ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII Expansion now a Complete Clown Show....

Compromise with the media partners has been reached: add two, but no more at this time.

As much as I've been saying that UConn makes sense from the standpoint of media market and revenue generated by their athletic department, the conference couldn't go wrong with the two strongest football schools: Houston and Boise State. That would make for a very strong football league.

I wonder, if ESPN and Fox may want B12 to take six (6) from the AAC and thus destroy the AAC! Taking six(6) of the following schools would do the dirty deed:

Central Florida
Cincinnati
Connecticut
East Carolina
Houston
Memphis
South Florida
Temple

Reactions: American Male
The Big 12 has made a lot of questionable decisions over the years that have put them in the predicament they are in.

1) They lost Colorado and Nebraska because of Texas running the show in the Big 12. Then they lost Missouri and A&M for the same reason which put them at 8 teams.

2) They got back up to 10 by inviting TCU and West Virginia. Mistake number 2 was not inviting Louisville when they were actually available which would have put them at 11 teams. Much easier to go from 11 to 12 than it is from 10 to 12.

3) Now I can't figure out what they are doing but the vibe you're getting from them is they are desperate. They say they want to expand but they can't figure out how many they want to invite and they want to interview 17 candidates. I've never seen expansion with 17 potential candidates. Look at who some of these candiates are: San Diego State? SMU? New Mexico? Northern Illinois?

The fact that they're looking at 17 groups pretty much shows they have no direction and really no idea what they're doing.

If they add four or more, it probably means they think somebody is leaving. Maybe the Texas and Notre Dame to the ACC idea is not far fetched after all.

The Big 12 has made a lot of questionable decisions over the years that have put them in the predicament they are in.

1) They lost Colorado and Nebraska because of Texas running the show in the Big 12. Then they lost Missouri and A&M for the same reason which put them at 8 teams.

2) They got back up to 10 by inviting TCU and West Virginia. Mistake number 2 was not inviting Louisville when they were actually available which would have put them at 11 teams. Much easier to go from 11 to 12 than it is from 10 to 12.

3) Now I can't figure out what they are doing but the vibe you're getting from them is they are desperate. They say they want to expand but they can't figure out how many they want to invite and they want to interview 17 candidates. I've never seen expansion with 17 potential candidates. Look at who some of these candiates are: San Diego State? SMU? New Mexico? Northern Illinois?

Don't try to go over to their board and discuss it...They're VERY sensitive...I've been blacklisted because I flat out told them it was a cluster#U@K with what was going on with the B-12!!!

:cool:

I think it is a move to shock the TV networks and force the networks hand. The news already dropped about their network partners not loving the idea of expansion to take advantage of the contract. The ultimate mistake was not going back to 12 in the first place. They looked at the money each original Big 12 member would get and decided it was best to stay at 10; remember TCU and WVa were not or are not getting full shares.

The most obvious play is to add BYU, since it is the only program out there with so value and then add either Houston, Memphis or Cincy. If money is that important, Memphis is welling to take less and FedEx would contribute. So, BYU and Memphis.

I wonder, if ESPN and Fox may want B12 to take six (6) from the AAC and thus destroy the AAC! Taking six(6) of the following schools would do the dirty deed:

Central Florida
Cincinnati
Connecticut
East Carolina
Houston
Memphis
South Florida
Temple
No, they do not. ESPN and Fox Sports have already said that they think those teams would produce an inferior product and would not be worth what they would have to pay the Big 12 to air those games. The networks are much happier with the less pricey contracts they have with the AAC and the other group of five conferences

Over the past few years, Northern Illinois has been better than several of the other schools named. I don't see how interviewing Arkansas State or New Mexico helps them when they don't have much to offer.
I can see the conference turning this into a bidding war between those 18 schools by seeing who will bring in the most outside money (I.e. P&G or FedEx) while be willing to accept the least amount of payouts for the first few years.

From the article:

Whenever the Big 12 makes a decision on expansion, the league certainly will have done its due diligence.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby will conduct video conferences with 17 schools that have contacted the league about being considered as expansion candidates, sources told ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...er-bob-bowlsby-interview-17-schools-expansion

I have to agree with the OP....This is truly a circus that pretty much sums up the history of the B12-4+2=10 Conference....

So the B12 is now considering teams from each of the 4 time zones....lol!

Why even bring up the subject of expansion if you haven't already done your homework prior to doing so?....The B12 should have already known which 2 or 4 teams would be the best fit, but again, we're talking about B12 leadership?

I of course would love for the ACC to nab both Texas and Notre Dame in the future to get to 16 on the gridiron, but I don't worry about that too much because I like where the ACC is right now, and where it's going to be in the future, especially once the Network starts in 2019?.. And it's going to be interesting to see what kind of interest that the new Digital ACC Network generates this year because that could be where the future actually lies?..Nonetheless, the future is very bright indeed, and I too am glad that the Louisville Cardinals are now part of the family....

The Big 12 should probably become their namesake once more, and invite 2 teams, and end this clown show as mentioned by the OP....However, it is very entertaining to those of us who could care less about the B12 conference !

ACC.....ACC....ACC....!

Why even bring up the subject of expansion if you haven't already done your homework prior to doing so?....The B12 should have already known which 2 or 4 teams would be the best fit, but again, we're talking about B12 leadership?

They have done their homework. This issue is not about which team is the best fit. Again, this all hinges on the pro rata clause, and lowballing the new schools. The reason they are interviewing all these schools is to see which ones will take the lowest amount.

It's hard to believe they'd be hostile to such a helpful observation!

;);););)

Don't try to go over to their board and discuss it...They're VERY sensitive...I've been blacklisted because I flat out told them it was a cluster#U@K with what was going on with the B-12!!!

Reactions: atiba
It's hard to believe they'd be hostile to such a helpful observation!

;);););)

I started out correcting them about Louisville NOT being an option for expansion...As Several still thought we were...Then a few of them started bad mouthing Louisville and the ACC...Thus I asked them why the B-12 was involved in such a cluster#u@k...No other conference was during any part of their expansions...I then pointed out that Texas was a MAJOR problem causing the conference to be in the shape they were in, and how many teams have left a conference that had Texas a part of it...TRUTH Hurts!!!

Reactions: wilkie01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT