ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Walton has passed on

Some loved him, many hated him, but one thing is for sure, he was an interesting human being.

Rest in peace big man.
If you get a chance, I strongly recommend watching the multi-part ESPN special on him from about a year ago. I enjoyed watching him play, especially his near-perfect game to beat Mempjis State in 1973, and also his comeback with the 1986 Celtics, one of the best teams of all time. Others may feel differently, but I also enjoyed his commentary during games, he was never boring from my perspective. Rest in peace big guy, to the bright side of the road!

Last edited:
This hits close to home, as a middle schooler watched him play, in my mind's eye he was always lot older than me. Gulp, He was only 9 years older than me.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
If you get a chance, I strongly recommend watching the multi-part ESPN special on him from about a year ago. I enjoyed watching him play, especially his near-perfect game to beat Mempjis Statein 1973, and also his comeback with the 1986 Celtics, one of the best teams of all time. Others may feel differently, but I also enjoyed his commentary during games, he was never boring from my perspective. Rest in peace big guy, to the bright side of the road!
^^^^^^

Last edited:
If anyone hated him they were a moron. How can anyone hate someone who competed at the highest levels, won with dominance, and absolutely spread love and joy everywhere he went. Simply a legend in all aspects of life
Yeah I never heard of anyone hating Bill Walton, unless it was people that were tired of UCLA’s dominance back then and hated that.

Walton was very candid and got himself in a bit of heat many a times as a announcer. Nobody hated his game or his playing days, it was his career as a basketball announcer where he ruffled quite a few feathers.

For me, he was funny and unpredictable which is why some ended up not being a fan of him. He was direct that's for sure as a leftist politically and geographically. The Pac 10 was always the best conference to Bill.

People hate Dick Vitale for many of the same things. He won't be with us much longer too.

one of my favorite stories of his when he took his fellow celtics to a dead show. for the youngin's out there who never saw, heard or listened to the dead, you missed one of the greatest in person concert experiences ever.

A friend of mine from Memphis ran into him at the airport one time and he introduced himself as a Memphis State fan. He asked Walton if he remembered the 73 title game against MSU and Walton turned to him and said “ Yeah I missed one” and then turned and walked away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT