Bilas corrects NBA draft analyst love it

Discussion in 'Basketball - The Hall' started by REDFISTFURY3, Jun 22, 2017.

1. REDFISTFURY3

REDFISTFURY3 1250+
    Expand Collapse

Analyst says Cal has produced x-mount of NBA picks Bilas corrects him and states "RECRUITS" not "PRODUCE" Sure BBN will let Bilas have it.

gocds likes this.
  2. KozmasAgain

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

They will be upset but how true it is.

JohnCard28 likes this.
  3. ThroughBlue

Expand Collapse

He followed up by saying no coach develops lottery type talent

bluebornwildcat, gocds and kyjeff1 like this.
  4. REDFISTFURY3

REDFISTFURY3 1250+
    Expand Collapse

LOL how convient you state that because Mitchell was a lottery pick haha

JohnCard28 likes this.
  5. KozmasAgain

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

I will explain the difference between the 2 since shockingly you don't know. Calipari gets recruits who are good enough to go pro now but because of the rules they can't. Cal doesn't coach them up or develop them he just provides a platform for them to display their talents.

He gets these recruits from WWW he doesn't even have to recruit them. Pitino gets players who are good athletes like Donovan Mitchell and coaches them into better players.

earsky, gocds, Cue Card and 3 others like this.
  6. ThroughBlue

Expand Collapse

I stated that before Mitchell was selected

7. bigdaddy741

bigdaddy741 No-Ranking Prospect
    Expand Collapse

There are many examples that can refute everything in your post.

I'd research and post them but I work 60 hours a week and have better things to do.

Just one quick example, Jarret Allen. Projected lottery pick before the season, drops to late first round going to Texas. This happens year after year when guys who want to get in the league asap go anywhere other than UK, Duke, or Kansas.

8. rockycard

rockycard 6000+
    Expand Collapse

Like the Harrison twins and Pothress? Ben Simmons played at a non basketball school for a really bad coach, yet he still went #1.

TDredbird and earsky like this.
  9. bigdaddy741

bigdaddy741 No-Ranking Prospect
    Expand Collapse

The twins are doing pretty well. I suppose if they'd played for Maryland they would have been drafted much higher and won a lot more games. Right??

Ben Simmons is the guy that goes top 3 regardless of where he goes. Plus, he quit going to class when the season was over. I don't want a player who does that regardless of how good they are.

And yes, Johnny Jones is one of the worst coaches ever.

lil2coupe likes this.
  10. rockycard

rockycard 6000+
    Expand Collapse

The twins were both considered lottery picks before their freshman seasons, they went two years with one getting drafted in the 2nd round and the other undrafted. You're straying off topic with your spin dude.

11. rockycard

rockycard 6000+
    Expand Collapse

Russ Smith
    Gorgui Dieng
    Donovan Mitchell
    Terry Rozier
    Montrezl Harrell

Those guys were developed in college.

12. Graves51

Graves51 Getting the Hang of It
    Expand Collapse

two names that coach the two universities, Louisville and UK. I consider one of them a great coach and the other a sports agent. Bet EVERYONE knows which is which.

vegasville1, JohnCard28 and gocds like this.
  13. murph_23

murph_23 No-Ranking Prospect
    Expand Collapse

Both are hall of fame coaches. You don't win that many games by being a "sports agent".

14. murph_23

Expand Collapse

Lol pitino does a good job developing players. Saying Cal gets recruits just because of WWW is stupid.

kyjeff1 likes this.
  15. KozmasAgain

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

You need to watch what you say because Steelers will delete your post. He deleted mine because used Big Blew and sUcK in the same post. However back to your post it is not stupid to say WWW is a recruiter for U.K. It is pretty well known that Calipari and several other coaches are connected with WWW.
    Cal has been connected to WWW long before U.K. The talk shows in Memphis used to talk about it all the time when Cal was in Memphis. I guess you don't remember a few years ago when U.K. was in the FF and WWW was sitting front and center and the other coaches requested his removal.

REDFISTFURY3 likes this.
  16. murph_23

Expand Collapse

I don't agree with that because I don't think it's rational to say UK only get recruits because of WWW. I don't plan on saying anything to get deleted or banned. I may be a fan of your rival but I like having conversations with anyone as far as sports are concerned. As far as recruiting goes, picking up Bowen was huge for you guys.

17. KozmasAgain

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

By the way all you have to do is google World Wide Wes and then read the whole article. Then scroll down to the part where it says WWW's association with coaches and players and click on it. Calipari is quoted as saying that WWW is associated with the U.K. Program.

18. murph_23

Expand Collapse

I know who he is, but saying he is the only reason why UK gets recruits still isn't rational. He's obviously not the only reason why.

19. KozmasAgain

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

WWW's place in college basketball is WELL known by everyone. He approaches top athletes and tells them where to go and if they do what he says he promises them a lucrative commercial contract. His connection to Cal goes way back so you can believe what you want to believe but everybody else knows the truth.

20. murph_23

Expand Collapse

So I take it you have seen this take place? Lol dude, you can't even have a rational conversation. Your trying to bait me into an argument. Didn't even want to discuss the five star player you guys signed. I'm not here to argue. I just called out your criticism because Cal has always been a good recruiter and coach. Same as your coach. I didn't agree because it's easy for any coach to recruit kids to Kentucky. Same thing can be said about your program.

21. KozmasAgain

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it is easy to recruit kids to Kentucky the school recruits itself. I guess you forgot the Billy Gillespie years you weren't even getting 2 star athletes. I am not trying to bait you into anything you are the one on our board. As far as Cal is a good coach I disagree with you on that as well.

I am not a U.K. Fan so I don't keep up with anything about your program. I do know that Cal has had around 30 five star athletes and has only won one title. Give that many 5 star athletes to Pitino, Roy Williams, Bill Self and a number of other good coaches and they would have won multiple titles by now.

22. murph_23

Expand Collapse

I try to forget the Gillespie years but he did recruit some good players to Kentucky so your actually wrong. He recruited Patrick patterson, Darius Miller, DeAndre liggins, and Daniel Orton. Even that idiot brought in some good recruits. As far as titles go it's tough to win them regardless of how talented your team's are. Winning it with such a huge turnover of talent is tough with freshman as well. Heck, winning a title is very difficult for any program. The other coaches are good recruiters that you mentioned and it's not all about star ratings on how good a player can be for your team.

bluebornwildcat likes this.
  23. REDFISTFURY3

REDFISTFURY3 1250+
    Expand Collapse

Now you might be a little wrong about Self he has had alot of NBA level 5* talent.

kyjeff1 likes this.
  24. murph_23

Expand Collapse

Roy Williams has as had a ton of 5 star players as well. I hate even talking about their program though. Hope you all beat them by 30 this season.

25. KozmasAgain

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't watch a lot of Kansas basketball and I know Self had a few but I don't think he had 5, 6 or 7 on one team like Cal has had. Self is a good coach but he has underachieved compared to the top coaches.

26. murph_23

Expand Collapse

SMH.....another hall of fame coach you put down. Their isn't a perfect coach out there. They all have flaws.

27. KozmasAgain

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow murph are you trying to bait me, I am just going by the facts. He has been to 2 FF's and has won one NT in 19 years at Kansas. I really don't think that is overly impressive and neither do a lot of Kansas fans.

28. murph_23

Expand Collapse

It's hard for me to take Bilas serious the way he has defended UNC. Him downgrading how they cheated for 18 years ( could have been longer) by saying it's just an academic issue is ridiculous. Those fake classes were designed for athletes, but they blended in other students to not make it as obvious.

29. murph_23

Expand Collapse

I know he has some critics considering what has happened to him in the tournament that's for sure. He's still a good coach. Just got inducted in the hall of fame this year. I had no clue he had been at Kansas that long. Sure doesn't seem like it. It's tough to win a title. I know it's easy to criticize Cal because he has coached so many players that are now in the NBA. I understand that as well but I still don't agree with it.

30. nccardfan

nccardfan 4000+
    Expand Collapse

What do you expect him to say? If he starts criticizing them then he just looks like a jealous Duke fan and he loses credibility. But he is a lawyer. Maybe U of L should hire him instead of Smrt.

31. murph_23

Expand Collapse

I just don't think it's right regardless of who he played for or how it could be perceived. Just my personal opinion but I think he's just being a company suck for ESPN. As far as the situation your program is in, I hate it for you all. Even as a rival fan, I don't believe Pitino knew what was going on. The whole situation is terrible.

32. kyjeff1

kyjeff1 One-Star Poster
    Expand Collapse

14 years at KU, not 19.

You make it seem like winning titles is easy. If it was so easy why isn't UL winning it every year? UL has veteran players every year, Pitino doesn't have to start from scratch with a new team every year like Cal does. A veteran team should beat a freshmen laden team more times than not.

Yeah, Cal has sent a bunch of 5* kids to the NBA, but you're conveniently leaving out one fact. Those were mostly freshmen that were drafted on potential. Cousins and John Wall weren't NBA all stars when they were in college, but reading your take you would think that they were.

Winning games with freshmen is much harder than winning games with talented veterans.

Let's not act like UK has lost to a bunch of garbage team's in the NCAAT either. Making it to the E8, final four and title game is still pretty impressive.

What's UL's excuse? Why isn't RP getting his veteran team's to the title game more often?

33. earsky

earsky 6000+
    Expand Collapse

The thought that guys playing for certain coaches,either oad or 3-4 year guys,and becoming an NBA player because of those coaches,is subjective...either way.Players become what they are by working their arses off in the off seasons,if they are 3-4 year guys or by God's grace and having done so already if oads....for the most part.

There are certainly exceptions to both arguments,but for the most part,it falls on the individual that's practicing every day.Because once you think you've arrived,somebody else out there will pass you up.

kyjeff1 and pappy52 like this.
  34. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

Agree - a coach can only deserve so much credit and blame.

KU has had a parade of 5 stars and some of them flame out with the quickness at the next level. Same goes with Duke. And UK. I can't blame any of those college coaches when that happens - and I'm also not going to credit them for guys like Irving, Wiggins, and Wall either.

CaliforniaCatFan58 likes this.
  35. CaliforniaCatFan58

CaliforniaCatFan58 Getting the Hang of It
    Expand Collapse

The main reason WWW and Cal began their association was because of Dajuan Wagner (Son of Milt Wagner). Milt played great for UL. I believe Cal was responsible for Dajuan making approximately $7.2 M before he was injured, or developed an illness during or at the end in his NBA rookie year (He was a OAD Cal instructed to enter the 2002 draft). It is a pretty good feel good story.

35 CaliforniaCatFan58, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  36. rockycard

rockycard 6000+
    Expand Collapse

Is he responsible for Andrew Harrison being a bust?

37. poppycat

poppycat 700+
    Expand Collapse

Don't know who's responsible, but AH signed a 3 year deal with Memphis for $3 mil. If I could just bust like that.............:)

bluebornwildcat and rockycard like this.
  38. Graves51

Graves51 Getting the Hang of It
    Expand Collapse

Recruiting that many #1 players would make a pretty good coach of almost anyone. They come to Cal for one reason only, to get to NBA. Sounds like a sports agent to me.

39. ThroughBlue

Expand Collapse

Wouldn't call two final fours and getting a lot of playing time for a playoff team being a bust but maybe we have different definitions of the word.

40. rockycard

rockycard 6000+
    Expand Collapse

Bust as in he was being heralded as the "next great thing" coming out of high school.

Some players have so much ability and athleticism that even Calipari can't totally screw them up. :)

ThroughBlue likes this.