy to come in right now to get players- to have the current players stay on board. Then go worry about the community. We need a rock star, not some folksy local boy. <EDIT> I'd also like to add, even though we are on the bball board, that Deener asked Reed about Grissom's position on Petrino. He kind of stammered, then gave a vague answer "we haven't spoken about that." Reed also confirmed Grissom will have a say who the next bball coach is. It won't be as it has been- the AD picks his guy then the BOT approves. Tyra doesn't make a hire without Grissom's approval. Grissom = control freak.

Last edited:
I like Scotty a lot, he learned under Crum, and his record at BU shows it.

If it's just X's and O's (coaching) Scotty is probably as good as anybody, and better than 90%.

Can he recruit on a National Level?

Can anybody recruit on a National level if the $hoe companies aren't in it?

If the money gets cut out, he'd have the same resources as anybody. The U of L name and history.

Back here on earth, we all know the money will never go away. So we need a magic name to go with it.

But if SD is thrown in it, we'll see some good fundamental basketball.

Reactions: American Male
I haven't had time to listen to it yet but did Grissom have anything to say about the lack of transparency at the University of Louisville? Did Billy Reed ask him about all the closed door decisions being made or was it a love fest?

Scotty would have been the perfect interim coach as a tryout for the permanent job and then we could have seen if what he does translates to big boy basketball. Too bad our brain trust didn't think that far ahead.

Scotty would have been the perfect interim coach as a tryout for the permanent job and then we could have seen if what he does translates to big boy basketball. Too bad our brain trust didn't think that far ahead.

The brain trust listened to the players. And rightfully so. Not sure our guys would have wanted to play for Scotty.

Reactions: GoldCard
I heard from a friend that a lot of players will be transferring. I hope he is wrong but I think it would depend on who the next coach is.

I heard from a friend that a lot of players will be transferring. I hope he is wrong but I think it would depend on who the next coach is.

It is a distinct possibility. I believe most are taking a wait and see approach to see who the next coach will be before making their decisions.

The brain trust listened to the players. And rightfully so. Not sure our guys would have wanted to play for Scotty.
Then let them go. Some of the time they appeared to not want to play for David. The long term interests of the program is way more important than what the players want. Letting them pick the coach is stupid.

Then let them go. Some of the time they appeared to not want to play for David. The long term interests of the program is way more important than what the players want. Letting them pick the coach is stupid.

Given the circumstances and the timing, Postel really had no other choice.

And truthfully neither did the players. No one was going to transfer if Padgett was not hired. Postel demonstrated poor leadership.

I'm not a fan of Postel. I look forward to his tenure being over, but he did the right thing then. DP was the last coach standing, the players wanted him, and practice for the season was about to start. There really was no other way. And I don't think Scotty would have left Bellarmine like that. That would have said something about his character.

I'm not a fan of Postel. I look forward to his tenure being over, but he did the right thing then. DP was the last coach standing, the players wanted him, and practice for the season was about to start. There really was no other way. And I don't think Scotty would have left Bellarmine like that. That would have said something about his character.
That may all be true but Jurich would have thought outside the box and gone for Scotty or the best available option even with short notice. He would not have taken the easy way out in my opinion.

That may all be true but Jurich would have thought outside the box and gone for Scotty or the best available option even with short notice. He would not have taken the easy way out in my opinion.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. We'll never know. Also, speaking of Jurich, Reed flat out said Grissom wanted Jurich gone because he didn't want a new president to have any power struggles with Jurich. He thought Jurich would have scared potential candidates away. So, instead of being honest with him, laying out their plan, offering him a severance package, they trumped up bogus causes. It's funny to me how Grissom hated Jurich's power, but Grissom now yields all this power. It's ok for him to have it, but bad if anyone else does.

I haven't had time to listen to it yet but did Grissom have anything to say about the lack of transparency at the University of Louisville? Did Billy Reed ask him about all the closed door decisions being made or was it a love fest?

It was a love fest with softball after softball.

Reactions: cocoa
The interview from Darius Perry said that most of the returning players would like to stay together whether it’s for Padgett or a new coach. He included Malik and Thomas. He said that Nwora and King are two players that want to see who the coach will be.

Reed asked Grissom softball after softaball! No questions about breaking the open meetings laws! No questions about how not raising tuition helps keep good professors, and solid infrastructure? No questions about what he wants in a President! No questions about donors bailing on UL left and right! JUST A JOKE OF AN INTERVIEW!!

Reactions: zipp and SoulSr
The brain trust should have done what needed to be done, and that sure as hell shouldn’t have been to listen to Anas & Co.! You don’t leave big-boy decisions up to a bunch of college kids. Major mistake IMO.

Reed asked Grissom softball after softaball! No questions about breaking the open meetings laws! No questions about how not raising tuition helps keep good professors, and solid infrastructure? No questions about what he wants in a President! No questions about donors bailing on UL left and right! JUST A JOKE OF AN INTERVIEW!!
Billy Reed’s time came and went 15 yrs ago! If he’s a journalist I’m a helicopter pilot!

Some of the points:

a) Grissom wants to accomplish two things - a) Resolve legal matters and b) get a president. Seems like with those things done he will declare victory and step down.

b) Yum center financials are still in doubt - even after restructuring. I assume that includes the $2M more UofL 'agreed' to kick in. But the path to financial stability is NOT known - Grissom makes that clear. And since UofL is the primary tenant there will 'pressure on UofL to fill up the arena.'

c) Talks about how well President search is coming. Makes it sound like there is a defined pool. No real specifics But then talks about how they went around were asking staff what they wanted in President - last week.

Without the mutual gushy love fest this interview could have been done in less than a half hour.

Billy Reed’s time came and went 15 yrs ago! If he’s a journalist I’m a helicopter pilot!
Is that the same Billy Reed that worked for the Binghams back when they owned the Courier Journal? Is so, good grief, why is he still working? He has to be in his 70's.

Is that the same Billy Reed that worked for the Binghams back when they owned the Courier Journal? Is so, good grief, why is he still working? He has to be in his 70's.
He actually worked for Sports Illustrated after leaving the Courier Journal which at that time was definitely the major leagues for sports writers. I think he is probably well into his 70's by now. He just does independent projects at this point I believe.

Reactions: Cue Card
The brain trust should have done what needed to be done, and that sure as hell shouldn’t have been to listen to Anas & Co.! You don’t leave big-boy decisions up to a bunch of college kids. Major mistake IMO.

You do when you have no time.

He actually worked for Sports Illustrated after leaving the Courier Journal which at that time was definitely the major leagues for sports writers. I think he is probably well into his 70's by now. He just does independent projects at this point I believe.
I think he freelances and also writes for Louisville Catholic Sports. IMO, he’s waaay out there with his takes!!!

Perhaps. Perhaps not. We'll never know. Also, speaking of Jurich, Reed flat out said Grissom wanted Jurich gone because he didn't want a new president to have any power struggles with Jurich. He thought Jurich would have scared potential candidates away. So, instead of being honest with him, laying out their plan, offering him a severance package, they trumped up bogus causes. It's funny to me how Grissom hated Jurich's power, but Grissom now yields all this power. It's ok for him to have it, but bad if anyone else does.
That's because the mystery man is a world class hypocrite. Too much power is not good unless he has it.

I heard the podcast of Billy on Deener's show this AM. It's appropriate that those two regularly team up on a 200-watt radio station. That crap about "scaring potential candidates" was unmitigated garbage. Sure a potential President would fear the guy in charge of a $100 million operation that's self-supporting and growing leaps and bounds. Maybe that's an indication of the caliber of Prez that the mystery man is recruiting. Or that Grissom's trying to disguise his own fear.

Billy is perhaps Grissom's biggest cheerleader. Listening to that old gasbag lead cheers are valuable minutes of your life that you can't relive...

Reactions: Bird--man and cocoa
Interview is at least 3-4 old. Reed had been working on this for a long time. Just waiting for the right time to release , which was last week. Again this is simply a fluff piece to introduce he " CHIEF UL BOT SNAKE OIL SALESMAN" to the public

Warning, this interview is about an hour long. Not earth shaking but at least it was an opportunity to hear Grissom speak on the subject which he has not done with anyone else to date.
https://ket.org/episode/KCCHA+000606

An hour-long interview with Billy Reed, yikes. He might very well be a nice guy and I respect his tenure and enjoy his work in print, but I find him unlistenable on the radio. He sounds like some old feller who just got done yellin' at his wife because the WORSH ain't done. And that buddy of his when he calls in, the show turns into two old men at the barbershop reminiscing about the days when they'd go cow-tipping. I only listened to Deener yesterday because of the pre-game stuff and the coach rumors, but typically I skip Tuesdays because of Reed.

"Warning, this interview is an hour long and has Billy Reed talkin' about that thar worsh"

Interview is at least 3-4 old. Reed had been working on this for a long time. Just waiting for the right time to release , which was last week. Again this is simply a fluff piece to introduce he " CHIEF UL BOT SNAKE OIL SALESMAN" to the public

Have you complained to the governor about how he dismantled the board?

Hitting the panic button would have been hiring a DII coach at the last second.
Wrong. "Padgett the Intern" was the ultimate panic button, like putting a candy stripper to assist with surgery.

Have you complained to the governor about how he dismantled the board?
My bad... Billy AND Knucklehead are Grissom's two biggest cheerleaders.

9887c9a59224e1298ffb89809115cbf1.jpg

My bad... Billy AND Knucklehead are Grissom's two biggest cheerleaders.

9887c9a59224e1298ffb89809115cbf1.jpg

Cool meme! No, I actually think Bevin took a horrible approach in dismantling the prior board.

Only hoping for success for UofL. Unfortunately you don’t feel the same.

You bet I did Knuckle Head. Wrote a personal letter, that was mailed. Then also emailed him too. Also wrote a letter to the CJ editorial page. Also have extolled the Governor, and the Attorney General to remove Grissom for his ignoring the states open meetings laws. How about you ? You do anything? Are you a donor? How much have you given? You a season ticket holder in any sport? Your calling me out . Now I am calling you out Knucle Head!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT