ADVERTISEMENT

Big Man Gabe Wiznitzer Commits To Cards

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Edit: He plans to redshirt this coming season.

In a bit of a surprising turn of events, four-star Class of 2021 center Gabe Wiznitzer has committed to the University of Louisville men's basketball program, he announced Tuesday. He will also reclassify to 2020 and join the Cards in the fall.

A 6-foot-11 & 240-pound prospect hailing from Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Wiznitzer is the No. 4 player in the state of Virginia and the No. 123 prospect in the Class of 2021 according to the 247Sports Composite.

Before deciding on Louisville, Wiznitzer had compiled a total of 20 Division I offers including Clemson, DePaul, Iowa, LSU, Ohio State, West Virginia and others.

When you have a frame as large as Wiznitzer's, it's not hard to understand why so many programs were pursuing him. He is a strong finisher, has a solid assortment of post moves, and his size & wingspan make him a great rim protector on the other end.

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/basketball/gabe-wiznitzer-commits-to-uofl

Ok, dumb question time. Isn't it unusual for a player that highly ranked to redshirt? Is he planning on sticking around for a law degree?

Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
Ok, dumb question time. Isn't it unusual for a player that highly ranked to redshirt? Is he planning on sticking around for a law degree?

Perhaps he understands where he is in the talent area in the big picture. Also, he may understand how well CCM has developed big men in the past. At any rate I’m glad we’ve got him.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! May God Bless America!!!

Reactions: chevelle99
He has that one thing you cannot teach. Height. It's a surprise he's willing to red shirt, but maybe he has intentions of sticking around for his degree. That would be refreshing.

It sounds like he already has some bulk to go with the height which is good too. And with a redshirt year to get in better shape hopefully he'll be a solid big man for the future.

Gabe on redshirting:

"I chose Louisville and coach [Chris] Mack because he has an in-depth plan for me and my development," Wiznitzer said. "I’ll be with their strength coach everyday and practicing against some of the best bigs in the country every day too."

"I just think going 2020 and redshirting will allow me to be the most ready I can be whenever I am able to play," he added. "Overall it’s just a great situation and I have a lot of trust in the coaching staff."

He also shot 42% from 3.

ADVERTISEMENT