ADVERTISEMENT

Big Time Need Next Season- Bigs And Shooting

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Cards desperately need a good center. One with size that can provide solid rebounding, defense, some rim protection, and at least some scoring. We all saw how overwhelmed our front court was without one against other ACC front lines.

I feel the PF position is solid next year with Withers and JJ. Withers especially can do a lot of damage at his natural PF position.

And then the lack of 3 point shooters was also a big weakness in this year's team. So far Mack is bringing in Cross to help but more sharp shooters would be ideal.

Reactions: Guardman
Grad transfers can sort that out.

Gabe is 6'11
Roosavelt Wheeler is 6'10

I think a grad transfer big is the fix. Just get bigger body to go with the forwards. I think the roster will be better than we think next year, as our young guys got a lot of experience this season.

Reactions: shadow force
Grad transfers can sort that out.

Gabe is 6'11
Roosavelt Wheeler is 6'10

I think a grad transfer big is the fix. Just get bigger body to go with the forwards. I think the roster will be better than we think next year, as our young guys got a lot of experience this season.

If Malik comes back and stays healthy, and both of those are a big if, then I'll feel much better about the center position. Gabe has some potential and looks like he knows how to play the game, but is a couple steps slow right now. That takes time to acclimate to the college game. But he does have size and looks willing to learn.

I haven't seen Wheeler play but he is coming off an achilles tear which is a big injury to try to come back from. He might not be the same player he was before it happened. So I think you're correct and Mack will try to bring in a big man transfer of some sort to shore up that position.

They should be good at the SF and PF positions. Incoming kids can fill in nicely.

The center spot is extremely tricky. If Malik comes back both guys coming off injury can you trust they make it through a year? Have to get another to be safe but who comes with 3 bigs on roster?

PG and SG could need 2-3 guys or 0-1 depending on Jones/Johnson.

All this depends on current players staying put and no one knows that answer

We need an enforcer. Someone like Montrezl or Gorgui is who can just scare people down low. A guy like that can rebound, block shots, alter shots, intimidate, and bully their way to the basket. Just scare people and change who they are. I'll take one of those over a gunning guard.

I never thought I would say this, but the future of college basketball can be seen in the Big10 .............those tall and strong centers that can play physical are where we need to go. Gabe fits the physicality portion, but needs to be a lot more aggressive.

I never thought I would say this, but the future of college basketball can be seen in the Big10 .............those tall and strong centers that can play physical are where we need to go. Gabe fits the physicality portion, but needs to be a lot more aggressive.

Agree....but he is still quite young and raw. Has much room for growth both physical strength and mental aspect of the game. He is one with a huge upside of potential. Up to him on how hard he wants to work to make it happen. :)

I thought the same thing Mayoman; and this is where I believe Coach Mack can be most effective in helping Gabe find that internal desire to reach his potential.

The only game where Gabe played much, was in a convincing win over GT. Gabe only scored 4 points, but had 6 rebounds in only 16 minutes. He missed some easy shots (2-6). What I do recall was how much inside presence he had on the defensive end of the court, and how we separated ourselves from a close game during his minutes.

Reactions: Mayoman
I still am really confident with another year of Dre Davis, Traynor, Slaz, and Withers. Those guys really showed out this year without really ever playing much. Imagine their growth this offseason. Stronger with actual game action under their belt.

Nickelberry is the one to watch. Injuries have limited him so much, but I think there's a much clearer path for him to get minutes next year and I think him in his 3rd year can really show out. Matthew Cross will be big too.

Sam coming back will be a huge boost. He's going to be a All America candidate if he comes back. Ellis is the #1 junior college player.

So then what? Does Malik or Carlik return? Another year of turnover at PG? Can we add another transfer big? Which of the freshman step up?

Biggest thing in 2021-2022, our weak spots this year will be better because of returning guys and the role players overall will be stronger. The issue is, we won't have the Carlik and DJ level guys to carry us, unless Ellis and Sam step up.

We have a great core of talent and I truly believe that 2023 is the year, honestly I kind of want 2022 to be the year we sit out if we have to sit, because no expectations and playing young guys will be big going into the 2022-2023 season,

Malik should return. With that injury he will not get drafted. Overseas m as maybe.

They should be good at the SF and PF positions. Incoming kids can fill in nicely.

The center spot is extremely tricky. If Malik comes back both guys coming off injury can you trust they make it through a year? Have to get another to be safe but who comes with 3 bigs on roster?

PG and SG could need 2-3 guys or 0-1 depending on Jones/Johnson.

All this depends on current players staying put and no one knows that answer
Mack's activity in the transfer port seems to indicate the former.

We need an enforcer. Someone like Montrezl or Gorgui is who can just scare people down low. A guy like that can rebound, block shots, alter shots, intimidate, and bully their way to the basket. Just scare people and change who they are. I'll take one of those over a gunning guard.
Agreed. Unfortunately, Malik is not that guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT