ADVERTISEMENT

Big series starts tonight against FSU

nccardfan

Four-Star Poster
Sep 5, 2007
lawrenceburg, KY
Cards really need to win the first game and regain some momentum heading into conference tournament. FSU knows if they sweep the Cards, they’ll win the division based on a tiebreaker. Detmers (10-2) vs LHP Parrish (7-4).
Go Cards!

We're gonna get the best they've got to give. This series might be just what the doctor ordered and a good tune-up for post season at the same time. Let's see how the team responds.

Hard to believe the regular season is about to wrap up. You look at the record (41-12) and anyone would say "what a great year." If you've followed closely, however, and maybe it's just me, it doesn't exactly feel that way. Two losses to an average UCONN team. A home loss to a bad Xavier team. Fortunate to avoid the sweep at home at the hands of Georgia Tech. It took 11 innings in game 3 to avoid the sweep at Clemson. The Tigers would go on to fall apart after that game. The Vanderbilt game showed the Dores are on a next level. Then the two losses at UVA are sort of inexplicable. And, the IU win was kind of like the win over Clemson in basketball. They got the much needed W, but that one should have been over a lot sooner. Almost gave it away.

But, enough with the negatives. There were a ton of positives, too. Detmer's dominance on the mound, Binelas' emergence, big wins over some very good and ranked teams. The Ole Miss sweep, the Duke sweep, the seldom used Trey Leonard saving the day against Ga.Tech with a two out RBI single in the bottom of the 9th to win the game. That's what baseball gives you- great moments like that. Britton's pinch hit, game winning, RBI single in the 10th against the Rebels. Binelas' and Campbell's homers in the 11th at Clemson to clinch game 3. That was pretty fun. The sweep of then ranked #2 NCST @ NCST. That was huge. The Cards went undefeated against in-state foes (7-0). And, you know, earsky said it best in another thread. Those guys out there playing for Louisville baseball, they are truly a great bunch of guys. It's a team you can really be proud of. And, that's always the case, year after year. Coach Mac is an exemplary leader of the program.

So, here we are with FSU, who the Cards have historically struggled against; 4-10 since joining the ACC. FSU is good, as always. I think if you ask an FSU baseball fan, however, they'd likely say the season has been a little disappointing. But, they've got pretty high standards after having a coach who leads the NCAA in all time wins. There's a lot at stake in this series. Here's to the Cards shaking off whatever quasi-mini funk they've been under. Let's wrap up the Atlantic.

Go Cards!

Reactions: SoulSr
No Tyler. Let’s hope his hand is just sore from the other night and it’s not broken.

I think I see him outside of the dugout and he doesn’t have a cast on. So, it’s probably just stiff and sore.

In the race for the ACC regular season title and #1 seed, the Cards (19-8) enter the series 2 games up on Georgia Tech (17-10) and 3 up on FSU and North Carolina (both 16-11). NC State is also 16-11, but loses the tiebreaker to us because we swept them earlier.

One win eliminates FSU and UNC. Two wins against FSU (or one win and one Georgia Tech loss against Pitt this week) will clinch another ACC regular season title for the Cards.

Reactions: nccardfan and Deeva
Tech won the first game of their series against Pitt 12-7, and the Cards knock off FSU 14-1. Our magic number to clinch is now one!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
Tech won the first game of their series against Pitt 12-7, and the Cards knock off FSU 14-1. Our. magic number to clinch is now one!
We clinched the Atlantic division, now we want the regular season championship and top seed in the tournament. Get that and I think we are a lock for a top 8 national seeding!

No Tyler. Let’s hope his hand is just sore from the other night and it’s not broken.
It is not broken,from what I heard over at the field last night.I would say the pitch that Moss described the other night as "hitting in a strange place" probably a deep bruise type thing that hurts like hell and leaves that stiffness the day after.

Great start to the series. Not hard to see that the fellas were locked in.

Not a good start tonight. Already left a bunch of guys on base. Nick - I could see in the second inning he was struggling keeping the ball down. 3d inning the Noles hit the ball hard when Nick got the ball over the plate. Obvious he was rusty and didn’t have very good stuff YET the coaches leave him out there to get shelled and now we are down by 5 runs. Ive said this before - the only gripe I have is the staff leaves these guys in too long.

Ok, so twice in one game. Luke was left in the game too damn long. Zero anticipation to have someone ready quickly if the pitcher starts to struggle. 9-3 is probably too much to make up tonight.

Georgia Tech knocked off Pitt again tonight, 2-0. Barring a huge comeback by the Cards tonight, it will come down to Saturday’s games.

Reactions: earsky
Georgia Tech knocked off Pitt again tonight, 2-0. Barring a huge comeback by the Cards tonight, it will come down to Saturday’s games.
If both teams win Saturday, what would be the outcome?

The word on the street is win and we are regular season champs and probably a national seed. That's just the word on the street though. Gotta love it though,right?All the marbles tomorrow riding on one game? I do.

Fla St. is loaded..They are better than us across the board. I don't think that our guys want to be remembered that way. Can't wait...

Reactions: PushupMan

Louisville has a one game lead on Tech (20-9 versus 19-10), so UofL would clinch if we both win or if we both lose.

Cards are at least co-champs, but Tech has the tiebreaker if we both end the regular season at 20-10.

Louisville has a one game lead on Tech (20-9 versus 19-10), so UofL would clinch if we both win or if we both lose.

Cards are at least co-champs, but Tech has the tiebreaker if we both end the regular season at 20-10.
Thanks PushupMan!

It is just amazing how good Louisville is under McDonnell. The consistency is very impressive. Clean up the sloppy play in the field and limit walks they will be a tough team to beat.

Reactions: earsky and Deeva
We got to the park about 45 minutes before the start. Wow,the place was electric. Live band outside the gates,people tailgating,senior day...Electric!

Went down to the 1st base line and I could sense that the team was locked in...and they were.
Miller was outstanding,clutch hitting,solid defense...just an outstanding performance all around on the biggest stage to date this season.

Also,I was curious about which day we would see Bennett.An extra day of rest or let him go against a locked in FSU group fresh off a 14-1 shellacking and save Miller for game 3.:)

I think Bennett will bounce back.He had to have some rust.

Reactions: PHCARD
Bennett wore out quickly. Once the hits started he was spent. He will be back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT