ADVERTISEMENT

Bilas corrects NBA draft analyst love it

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
Analyst says Cal has produced x-mount of NBA picks Bilas corrects him and states "RECRUITS" not "PRODUCE" Sure BBN will let Bilas have it.

Reactions: gocds
I will explain the difference between the 2 since shockingly you don't know. Calipari gets recruits who are good enough to go pro now but because of the rules they can't. Cal doesn't coach them up or develop them he just provides a platform for them to display their talents.

He gets these recruits from WWW he doesn't even have to recruit them. Pitino gets players who are good athletes like Donovan Mitchell and coaches them into better players.

I will explain the difference between the 2 since shockingly you don't know. Calipari gets recruits who are good enough to go pro now but because of the rules they can't. Cal doesn't coach them up or develop them he just provides a platform for them to display their talents.

He gets these recruits from WWW he doesn't even have to recruit them. Pitino gets players who are good athletes like Donovan Mitchell and coaches them into better players.

There are many examples that can refute everything in your post.

I'd research and post them but I work 60 hours a week and have better things to do.

Just one quick example, Jarret Allen. Projected lottery pick before the season, drops to late first round going to Texas. This happens year after year when guys who want to get in the league asap go anywhere other than UK, Duke, or Kansas.

There are many examples that can refute everything in your post.

I'd research and post them but I work 60 hours a week and have better things to do.

Just one quick example, Jarret Allen. Projected lottery pick before the season, drops to late first round going to Texas. This happens year after year when guys who want to get in the league asap go anywhere other than UK, Duke, or Kansas.
Like the Harrison twins and Pothress? Ben Simmons played at a non basketball school for a really bad coach, yet he still went #1.

Like the Harrison twins and Pothress? Ben Simmons played at a non basketball school for a really bad coach, yet he still went #1.

The twins are doing pretty well. I suppose if they'd played for Maryland they would have been drafted much higher and won a lot more games. Right??

Ben Simmons is the guy that goes top 3 regardless of where he goes. Plus, he quit going to class when the season was over. I don't want a player who does that regardless of how good they are.

And yes, Johnny Jones is one of the worst coaches ever.

Reactions: lil2coupe
You need to watch what you say because Steelers will delete your post. He deleted mine because used Big Blew and sUcK in the same post. However back to your post it is not stupid to say WWW is a recruiter for U.K. It is pretty well known that Calipari and several other coaches are connected with WWW.
Cal has been connected to WWW long before U.K. The talk shows in Memphis used to talk about it all the time when Cal was in Memphis. I guess you don't remember a few years ago when U.K. was in the FF and WWW was sitting front and center and the other coaches requested his removal.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
By the way all you have to do is google World Wide Wes and then read the whole article. Then scroll down to the part where it says WWW's association with coaches and players and click on it. Calipari is quoted as saying that WWW is associated with the U.K. Program.

WWW's place in college basketball is WELL known by everyone. He approaches top athletes and tells them where to go and if they do what he says he promises them a lucrative commercial contract. His connection to Cal goes way back so you can believe what you want to believe but everybody else knows the truth.

Yeah it is easy to recruit kids to Kentucky the school recruits itself. I guess you forgot the Billy Gillespie years you weren't even getting 2 star athletes. I am not trying to bait you into anything you are the one on our board. As far as Cal is a good coach I disagree with you on that as well.

I am not a U.K. Fan so I don't keep up with anything about your program. I do know that Cal has had around 30 five star athletes and has only won one title. Give that many 5 star athletes to Pitino, Roy Williams, Bill Self and a number of other good coaches and they would have won multiple titles by now.

Yeah it is easy to recruit kids to Kentucky the school recruits itself. I guess you forgot the Billy Gillespie years you weren't even getting 2 star athletes. I am not trying to bait you into anything you are the one on our board. As far as Cal is a good coach I disagree with you on that as well.

I am not a U.K. Fan so I don't keep up with anything about your program. I do know that Cal has had around 30 five star athletes and has only won one title. Give that many 5 star athletes to Pitino, Roy Williams, Bill Self and a number of other good coaches and they would have won multiple titles by now.
Now you might be a little wrong about Self he has had alot of NBA level 5* talent.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I don't watch a lot of Kansas basketball and I know Self had a few but I don't think he had 5, 6 or 7 on one team like Cal has had. Self is a good coach but he has underachieved compared to the top coaches.

Wow murph are you trying to bait me, I am just going by the facts. He has been to 2 FF's and has won one NT in 19 years at Kansas. I really don't think that is overly impressive and neither do a lot of Kansas fans.

It's hard for me to take Bilas serious the way he has defended UNC. Him downgrading how they cheated for 18 years ( could have been longer) by saying it's just an academic issue is ridiculous. Those fake classes were designed for athletes, but they blended in other students to not make it as obvious.
What do you expect him to say? If he starts criticizing them then he just looks like a jealous Duke fan and he loses credibility. But he is a lawyer. Maybe U of L should hire him instead of Smrt.

Wow murph are you trying to bait me, I am just going by the facts. He has been to 2 FF's and has won one NT in 19 years at Kansas. I really don't think that is overly impressive and neither do a lot of Kansas fans.
14 years at KU, not 19.

You make it seem like winning titles is easy. If it was so easy why isn't UL winning it every year? UL has veteran players every year, Pitino doesn't have to start from scratch with a new team every year like Cal does. A veteran team should beat a freshmen laden team more times than not.

Yeah, Cal has sent a bunch of 5* kids to the NBA, but you're conveniently leaving out one fact. Those were mostly freshmen that were drafted on potential. Cousins and John Wall weren't NBA all stars when they were in college, but reading your take you would think that they were.

Winning games with freshmen is much harder than winning games with talented veterans.

Let's not act like UK has lost to a bunch of garbage team's in the NCAAT either. Making it to the E8, final four and title game is still pretty impressive.

What's UL's excuse? Why isn't RP getting his veteran team's to the title game more often?

The thought that guys playing for certain coaches,either oad or 3-4 year guys,and becoming an NBA player because of those coaches,is subjective...either way.Players become what they are by working their arses off in the off seasons,if they are 3-4 year guys or by God's grace and having done so already if oads....for the most part.

There are certainly exceptions to both arguments,but for the most part,it falls on the individual that's practicing every day.Because once you think you've arrived,somebody else out there will pass you up.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and pappy52
The thought that guys playing for certain coaches,either oad or 3-4 year guys,and becoming an NBA player because of those coaches,is subjective...either way.Players become what they are by working their arses off in the off seasons,if they are 3-4 year guys or by God's grace and having done so already if oads....for the most part.

There are certainly exceptions to both arguments,but for the most part,it falls on the individual that's practicing every day.Because once you think you've arrived,somebody else out there will pass you up.

Agree - a coach can only deserve so much credit and blame.

KU has had a parade of 5 stars and some of them flame out with the quickness at the next level. Same goes with Duke. And UK. I can't blame any of those college coaches when that happens - and I'm also not going to credit them for guys like Irving, Wiggins, and Wall either.

Reactions: CaliforniaCatFan58
WWW's place in college basketball is WELL known by everyone. He approaches top athletes and tells them where to go and if they do what he says he promises them a lucrative commercial contract. His connection to Cal goes way back so you can believe what you want to believe but everybody else knows the truth.

The main reason WWW and Cal began their association was because of Dajuan Wagner (Son of Milt Wagner). Milt played great for UL. I believe Cal was responsible for Dajuan making approximately $7.2 M before he was injured, or developed an illness during or at the end in his NBA rookie year (He was a OAD Cal instructed to enter the 2002 draft). It is a pretty good feel good story.

Last edited:
The main reason WWW and Cal began their association was because of Dajuan Wagner (Son of Milt Wagner). Milt played great for UL. I believe Cal was responsible for Dajuan making approximately $7.2 M before he was injured, or developed an illness during or at the end in his NBA rookie year (He was a OAD Cal instructed to enter the 2002 draft). It is a pretty good feel good story.
Is he responsible for Andrew Harrison being a bust?

Both are hall of fame coaches. You don't win that many games by being a "sports agent".
Recruiting that many #1 players would make a pretty good coach of almost anyone. They come to Cal for one reason only, to get to NBA. Sounds like a sports agent to me.

Wouldn't call two final fours and getting a lot of playing time for a playoff team being a bust but maybe we have different definitions of the word.
Bust as in he was being heralded as the "next great thing" coming out of high school.

Some players have so much ability and athleticism that even Calipari can't totally screw them up. :)

Reactions: ThroughBlue
Bust as in he was being heralded as the "next great thing" coming out of high school.

Some players have so much ability and athleticism that even Calipari can't totally screw them up. :)

I wish we would get a few im getting antsy

Many players are over hyped or under coached, I don't really know. Cal has had his share of over and under achievers. Ask Coach K. Be sure to mention Thorton, Jeter, Jackson, and likely Bolden. Check out KU and Self......well not really on and overs.
Over the years, UL and UNC has been loaded with great college players whose skills did not translate to good NBA players. I wouldn't call them losers or under achievers. Now, you have Mitchell who over achieved, got great coaching or both. He just got a
$5 Mil contract and some are miffed that he didn't play 2 more years for free. What would you have done?

Now, you have Mitchell who over achieved, got great coaching or both. He just got a
$5 Mil contract and some are miffed that he didn't play 2 more years for free. What would you have done?

"Some" - who is miffed? Nobody. Careful with all your stretching, you might get your fingers in the ceiling fan if you're real tall.

Since developing players is more LPT face-saving than anything else, let's focus on the NBA Draft stat that matters (and in GREEN, where they might be next year if they're lucky)...

LPT%20Titles%20per%20First-Round%20Draft%20Pick_zpsgmzjx7wj.jpg

"Elite program," my a$$...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT